Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 2020 RTL or left over 2019/18

I am looking to replace a 2 wheel touring bike (BMW K1600GTL) for 2up riding as I near 70 years old. The one who must be obeyed is not as confident in me on the big bike as she once was. I like some of the features on the 2020 RTL but could save quite a bit on a 2019 left over or a 2018 that was used as demonstrator/training bike, anywhere from 6K to 10K. Does anyone have any opinions on this?

Spyder Garage

If the extra money spent on a 2020 isn't going to cramp your style, I'd go with the 2020. Pretty much it's the same technology, just a redesign on the body. If you want to save a few $$$, then go with the 2019.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

For 2-up riding the 20 RT is what you want. 2” more for ride and 1” more for passenger. The passenger seat is huge and there is 6 gallons more storage on the 20. Go for the 20, you won’t be disappointed
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

That is exactly why I was attracted to the 2020, seems the seating is better and the styling is attractive as well. Updated lighting is another factor. Is that all worth 5K more? Which could go to accessories and farkles....not sure. What do pillions on earlier models think? Guess I need to take the wife for a ride and see what she thinks, I would probably be ok with either, but as you know what they say happy wife, dada dada da.

Spyder Garage

I have a 2020 RTL that replaced my 2015 RTL. I've also had a bunch of Beemers in my prior days. Personally I like the 2020 much more than the prior RT model. What i like are the rear topcase, extra storage overall, seat, much more nimble feel, standard bars, etc. I suggest you try both and then decide based upon fit, function, and price.

Rob
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ride both and I bet you go for the 20
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Hmm, a Beemer rider, eh? If you are like most, you love challenging the twisties. If that's important and you want to save money, a left over F3 Limited is something you might like. You sit in it, not on it like the RT and the suspension is more firm. I still have the original crappy Kenda tires and have yet to upgrade the sway bar and yet, I can toss that bike around some awfully tight twisties like a 19 year old, not the 84 yo that I am. I refuse to grow up.
    Mine was a left over that I bought for 2/3 of MSRP. But I gotta admit, if the new RT had been out when I was buying.....I would still go for the F3L. And I am so glad I did. Another advantage, and a huge one - it's a lot easier to service without having to remove acres of Tupperware.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

I had a 2010 RTS, a 2014 RTS and now a 2020 RT Limited.
    The 2020 RT is by far the superior design in handling, comfort and features.
    Only you can determine how much money you can afford, but if money isn't an issue, go for the 2020 model.
    Or hold out until September. It's only a few months away. You can no doubt pick up a 2020 with an end of year deal.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just seen one recently for like 19k for a 2019 I believe at one on the dealers in Chicago area

Spyder Garage

It’s the huge foot boards. Endless possibilities for easing my arthritic old knees

MWO (Ret'd) SJ Barnes
    ‘20 RTL Stone Grey
    named Britannia in honour of EE Doc Smith’s
    Grey Lensman’s ship.
    Farkles:
    Bestem Carplay
    canamsypderaccessories hitch and wiring harness,
    showchrome trunk rack,
    12v AND dual USB direct to battery in the frunk,
    dual USB switched in the blank console switch spot (parasites the power off the seat heater switch),
    frunk lid organizer,
    trunk organizer,
    showchrome rider backrest,
    ryder and passenger cup holders,
    ram mount for the iPad mini I use for GPS
    quadlock phone mount
    Nautilus horn
    Data blocker on the glove box USB
    Big Bike Parts highway pegs
    Spyderzone dash pouch
    Convex mirrors

‘20 Ryker 900 (my wife’s ryde)
    Farkles
    Slingmods fwd/rev ‘suicide shifter’
    frunk organizer
    dual horn
    Max mount
    Rear seat with tall back rest (not mounted)
    Ryder backrest (not mounted)
    Side bag
    Top bag

top bag makes a good backrest. Will swap on the rear seat if she ever wants to 2up
    2020 RT Limited , Stone Gray

Spyder Garage

How about passenger comfort, that's a big one for me. If I am riding solo I'm still on 2 wheeler.

Spyder Garage

That post was for RICZ, regarding the F3L.

Spyder Garage

I had the same options at my dealer 2020 or leftover 2019. I had a 2011 RT. I went with the 2020 for several reasons one being I'm 6 ft tall and after a couple hrs riding on the 2011 my knees would start to hurt. No problems on the 2020 model

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Slick51 View Post
    That post was for RICZ, regarding the F3L.
    I did install an Utimate Midrider saddle due to its reputation for comfort, plus it moves me back an inch or more and I desperately needed that.
    On the original seat, most of my passengers were a 10 year old and a 14 year old great grandkid. I got no complaints from them, but my wife (who is no lightweight, but not obese) said she would not want to spend a day on it. So far, no passenger experience with the Ultimate.
    Truth be told, a large passenger will have a tighter fit on an F3L than on an RT. So if most of your rides are 2 up, and your passenger ain't skinny, an RT will fit your needs better.
    Most of my rides are solo, and I like that I sit in my F3L, that it's more sporty and it's easier to service. That last one is important to me as I do my own maintenance work.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Spyder Garage

