Spyder Garage

Default BRP Backrest question

Hi all,

I just got a backrest for my 2016 RTS. I installed per the directions, I know the plate under the seat is correct. However when backrest is installed, it is pulling the vinyl back about 1/2”. I have checked the installation against the picture in the instructions. The locking mechanism is on the right, and this lines up with the notch in the right fork of the mount. Curious if anyone else had this issue? I thought maybe the seat was broken in and settled in a place that isn’t factory anymore. Haven’t tried to reverse the installation because the lock will no on the left side and there is no notch on that fork.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

It looks like you've got a Comfort Seat, and a standard seat backrest & plate..... altho I might have that a-about... could it be a standard seat with a Comfort Seat backrest??? Whatever, I think you've got the wrong backrest & bracket for that particular seat! Or maybe it's the wrong seat for that backrest & bracket?!

The Comfort Seat moves the rider seat's lumbar hump & the backrest slot 2" further back than that found on the Standard seat, and as a result, the Comfort Seat Backrest Bracket that bolts onto the bottom of the seat pan also needs to move the backrest receiver back 2" to correspond with the backrest itself being 2" further back.... or the backrest won't fit, pretty much as your pic shows!

So at the very least, you've got a Backrest Bracket/seat miss-match.... ie, the wrong bracket for that seat; altho if you're sure that the backrest & bracket are correct for each other, then it's gotta be the entire Bracket AND Backrest combined that're wrong for THAT seat?!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-19-2020 at 07:24 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I agree with Peter; the seat where you have the backrest mounted looks just like my Comfort Seat.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I have the same year and model and the seat is definitely different than mine. However, the backrest looks the same as mine. Looks like you've got a mismatch there.

LORD GRANT ME THE SENILITY TO FORGET THE PEOPLE I NEVER LIKED,
    THE GOOD FORTUNE TO RUN INTO THE ONES I DO LIKE,
    AND THE EYE SIGHT TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE.

2016 Spyder RTS

Spyder Garage

I bought my backrest for my 15 RTL from Big Bike Parts and had a problem identical to yours. Looking down through the hole in the seat I calculated how far and in what direction the riser had to move to be aligned. Then I placed the bottom mounting bracket and the riser on-edge on a piece of cardboard and traced their profiles. Next using a wide blade cold chisel with a 4 pound hammer and a piece of railroad iron on my concrete driveway, I increased the existing bends until they matched the profile. It takes HEAVY hits to make the 1/4" steel move.....but it will! Lots of luck, and it sounds way more complicated than it really is

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oh my, a 4 pound hammer, a cold chisel and piece of railroad iron, now that sounds exciting and creative. A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. :>) I thought my back rest was a tad complicated.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    It looks like you've got a Comfort Seat, and a standard seat backrest & plate..... altho I might have that a-about... could it be a standard seat with a Comfort Seat backrest??? Whatever, I think you've got the wrong backrest & bracket for that particular seat! Or maybe it's the wrong seat for that backrest & bracket?!

The Comfort Seat moves the rider seat's lumbar hump & the backrest slot 2" further back than that found on the Standard seat, and as a result, the Comfort Seat Backrest Bracket that bolts onto the bottom of the seat pan also needs to move the backrest receiver back 2" to correspond with the backrest itself being 2" further back.... or the backrest won't fit, pretty much as your pic shows!

So at the very least, you've got a Backrest Bracket/seat miss-match.... ie, the wrong bracket for that seat; altho if you're sure that the backrest & bracket are correct for each other, then it's gotta be the entire Bracket AND Backrest combined that're wrong for THAT seat?!
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

You don’t have the comfort seat do you?

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the feedback! It does appear I have a mis-match. 2" is EXACTLY the distance the mount needs to come forward, so I'm guessing I have the STANDARD seat?? If the comfort seat moves the driver back 2" that would be where my backrest would want to be - but it ain't.

The BRP# is 219400478 for the backrest. Box said it was for the comfort seat, so the fact it is pulling the vinyl back about 2" says I have a regular seat. Another funny thing - I CANNOT locate this part number anywhere. I Googled it, tried BRP's site, etc. It appears to have been replaced with another part number or something. IDK maybe the dealer somehow got the backrests swapped in their boxes years ago.

I will try to locate the seat's PN# today sometime. There is no stitching, two tone vinyl and super comfy, so I assumed it was the comfort seat. Dang shame because a friend happened to be at a shop and that $550 backrest was 1/2 price.