Spyder Garage

Default Looking at a 2019 Spyder RT LTD

I'm looking at a 2019 Spyder RT LTD. It is a new leftover.

The battery was dead when I went there today, so I'm unsure of the mileage, but it was represented as a new bike.

Just browsing through these posts, it looks like I should have the dealer do a re-flash and an alignment prior to taking delivery. FWIW I've never had a new car delivered properly aligned. I imagine a Spyder would be the same.

Is the reflash simply called a reflash or does it have another name?

Is there anything else I should be on the lookout for?

Spyder Garage

First, find out if the Spyder has been officially put in use. The dealership should be able to tell you. If it has been put in use you need to know the date because it will affect the length of the 2 yr factory warranty as well as the drop dead date by which you must purchase a B.E.S.T. extended warranty if you are inclined to do so. You have until the 2 yr factory warranty expires to buy the B.E.S.T. extended warranty and the prices vary so don't buy without shopping around and you don't have to buy it from the dealer who sells you the bike.

Second, do not waste any money on an alignment unless it is done by a qualified technician who knows what he is doing with the Rolo Laser Alignment System. According to this link, the only KY dealership with the Rolo system is in Lexington: http://www.spydercomfort.com/dealerky.htm.

Third, I apologize, I don't know what you mean about reflashing unless you're talking about the Engine Control Unit, ECU, in which case I don't believe dealerships have any capability to do so but am not certain. Do you perhaps mean updating the BRP Connect software? The dealership should be able to do that and you should be certain the lastes update has been done. There should be no charge for that.

Fourth, you say the battery was dead when you initially saw the bike. Look at the decal on the left side of the swing arm and it will tell you the month and year the bike was manufactured. If the bike is more than a year old try to get the dealership to replace the dead battery with a newer one. They obviously didn't pay much attention to keeping the battery charged while it was sitting around. Try too to get them to throw in a Deltran Battery Tender Jr. and connect the fused pig tail to the battery.

Fifth, make sure the hard copy of the operator's guide is included with the bike. It should be in a plastic pouch stuck on the battery cover door behind the liner in the front trunk. Read the the thing thoroughly at least twice.

Sixth, be certain you get two chipped keys including a small plastic tag that has the key numbers stamped on it.

Seventh, ask the dealership when the first service is due and if they tell you anything less than 3,000 miles make them show you in the operator's guide where the first service mileage is shown.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

You may find the battery is not even hooked up. Keeps people from playing with them.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Thank you for your responses. The articles I read were referring to the stereo system. I will ask for an update of the BRP connect. The alignment recommendation is Lexington Motorsports. That is the dealer I'm working with.

Spyder Garage

Good luck on the deal you are able to get - I saw one of these last weekend with a price of $7000 off MSRP. I assume this is a good deal - not sure how much of it is a BRP rebate.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jspringator View Post
    The articles I read were referring to the stereo system. I will ask for an update of the BRP connect.
    It's not the stereo system per se but the entire dash/head unit. The latest 2018/2019 firmware update is 20.8. There's another but it's for the 2020s only. Just tell them to check the latest firmware with BUDS. They'll know what you're talking about. If they don't, walk away.

Spyder Garage

My wife just bought a leftover 19 last weekend and so far has about 350 miles on it. Nothing unusual so far. Hers was assembled while we waited at the dealer (went out for lunch too while we waited) Assembly took about 3.5 hrs, so I feel pretty good about it. We also have a great dealership to work with, and that is priceless. Hers was discounted $6500 and we got it for just a touch under $20k, literally out of the crate. The owner had to pluck it off the stack in the storage shed....LOL...
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

He's offering 21,900. I think they may have some flexibility. This is for a LTD.

Spyder Garage

...The alignment recommendation is Lexington Motorsports. That is the dealer I'm working with.
    If they're asking much more than $150 they're asking too much, IMO.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Just bought a new 2019 Rt limited chrome about a month ago for $19,700

Spyder Garage

Called today to try to set up a test ride. He said NO TEST DRIVES! I had a test drive from the same dealership 5 years ago. Dead battery, and I noticed a little bit of mud on the pegs. Getting a real bad vibe. I'm gonna pass.

Anyone know of a 19 RT Limited for the price of Hphammers?

Spyder Garage

Called today to try to set up a test ride. He said NO TEST DRIVES! I had a test drive from the same dealership 5 years ago. Dead battery, and I noticed a little bit of mud on the pegs. Getting a real bad vibe. I'm gonna pass.

Anyone know of a 19 RT Limited for the price of Hphammers?
    Check out iMotorsports. I bought a 2019 F3L from them in December 2019. Got a good deal (for me) then. Probably a better deal 6 months later. They take trades, and deliver for free. Get your pencil sharpened and ready.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

$20,999! I wonder how much they would knock off if I pick it up. I've been buying vehicles over the internet for a long time, but I always fly or drive in for pickup. I want to test drive before I buy.

Any place closer to Lexington, KY?

One more question. When I first started this process I didn't realize the 2020 was an entirely new model. They have the same powertrain, may have upgraded roll bar, has larger/removable rear box, possibly improved seats, different plastics and LED lighting. With the exception of the roll bar, they should handle the same, right? I guess I'm asking if the guts are essentially the same except for the roll bar. I don't want to get into this thing and get buyers remorse for not buying this years model. I'm very leery about buying a first year model of anything.

Spyder Garage

Regarding your last post, #13, you might be wise to call Joe & Ann Meyer of Squared Away, a SL sponsor, as they very recently bought a 2020 RT for Ann who puts more annual mileage on a Spyder than anyone else in the country. They were also on a BRP demo tour in TX with the new 2020 RT until the pandemic closed things down. They can give you the rundown on some of the first MY quirks on the new bike. If I were in the market for a new RT, which I am not, I don't care how much of a deal I could get for a '19 I would pass and, if necessary, even wait until a 2021 RT was available. I understand BRP shut down the production line because of the pandemic and have no idea when/if it will reopen during MY 2020.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

We got a 19' RTL Gray / Black still in the crate
    10 weeks later 1100 miles - love it

Spyder Garage

$20,999! I wonder how much they would knock off if I pick it up. I've been buying vehicles over the internet for a long time, but I always fly or drive in for pickup. I want to test drive before I buy.

Any place closer to Lexington, KY?
    Check out Maximum Power Sports in Peru Indiana 30 miles from Indy. They have both years on the floor and will let you test drive. The ‘19 I saw last weekend was $7k off MSRP.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue