Thread: charity rides

Spyder Garage

Default charity rides

I am curious about if any of you do charity rides and if there is anything unique about that ride and which ride you enjoyed the most.

I have done several

1) poker run to raise money for the police scholarship fund th help children of fallen officers go to college
    2) poker run to help raise money for equipment for local firefighters.
    3) poker run wearing kilts to raise money for children's hospitals. The "knees in the breeze" ride coincides with the local celtic festival.

I enjoy the "Knees in the breeze" ride as it lets me wear a kilt.

Obviously not on the spyder as I have only had it for about 6 weeks but am planning several rides between now and christmas if they continue to be scheduled.
    2011 rt , pearl white

Very Active Member SpyderConvert's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have been on several "charity" rides with the American Legion Riders of the Post that I belong to. A yearly event is the Gold Start Legacy Run which is a national event usually held in early June. This year's ride was postponed due to Covid 19 restrictions, but I believe that we will do the run sometime in July or August. The purpose of the run is to raise monies to go toward a scholarship fund for children of service members who have lost their lives while on active duty since 9/11/2001 and children of disabled (>50%) veterans. Last year, we were able to raise $55,000 and we are hoping to raise $60,000 this year.

I was informed last night that the ride is tentatively scheduled for 09/11 - 09/13.
    2015 RTL, BajaRon Swaybar, LaMonster LED Headlights and Foglights, LaMonster Spydercuff, LaMonster LED mirror wrap, Magic Mirrors, HMT Brake Light
    2015 RT Ltd. , $" extension Black

Spyder Garage

Rode a lot of charity rides. Not sure how many over the years, maybe 100 or more. Christmas toy rides, St Jude Childrens Hospital benefit rides, rides for local bikers who had medical problems or died. Some of the people who sign up may not have ever rode with a group. Some of the problems you have to watch for are closing up the spacing and running too fast. The front of the group comes to a stop sign or a turn and the rear packs up. On a trike, it is best to hang back and run last or close to the last. Spyder has more brakes than almost any 2 wheeler. Fewer people riding behind you, the less likely one of them will be up your tail pipes. Keep plenty of distance. A deer or a dog running out in the middle of a 100 bike close group at 60 MPH will put 15 or 20 of them down. Riding with a group of strangers is not the same as group riding with the same 8 or 10 people you ride with every weekend.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by remus View Post
    I am curious about if any of you do charity rides and if there is anything unique about that ride and which ride you enjoyed the most.

I have done several

1) poker run to raise money for the police scholarship fund th help children of fallen officers go to college
    2) poker run to help raise money for equipment for local firefighters.
    3) poker run wearing kilts to raise money for children's hospitals. The "knees in the breeze" ride coincides with the local celtic festival.

I enjoy the "Knees in the breeze" ride as it lets me wear a kilt.

Obviously not on the spyder as I have only had it for about 6 weeks but am planning several rides between now and christmas if they continue to be scheduled.
    I do not, for four reasons;
    a) they're typically dominated by loud cruiser bikes in tight formation by people I don't know (dangerous and unpleasant)
    b) the 'donation' requested by each rider is pretty meaningless, but gives participants a false sense of having 'sacrificed' for a good cause
    c) I don't feel the need to salve my conscience for riding a motorcycle by doing a 'charity' ride
    d) if the charity is one I support, then I will give a meaningful amount of money to them
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Riding with a group of people that I am not familiar with is now a no no for Linda and I. Tight formations in this situation can lead to accidents or worse.

Like UP said, I support various groups and I don't need a special ride to do it.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red