Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Garage door opener built in

I'm normally posting on the F3 forum but my wife has a Ryker that I did this to so I figured I'd pop in. I find it annoying to have to hop off the bike to open the garage door, so I addressed that problem. I used a spare waterproof stainless button from a pack I bought a while ago for a different project and bought a cheap set of garage door opener remotes.

The button:
    Wires soldered to the contacts

Untitled by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr

Adhesive lined heat shrink applied

Wires soldered to button pads on the PCB of the remote

Tessa tape applied and hot glue used as a strain relief, wires fed through slot I dremeled in the housing

Ready to install

Button mounted, remote velcro'd under panel

Rider's view

Button

I'll be doing the same for my Spyder tomorrow. Total outlay, maybe $18 per bike.
    2019 F3S SM6
    2019 F3S SM6 , Black metallic with pearl color change

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Nicely done.
    I carry a keychain size remote in my front pocket and press through my Wranglers to activate.
    It works about three houses away.
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by whodat View Post
    I'm normally posting on the F3 forum but my wife has a Ryker that I did this to so I figured I'd pop in. I find it annoying to have to hop off the bike to open the garage door, so I addressed that problem. I used a spare waterproof stainless button from a pack I bought a while ago for a different project and bought a cheap set of garage door opener remotes.
    I have both of my garage doors spares velcro's ahead of the dash under the front part of the windshield.
    Darrell
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-17-2020 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

Looks good.

I did something similar to my 2013 STL. Had an empty switch position on the switch panel. Found a Carling style switch double throw momentary both ways. I was then able to open either of my 2 garage doors. Now that I have gone to a 2018 F3L. I use my phone, mounted on the handlebars, to open and close my garage doors. Lots of ways to do this.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have done the same thing on my Wing and another previous bike. The only difference was that I put an 1/8" headphone jack just a couple of inches from the remote. The wire from the switch had the mating 1/8" plug, which allowed it to pass through the mounting hole for the switch. Also allowed the remote (which was dropped into a side pocket in the fairing) to be removed and put into a car, if necessary.

Spyder Garage

Good idea. I was wondering what I could use for a connector but didn’t have anything on hand that’d fit. Not worth doing on the ryker since the whole panel comes off so easily and I can't come up with a reason I'd need to separate the button from the remote that wouldn't involve soldering anyway.
    2019 F3S SM6

Spyder Garage

I did this about a year ago and it works without any issue and can be shared with other family members if needed. I even let my brother in once while I was away at movie theater.

https://youtu.be/SMhcsfr29Yg

Spyder Garage

Nice, but having to stop, take out the phone, take off a glove, open the app and open the door is still more trouble than just pressing the button. If you’re someone who rides with the phone on the handlebars and touchscreen capable gloves it seems ideal though.
    2019 F3S SM6

Spyder Garage

Nice, but having to stop, take out the phone, take off a glove, open the app and open the door is still more trouble than just pressing the button. If you’re someone who rides with the phone on the handlebars and touchscreen capable gloves it seems ideal though.
    yes and no in my opinion.
    Those seconds spent looking at your screen and away from the road could be costly. I like the manual button that can be blindly pressed in an instant without any fussing.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have an app for my shop door, but not the garage door. I park my bike in the shop. I just stop in the driveway, off the road, out of traffic, start the app and open the door. Still don't have to get off the bike, but I'm out of traffic.

Spyder Garage

It works great for my situation. Pull up on my garage skirt open app with gloves on and door opens. My gloves allow for screen touch and I am off the road while accessing app. Very quick and serve me well for other scenarios as well. Multiple cars and bikes and don’t need multiple genies for each vehicle. I do like the button set up that was referenced but for me I would need to have several so app works best for my situation.

Spyder Garage

My cars all have Home link built in, the door opener came with two remotes and I bought another pair of openers for cheap just for this. Pretty well covers my needs. Different strokes. Oh yeah, another data point. My garage door opener has a built-in battery backup so even if the power is out, the internet is down, my phone is dead, whatever, I can still as was well stated “blindly press the button” and get in.
    2019 F3S SM6

Spyder Garage

And I thought I was being so clever. Now I just feel like a schmo.
    IMG_1292(Edited).jpg
    Last edited by Tslepebull; 06-21-2020 at 12:21 PM. Reason: correct photo
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Spyder Garage

Hey, sometimes simpler is better.
    2019 F3S SM6

Spyder Garage

If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nice work. Because we don't have a use for the PTT button on the RTL I wish I could do the same but use it.
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

On our bikes I take a similar approach - cheap garage door opener, some solder - but instead of a button - I use a time delay relay and wire it directly to the high beams. ;-). Flash my lights and the garage opens. With the time delay relay if I turn on my high beams it's only activating the opener for half a second to a second and then the time delay relay cuts the signal - so I'm not running down my opener battery. No extra button needed on the bike - and it's not obvious to anyone at all.
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

I’ve seen that approach used before and I like it. My buell came with a remote hard wired to the flash to pass button. Probably work on the Ryker too, haven’t checked. Does have the issue you stated though with hitting the button every time you go to high beam, but honestly how often is that? Won’t work on my Spyder though, the controls are all canbus. On the ryker I considered putting the button in any number of hidden locations but when all was said and done the panel mount was just the easiest and fastest.

Edit, just realized you probably meant you wired the relay to get it’s power from the high beam. Good call.
    2019 F3S SM6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by askitee View Post
    Nice work. Because we don't have a use for the PTT button on the RTL I wish I could do the same but use it.
    Why couldn’t you?
    2019 F3S SM6

Spyder Garage

Won’t work on my Spyder though, the controls are all canbus.
    I won't argue the Canbus argument with anyone - cause I don't want to be the cause of others having problems - but I will state that on 4 different Spyder ('09 GS, '11 RT, '15 F3S, '19 RT) I've tapped the headlight (high beam), I've tapped brake lights, I've tapped turn signals, and I've never had a single problem. My own PERSONAL opinion is that the Canbus fears are over exaggerated.

Yes - the relay gets power from the high beams - tapped at the headlight plug itself. The relay receives the high beam power and actuates the garage door opener but only very temporarily.

The button approach you took works great too - I just didn't want the button. :-)
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Why couldn’t you?
    At the moment my 2017 RTL is still under warranty till May next year, and my lack of ability with electrics . But what I really want the PTT button to do is adjust my driving lights up & down
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

No argument about the canbus. I originally thought you grabbed signal from the switch. On my bike the handlebar controls are canbus so that wouldn’t have worked. Grabbing the signal from the headlight itself is fine and bypasses the canbus entirely.
    2019 F3S SM6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My cars all have Home link built in, the door opener came with two remotes and I bought another pair of openers for cheap just for this. ...
    My van has Home Link (gen 1) as well, but my recently-completed detached shop has an opener that requires a Gen 2 Home Link. Had to purchase a repeater to enable using my Gen 1 button in the van on the Gen 2 opener in the shop. The shop door is the one that is also connected to the app. I figured "while I'm in there adding a repeater, why not get the interweb hook-up, too?"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tslepebull View Post
    And I thought I was being so clever. Now I just feel like a schmo.
    IMG_1292(Edited).jpg
    Not at all. I just velcro a regular opener on the inside of my glove box. Keeps it out of the rain, I have ready access to it when I want to open or close my garage, and I can change the battery easy enough, without removing any body panels.

While I myself don't see the need for soldering, drilling and mounting buttons and wires for a simple garage door opener, still I admire the handiwork of those who have.

Home1.jpg
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

GREAT JOB