Sold my 2014 RTL about a month ago with no intention of getting another. That lasted about 3 days. My wife liked riding on the back with me and it was her that convinced me to go look at the new ones. We are members of our church bike ministry and I really missed that, so I agreed to go. I was amazed at the amount of room it had over the '14 and my wife was very excited with the extra room she had on the back seat. I sat on an F3 to make sure I didn't want one instead. I did not like the way it sat at all, the seating position on the RT was much more comfortable to me. The 2020 drivers seat is an inch lower than previous years. That was important to me, lower center of gravity. We live about five hundred feet from the Blue Ridge Parkway and because it has rained just about every day since we purchased it, we've only put 500 miles on it but I can tell you, this bike is totally refined over the 2014. Same engine and transmission as the 2014 but oh, so much smoother. I have no regrets getting this bike. I just can't get on it without taking the wife or I'm going to hear about it. Good luck on your purchase.
    2014 RT Limited , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

2020 hands down!! That would be my pick!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaRT View Post
    Sold my 2014 RTL about a month ago with no intention of getting another. That lasted about 3 days. My wife liked riding on the back with me and it was her that convinced me to go look at the new ones. We are members of our church bike ministry and I really missed that, so I agreed to go. I was amazed at the amount of room it had over the '14 and my wife was very excited with the extra room she had on the back seat. I sat on an F3 to make sure I didn't want one instead. I did not like the way it sat at all, the seating position on the RT was much more comfortable to me. The 2020 drivers seat is an inch lower than previous years. That was important to me, lower center of gravity. We live about five hundred feet from the Blue Ridge Parkway and because it has rained just about every day since we purchased it, we've only put 500 miles on it but I can tell you, this bike is totally refined over the 2014. Same engine and transmission as the 2014 but oh, so much smoother. I have no regrets getting this bike. I just can't get on it without taking the wife or I'm going to hear about it. Good luck on your purchase.
    Did you purchase in Winston Salem, if so how did they treat you? I am planning on stopping there today on my way home to Raleigh, I have a seasonal home just outside Todd, NC.

Spyder Garage

We just traded our 2015 RTL for the 2020 because of comfort issues. I went from saying just tow the bike until we get to the destination to now my bags are packed and ready to ride.

Spyder Garage

Are the 20s pretty much straight up MSRP? I don't have a trade. Cash sale. If they could come down a little on price the differential between the 19 and 20 would be more manageable for me.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jspringator View Post
    Are the 20s pretty much straight up MSRP? I don't have a trade. Cash sale. If they could come down a little on price the differential between the 19 and 20 would be more manageable for me.
    It will depend on the dealer. The 20's are quite popular, in spite of the economic times. My tally thread as of this morning shows 52 new 2020 RT's purchased so far. And, I know that I don't have all of them listed.

The fact that you have no trade takes one questionable item out of the mix. There is a lot to play with and that, taken out of the equation, makes it better for YOU.

If you have not mentioned it will be a cash sale...keep that in your pocket until the negotiations are near the end. Many dealers count on getting the finance package...and a lot of times, the dealer gets a cut from the bank (dealers reserve).

Taking that option away from them...gives less to play with.

And remember it is the OTD (out the door) price that counts. You should keep that in mind when negotiating the fine points.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 06-22-2020 at 01:44 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Just make it cut and dried -- Tell the dealer (preferably the sales manager or owner) what you want to pay. If they laugh, leave. I have done this and I always get a call the next day to come in. They usually met my price.
    I'm not suggesting you low ball, but give them a price that's reasonable to them and you by doing some on line research.

Spyder Garage

totally agree with Ricz! Do your research - it's out there (internet) and then go in to the dealer armed with more info than their sales people.
    2019 RTL Asphalt Gray
    2019 RT Limited , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Well, I sat on one today and it's very nice! The floor boards are perfect because they don't tilt in like my 18 does also very roomy too.
    I can say it is Blueish vs the videos on the internet you really couldn't tell if it was blue or green.
    The dealership was very busy with side by side sales and the poor young sales man didn't know how to start the spyder either!!!
    Headlights are cool and can anyone answer this: Why do the low beams dim when the high beams are turned on?
    Not one video I found can confirm this either.
    IMG_20200627_132231.jpg
    IMG_20200627_132341.jpg
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

Just took a 2020 RT Limited for a test ride today and both my wife and I were quite impressed. I because of the much improved leg room, her because of the much improved seating. We just sold our 2005 GL1800 Roadsmith trike and have been looking at many options, she had discounted the Spyder from a 2017 road test but was sold after today.

2020 RT LTD DARK 27,299 -3k discount, -1k rebate, plus freight/Prep/tax etc.
    2020 RT LIMITED (Dark) , Caulk White

Spyder Garage

Winston Salem does not allow demo's.....lack of insurance they say. They've always been this way. Had to ask salesman sitting at his desk looking at computer if he could help me; he had no idea of prices on two used bikes, had to go talk to boss, etc, etc......prob took 15 min to get back to me. They need to do some serious training for their sales people.

Dealer in Albemarle nc, more customer friendly, normally allows demos' but current virus rules demos out...he told me today.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)