Thread: Dealers in NC

Spyder Garage

Default Dealers in NC

I am about to start looking/testing Spyders, would appreciate anyone's experience, positive or negative with dealers within 100 miles of the Raleigh-Durham area. Thanks

Spyder Garage

Honda, Can-Am, Sea-Do of Winston-Salem are decent enough. That is where I bought mine a couple years ago. The owner and sales people are very nice, and the service department does a good job. I had the 3000 mile service done there last year, and just had the annual/9300 mile service done last week. I do all my own oil changes. Saves time getting the service done, and dollars because you can get you oil, filter, o-rings, and seals from BajaRon for about 40 bucks less than the dealer charger.

Cheers
    Bill

Spyder Garage

I bought mine from HW-S also and since Matthews Fun Machines was sold Winston is my go to dealership for things I can't do. Brewer Cycles is in Henderson but I know nothing about them.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have a slightly different take on the Winston dealer. I think their service is excellent. They were able to remove my stripped out steering bolt in less than an hour and charged me about 60 bucks. I'll go back to their service department. Not quite as impressed with their sales department. I've tried three times to speak to a salesman about buying either a new RT or F3 Limited. The first time I called, the girl who answered the phone said she couldn't help me and hung up. The second time they sent me over to some guy who knew less about Spyders than I do. The third time (I'm a glutton for punishment), I waited about 45 minutes and never got to speak with a salesman. Not a great way to do business.

I bought mine from Schronces in Taylorsville. They're a much smaller operation so their prices might be a little higher and their selection sucks but they're friendly and helpful. The Winston dealer needs to take customer service lessons from them.

I'll probably buy my next Spyder from Schronces unless Winston really steps up their game and/or they give me a deal so good I want to wet myself. Not seeing either of those happen, unfortunately.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the responses. Brewer is closer to me so I would like to get some feedback on them. But Winston is half way between my home in Raleigh Durham and seasonal home in Boone, so that would work. Mostly concerned about good service, and will feel out their sales staff this Saturday. Again appreciate the feedback.

Spyder Garage

Ask to see Ron Dob in sales.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

ANOTHER positive for Winston-Salem Honda CanAm. bought my 2015 RTL there. phone calls about bikes are less serious(usually just getting preliminary info)better to go in person. I understand they might be moving soon to new location. Can't beat them, they will mount a rear tire bought by me, a big plus.
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Slick51 View Post
    Thanks for the responses. Brewer is closer to me so I would like to get some feedback on them. But Winston is half way between my home in Raleigh Durham and seasonal home in Boone, so that would work. Mostly concerned about good service, and will feel out their sales staff this Saturday. Again appreciate the feedback.
    are you member of Triangle Spyders on FB? you will get some good info from the members there about those dealerships. i'm a member, have only ridden with 2 members so far
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodaddict View Post
    ANOTHER positive for Winston-Salem Honda CanAm. bought my 2015 RTL there. phone calls about bikes are less serious(usually just getting preliminary info)better to go in person. I understand they might be moving soon to new location. Can't beat them, they will mount a rear tire bought by me, a big plus.
    They moved about 5 or 6 months ago to Clemmons.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Ask to see Ron Dob in sales.
    Jay, regret to tell you that Ron has retired. He was about the only knowledgeable salesman there. They have now moved to new quarters in Clemmons and I didn't recognize anyone in sales when I was there a couple weeks ago. I browsed around the showroom floor for good bit and never had a sales person approach me.

On other hand, Mak?, the Service Writer who has been with them several years now, is still there and going strong and so is Steve the Can Am mechanic.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Check out Sport Durst in Durham. I get all my service done there, and they are great. Avoid Team Powersports in Garner, they are a bunch of thieves.
    I had a buddy come by to use some straps and a ramp to pick up a honda 300 that he was buying. They came up with a price of just over $6,000 out the door, but they were going to let him have it for $5800. I asked how much was the list price on this new 2019. When we zoomed into the picture, the sticker price was $4799. I told him to just back into the dealership and drop his pants, because they were screwing him good. When he asked what I would pay, I told him I would walk in with $4k in my hand and another $500 hidden in other pockets. But with his negotiating skills, I would think he could get it for $5000 out the door. He called me back to say he told them a friend told him he was paying too much and he only had $5100. They said, Ok, we will do you a deal and let you have it for only $5,000. He was happy, but he still left them $500 more than he needed to.
    That is also the dealership that tried to convince me that the F3 base model had the 998 engine
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Thanks, Ted. Ron can go on to more riding now. As long as Steve is still there I'm confident the good service will continue. Max has been very helpful each time I've been the although recently all Steve has done is install new rear tires but, best of all he checks the belt tension with a Gates meter and I've never experienced any vibration.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    Check out Sport Durst in Durham. I get all my service done there, and they are great. Avoid Team Powersports in Garner, they are a bunch of thieves.
    I had a buddy come by to use some straps and a ramp to pick up a honda 300 that he was buying. They came up with a price of just over $6,000 out the door, but they were going to let him have it for $5800. I asked how much was the list price on this new 2019. When we zoomed into the picture, the sticker price was $4799. I told him to just back into the dealership and drop his pants, because they were screwing him good. When he asked what I would pay, I told him I would walk in with $4k in my hand and another $500 hidden in other pockets. But with his negotiating skills, I would think he could get it for $5000 out the door. He called me back to say he told them a friend told him he was paying too much and he only had $5100. They said, Ok, we will do you a deal and let you have it for only $5,000. He was happy, but he still left them $500 more than he needed to.
    That is also the dealership that tried to convince me that the F3 base model had the 998 engine
    I have been to Sports Durst many times over the years, I wasn't sure they were the place to go since I have rarely seen more than a couple of Spyders on the floor, seemed it was a stepchild brand for them.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    On other hand, Mak?, the Service Writer who has been with them several years now, is still there and going strong and so is Steve the Can Am mechanic.
    If the service writer you're referring to is the guy w/the goatee (beard?), he's still there and is helpful. Steve was the one who removed that pesky bolt. He's the reason I'll take my Spyder back for more service in the future. I think Steve said he was on SL but I can't remember what username he said he went under.