Spyder Garage

Default 2016 F3-T rear shock - what's the next step up?

So I have the stock rear shock. With me and the fiance, we just go over the max weight limit. I assume that I cannot adjust the stock shock at all? If I cannot, what would be the next step upward, but be very budget friendly?

I see the 2 UP shock, but I do not see one for the F3-T. So any advice would be great please.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by acdcking12 View Post
    So I have the stock rear shock. With me and the fiance, we just go over the max weight limit. I assume that I cannot adjust the stock shock at all? If I cannot, what would be the next step upward, but be very budget friendly?

I see the 2 UP shock, but I do not see one for the F3-T. So any advice would be great please.
    Other members here have changed the spring ..... to a higher rate ...... Send " hOgr1der " a PM , I know He did it recently ....good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Your F3-T has the air bag rear suspension. You can put as much as 70 pounds of air in the bag. I'm a heavy-weight and my wife is not a light-weight. 65# of air works great for us. You really shouldn't need to do anything with the shock.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Michaelscs View Post
    Your F3-T has the air bag rear suspension. You can put as much as 70 pounds of air in the bag. I'm a heavy-weight and my wife is not a light-weight. 65# of air works great for us. You really shouldn't need to do anything with the shock.
    I can add 70 pounds to the air bag? I was always worried how much to put in it. Can't seem to locate a definitive number.

Spyder Garage

A sticker with the air pressures list is under the passenger seat.
    Bob

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RNBOB View Post
    A sticker with the air pressures list is under the passenger seat.
    Bob
    I have seen that, but I will admit that I am too stupid to be able to read it correctly.

Spyder Garage

I know on the RT you can go up to 90 psi I that bag! L!!ook it up in the owners man!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Michaelscs View Post
    I brought my 2021 F3-T home last night. I can’t believe that bad boy is in my garage. I’m so happy. I read endlessly about it before I actually got it. When I asked the bozos at the dealership about PSI for the rear bag, they all looked at me like I was insane and didn’t know what I was talking about. Well, wouldn’t you know it… When I located the valve and checked the PSI it was at zero. I’m SO disappointed with them. Anyhow— there are so many conflicting answers.... I understand it depends on your weight, ride preference, etc but does can Am recommend a “standard” psi?

Spyder Garage

If you only ride one up, keep it light...25-30lbs. You can let it out if its too much. I weigh 175lb and find that 25lb works best for me. Don't get carried away with the pump...the bladder is small, and it only take a couple of secs to overfill it.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodore View Post
    I brought my 2021 F3-T home last night. I can’t believe that bad boy is in my garage. I’m so happy. I read endlessly about it before I actually got it. When I asked the bozos at the dealership about PSI for the rear bag, they all looked at me like I was insane and didn’t know what I was talking about. Well, wouldn’t you know it… When I located the valve and checked the PSI it was at zero. I’m SO disappointed with them. Anyhow— there are so many conflicting answers.... I understand it depends on your weight, ride preference, etc but does can Am recommend a “standard” psi?
    The dealership should have been able to inform you about the valve, but honestly, most of the sales staff know nothing about these bikes. But to their defense, the reading being on 0 is not unusual. Mine tends to leak down and is on 0 most of the time. I just add to it whenever the wife is going along for a ride, or if I am going for a long ride (softer for the bottom). But adding too much air will make the bike wallow in the corners, so I tend to keep my pressure very low.
    On another note, is there a problem with having 0 pressure in the bag? At 0, my bike really corners really well. And should I take it back as a warranty item if it does leak down?
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    The dealership should have been able to inform you about the valve, but honestly, most of the sales staff know nothing about these bikes. But to their defense, the reading being on 0 is not unusual. Mine tends to leak down and is on 0 most of the time. I just add to it whenever the wife is going along for a ride, or if I am going for a long ride (softer for the bottom). But adding too much air will make the bike wallow in the corners, so I tend to keep my pressure very low.
    On another note, is there a problem with having 0 pressure in the bag? At 0, my bike really corners really well. And should I take it back as a warranty item if it does leak down?
    Thank you for the speedy reply. It's a shame that the people on this forum know a hundred times more than the official BRP dealer here in Montreal Canada. ��

Spyder Garage

When I picked up my new 2019 F3 Limited from the dealer, I didn't have my license yet, so a buddy who has owned 27 bikes rode it back 96 miles, all expressway. He weighs about 285 lbs. When he pulled into my driveway, he commented on how "mushy" the handling was and that he was feeling every bump along the way. (Detroit I-94 has to be one of the worst stretches in the USA) Discover the tires are at 15, 18, 88, and 12lbs, and the rear shock is at 0! Learn as much as you can for DIY for your new Spyder; it is great to know that every upgrade improves the ride/safety/appearance, and especially doing most maintenance jobs yourself. You will read tons of stories about dealers like your own.
    IMHO the OEM shocks don't compare to the Elka-2 shocks. I weigh 250, and the best four upgrades have been 1. Baha Ron Sway Bar 2. Elka-2 shocks (front and rear) 3. Ultimate Seat, and 4. Pedal Commander.
    Congratulations and enjoy the ride!

Spyder Garage

Thank-You boz!

Spyder Garage

I just bought my 2017 F3T from a private seller. It has 2400 miles on it. I read about the air spring and we checked it - mine was at 0. We added air to 15psi and checked it a few minutes later and it was down to 9. Another minute later and it as 4.5. It seems to just leak out almost immediately.

The warning label says it should not have less than 10 psi in it. Any ideas about how to diagnose this leak?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by waywardtrails View Post
    I just bought my 2017 F3T from a private seller. It has 2400 miles on it. I read about the air spring and we checked it - mine was at 0. We added air to 15psi and checked it a few minutes later and it was down to 9. Another minute later and it as 4.5. It seems to just leak out almost immediately.

The warning label says it should not have less than 10 psi in it. Any ideas about how to diagnose this leak?
    I would try putting 40# in and leave it over night and check. The airbag is very small, and checking it with a gauge can cause a loss of a few pounds. So, your loss could be just from checking it.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue