Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kenda tires

Spyder Garage

Default Kenda tires

I bought a 2015 F3's when they 1st came out. All my driving is short trips--never over a 150 miles & most are less than 10 miles. 2 bad health years-2 8" titanium rods in my spine-etc ++. Anyway I'm approaching 8000 miles on the original Kenda's, stage 2 upgrade on ECU & airbox, burning rubber whenever on blacktop & I have rough estimate at least 5,000 miles left on all of them. I think Kendas ran in streaks--I'm replacing the fronts with 165/60R-15 VREDESTEIN QUATRAC 5 SL because I threw a balancing weight & a new set only cost $178 + tax versus a rebalance on the old for $xx each.
    This indicates I would have got close to 12K miles on the original Kenda's. Unusual huh? Still keeping the rear Kenda. I have never had a Front End Alignment & tire wear pattern appears appropriate. Thus all Kenda's must vary in quality. My top speed has been 118 mph on speedo prior to Stage 2 upgrade, police radar has become more refined.
    Darrell
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

I have been a Kenda OEM user since 2008. Alaska dealer would not allow anything but the OEM. That said...over five assorted Spyders...

Fronts 20K average miles. Rear: 15K average miles. Only glitch...2014 soft rubber compound...got 8.5K miles on the rear and still got 20K on the fronts.

Fast forward to 2019...moved to Arkansas, put darkside tires on both the 2014 and the 2011. Traded off the 2011 on a new F3L in 19, came with Kendas...so I can start all over there. 2014: the darkside tires look like new at 12K miles all around now.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I think what you (both) are highlighting here is a big part of the problem with the OE Spec Kendas - it really is a crap shoot as to whether you get a set of 'good' tires from them! It's not that it doesn't ever happen, cos clearly it does.... for a lucky few But for many others, their (often repeated) experience has been quite the opposite to yours! Hence the pages & pages of tire threads here & elsewhere!

I'm convinced this is largely due to poor manufacturing processes and even poorer quality control in the Kenda factory, but it's really not helped at all by the tires' BRP originated 'lighter construction specifications' and BRP's continued insistence upon ONLY using those OE spec Kendas when SO MANY Owners/Ryders find the Kendas are, if not 'the' then certainly 'a' limiting factor to the enjoyment of their Spyders! Any ride, handling, and balancing issues plus the 'high-end pricing for a low end product' and the poor tread life (from the rear tires especially) then only adds to the offence & insult that BRP is so wedded to inflicting upon those of us who (some repeatedly) suffer from these 'less than consistently' suitable tires!!

Could you see any car manufacturer getting away with firstly inflicting such a 'so often demonstrably crummy' tire upon their buyers, then compounding that by refusing to let their customers fit anything else, AND charging such a premium for their mandated product too!! But because our Spyders are 'a little different', we are expected to simply suck it up & fork over our hard earned, when the evidence of what I expect that it is now literally millions of safe miles run by Spyder Owners who are prepared and able to fit better quality tires onto the auto rims our Spyders run clearly demonstrates that there ARE safe & suitable alternatives - something that really has to casts some doubts over why BRP still continues to insist upon trying to force us to buy such an over priced poor quality & demonstrably NOT unique product!!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not sure how the Kanine's will perform, however a different a brand might be a problem for me, maybe my dealer won't mount a different brand? I know i won't face that decision for a while having recently bought the 2020, it does not have Kanine's, I hear some of the later 20's do have Kanine's. Having said that, I'm certainly not adverse to trying a different brand, size, whatever, I rode my GW for many years on the 'dark side'.

Spyder Garage

Peter-
    Replacement Tire Shop.---I met the small 3-4 man 4 stall owner yesterday. Real Nice Guy..The tires showed up & took my front wheels inmy SUV. Then today I called them & they said they won't mount ny new tires on the existing rims. Bike--Car..
    Then I went to a smaller 2 man shop & they mounted the tires without a word. The first garage owner became loudly irritated when I tried to talk him into it.
    Hey, Babe Ruth struck-out over 500 times.
    Darrell

Spyder Garage

I've never heard of any tire shop doing that here in Oz, Darrell, or at least not after the 'J' type Auto rim is pointed out.

Maybe it's cos here the tire fitter/tire shop is held legally accountable & liable if they fit the wrong type of tire onto a rim, and our Spyder Rims are most definitely a 'J' type AUTO rim, so it's illegal for a tire dealer/fitter here to fit any tire except an Auto tire onto a Spyder rim, ie, any tire that has 'motorcycle' on it!?!

Did you tell them the tires were going on a Spyder - as opposed to letting them guess, & maybe assume they were going on a SmartCar, early versions of which run very similar 3 stud rims?? Or did they say specifically what their objection to fitting was??And why??
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-20-2020 at 03:40 AM. Reason: here
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Peter---they said it wasn't legal because of "mumbling" pressure needed ?? Then his voice raised & I accepted his decline :-( Anyway--if anyone is having problems finding a shop to install Blackmarket tires(where did that name come from?)--I would advise--look for small shop.
    Darrell
    PS: I had never heard of 'J' type Auto rim is pointed out. I personally think the owners mind was made up Solid. He had seen the F3's the day before & we had a very nice pleasant conversation about the Spyder.
    Some days U get the Bear & some days the Bear gets you--Today I left after the talking heated up--It was a No-win story :-(

Spyder Garage

Sorry, Peter--I missed a few sentences. I wanted an auto tire
    165/60R-15 VREDESTEIN QUATRAC 5 SL installed--just as many others have done.
    Darrell

Spyder Garage

Yeah, no Tire Dealer here in Australia would baulk at fitting any Auto Tire (like the Vredesteins) that meets or exceeds the load & speed specs on the tire placard onto a Spyder rim, cos all Spyder rims are 'J' type rims (ie, auto rims) that are ONLY suitable for tires with that bead profile, ie, all & only Auto Tires! 'Proper' Motorcycle tires have different bead types, and that's why they are illegal to fit onto Auto rims here.

Some tire dealers may have issues getting/operating gear that has suitably small enough spindles to suit our Spyder rims tho!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-20-2020 at 02:29 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sadly, some 'tire installers' are not hungry enough to do the job and there's always someone out there to get r done. Life is way to short, especially in this world climate, to try and convince some nut case to provide a service. I move on quickly because I get very impatient with those people.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You know I seen on the sidewall the new Kanines it did state for the J type rims only.

I tell to the new rear Kanine and the new front Achilles tires the Spyder handles like a dream. A Lot less steering resistance versus the Federals I had on the front end.

Spyder Garage

Could you have had the 1st shop just put in 32# and then let out the rest when you got home ?

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I really hesitate to make any comments on a tire thread (for obvious reasons), but here goes: there are those of us old guys (mid 70's) who just don't want to wrench on our bikes any longer and would prefer to just take it to an authorized Spyder dealer, get new tires mounted and pick it up the next day, easy peezy. There in lies the problem for us. All the Spyder dealers I've contacted will not mount anything but Kendas and I've called more than a few so I know that to be true. I've specifically asked if they would mount correctly sized (car) tires that I bring in with the bike and they've all said no, politely of course. So what are we to do? Like many others my age I'd much rather go dark side when it comes time for new tires but we're kind of between a rock and a hard place on this issue. I have to agree that BRP's policy on this kind of sucks and with 8500 miles on my OEM Kendas it's getting close to decision time.
    2019 F3 Limited
    2019 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LifeLongRider View Post
    I really hesitate to make any comments on a tire thread (for obvious reasons), but here goes: there are those of us old guys (mid 70's) who just don't want to wrench on our bikes any longer and would prefer to just take it to an authorized Spyder dealer, get new tires mounted and pick it up the next day, easy peezy. There in lies the problem for us. All the Spyder dealers I've contacted will not mount anything but Kendas and I've called more than a few so I know that to be true. I've specifically asked if they would mount correctly sized (car) tires that I bring in with the bike and they've all said no, politely of course. So what are we to do? Like many others my age I'd much rather go dark side when it comes time for new tires but we're kind of between a rock and a hard place on this issue. I have to agree that BRP's policy on this kind of sucks and with 8500 miles on my OEM Kendas it's getting close to decision time.
    Got a neighbor kid near you ..... throw him / her a few bucks and have them remove the front wheels .... take to any place that does car tires and they can do the tire swap ..... most dealers charge $125 + an hr. .... and double the price for a Kenda tire compared to almost any auto tire ..... good luck and thank you for your service ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Got a neighbor kid near you ..... throw him / her a few bucks and have them remove the front wheels .... take to any place that does car tires and they can do the tire swap ..... most dealers charge $125 + an hr. .... and double the price for a Kenda tire compared to almost any auto tire ..... good luck and thank you for your service ..... Mike
    Yeah, the fronts are easy, Mike....just unbolt, take to tyre place and bolt back on. However I, and many others are wary about tackling the tear......as a bit of a Klutz, there are too many chances of getting alignment, belt etc screwed up, along with having the right gear to get the axle undone at 155lb. If you have bad knees, changing the rear is a right royal pain in the arse (and the knees ) .

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oh yeah, think the fronts would not be difficult but the rear will always be a Kenda, ain't doing it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Having just changed the tires on (her) '17 RT-S, I can say that changing the rear (ok, removing and replacing the wheel/tire assembly) isn't all that bad. I watched a few videos, found that you can jack up the rear a bit so the tire is off the ground, roll the wheel backward and slip the belt off the side. Doing that, it goes right back on where it was, with NO adjustment necessary.

Other than that, it's just a simple matter of loosening the axle nut (yeah, it's tight), sliding the axle out, removing the caliper bracket, jacking the rear high enough to roll the tire out. Assembly is the reverse of removal.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Yeah, the fronts are easy, Mike....just unbolt, take to tyre place and bolt back on. However I, and many others are wary about tackling the tear......as a bit of a Klutz, there are too many chances of getting alignment, belt etc screwed up, along with having the right gear to get the axle undone at 155lb. If you have bad knees, changing the rear is a right royal pain in the arse (and the knees ) .

Pete
    That;s why I only mentioned the front ...... So if you only do the fronts ....that's a hugh savings .... every little bit helps ...... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ahhh, to be young again and climb up under that bad boy and pull a rear wheel. I struggle to check the air.

Spyder Garage

No Troop--the 1st shoprefused to do anything--the Kedra shows motorcycle tire & that was the end of their effort.. The 2nd shop that did the install put 30 psi in until I got home & lowered to 18 psi.
    Darrrell

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wildrice View Post
    No Troop--the 1st shoprefused to do anything--the Kedra shows motorcycle tire & that was the end of their effort.. The 2nd shop that did the install put 30 psi in until I got home & lowered to 18 psi.
    Darrrell
    D., if that's in a Kenda it's waaaaay to low ..... use 28 psi in an OEM Kenda ..... 18psi is for Auto tires ONLY ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I am very lucky as my son has a professional tire machine ,and he lives just down the road .
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post

Pete
    My thoughts exactly. Sadly, I may end up staying with a Kenda on the rear for just these reasons
    2019 F3 Limited
    2019 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Interesting thread. Got 11K on my OEM rear balony skin Kenda which wore out the center fast. I had my Air Force aircraft mechanic daughter help me with the rear Kumho which was mounted by an independent power sports shop. Just changed out my front kendas at 18k to Toyo Proxes T 185/55-15 and I can't be happier. to see the thread. I got them mounted at the car tire shop for $20 and they couldn't balance them because they didn't have a cone for the PP rims. I added 2.5 ounces of ceramic beads to each and they are smooth as glass now. Check the link in my signature for all the details.

Now, too many years running motocross during my miss spent youth killed my knees and Agent Orange has done a job on my muscle strength. I made some additions to a rolling mechanics stool which you may find helpful. Told in a story of images which I hope Peter deems appropriate.

pvc bars.jpg
    pvc bars 2.jpg
    pvc bars done.jpg
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

No--the owner had no interest in anything I said, tire pressure didn't matter to him, the original tires had Motorcycle stamped on them , thus it needed a motorcycle tire in his mind. We had a word in Sales---NEXT :-)