Spyder Garage

Default Thinking about buying a Spyder RT Limited

Thinking about selling the Goldwing about buying a new Spyder RT Limited. I already know how valuable these forums are for each brand and type of bikes. Any recommendations on what extras to purchase with a new Spyder RT Limited would be appreciated. Wife has already said it would be red (same as the wing) and have a trailer. Are there any recommendations on a trailer other than a BRP? I have already found alot of useful info onthe Spyder RT Limited. Are the standard Ultra comfortable heated seats that come on the 2020 RTL the same ones offered as an BRP accessories? Haven't found a dealer rep that could answer that question yet. Has anyone used the Heli-on handle bars yet? They work great on the wing. I see several people have changed their handlebars. Incase anyone is wondering why the change for 2 to 3 wheels, age and the desire to keep riding with out the fear of dropping the wife and bike.

Spyder Garage

Default Thinking about a new ride

Thinking about selling the Goldwing about buying a new Spyder RT Limited. I already know how valuable these forums are for each brand and type of bikes. Any recommendations on what extras to purchase with a new Spyder RT Limited would be appreciated. Wife has already said it would be red (same as the wing) and have a trailer. Are there any recommendations on a trailer other than a BRP? I have already found alot of useful info onthe Spyder RT Limited. Are the standard Ultra comfortable heated seats that come on the 2020 RTL the same ones offered as an BRP accessories? Haven't found a dealer rep that could answer that question yet. Has anyone used the Heli-on handle bars yet? They work great on the wing. I see several people have changed their handlebars. Incase anyone is wondering why the change for 2 to 3 wheels, age and the desire to keep riding with out the fear of dropping the wife and bike.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you're going from a wing to a spyder, the RT is a good choice. I went with the SE6 and glad that i did. Love the paddle shift. Try and demo ride as many models as possible to help you make a good decision. One that you and your wife will be happy with. Lots of luck and welcome to the spyder world.

Spyder Garage

I too come from two-wheel world, my knees can't handle the 700lbs full dressed cruiser any more. Sadly to say, I did not take my wife out on that Vstar1300 last year at all. I rode it in April alone and decided it's too heavy for me. I had the bike for 4 years and really liked it. I still have a Honda CB1100 though but I always ride alone. I just want to have something that I take my wife with me either cruise around town or scenery trips. I bought a 2013 RT-L and so far put about 500 miles on it just so I can get used to it. So far I like it but haven't taken my wife out on it yet. It is a learning process, but I get better and better with it.
    Good luck to you Papaloco, I think you'll find something you like out there.
    Cheers
    ‘21 Honda Rebel 1100 DTC Burgundy
    ‘13 Spyder RT-L Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Papaloco View Post
    My advice would be to get the Spyder RT Limited but leave it bone stock until after you’ve ridden it a few hundred miles and then add goodies as you go along. You may like the Comfort seat or additional lights but check sources and prices out a bit first. One thing you should invest in is a travel cover for the Spyder and the trailer. We found both of those items to be very useful.

The comfort heated seats are the same as the BRP accessories but check the For Sale thread on this site before paying the heavy dealer markup.

Enjoy your Spyder rides. My Old Aspencade was one of my favorites.

Pennyrick
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

I have yet to see a 2020 RT in the flesh but agree with Pennyrick about loading the farkle gun with enough $$$ to fire long bursts. Wait until you have enough miles on it and your carcass before you even begin building an accessory list. FWIW, I ride year round, sometimes leaving the house when it's in the mid-twenties, and see absolutely no use in wasting money on a heated seat. When my butt is too cool to warm a seat I'll be dead. I ride almost exclusively solo. Good hunting!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Papaloco View Post
    That was my reason also! Traded in my GW for a spyder and really enjoy it.
    I would get arm rest for the passenger.
    Good luck in your adventure and the members here are great and very helpful!!!!IMG_20190623_144504.jpg
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

I'm a fan of adding extra lighting for safety (I prefer to simply make the reflectors LEDs).

The rest of it does become a matter of preference, and experience will show you what you really need (and plenty of people here know solutions if there is an aspect you aren't happy with).

My personal favorite addition was the BRP short windshield and an X-Creen to control (and add) wind on hot days, while still being able to limit it on colder days (you may only use this during the hotter months, but it takes less than ten minutes to change the windshield out).
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

Oh, and since you are living in SoCal, do check out my signature for the best Spyder mechanic that I know of -- Lou at Pirate Powersports in Riverside.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

Have riding HD since 1965 and find things work slower then before. Time changes things so my wife and I bought a black 2016 Spyder Series Special. I’m over six foot tall and liked the power and whole idea but was not comfortable. Wife loved it so we took a look at 2020 RT, sat on it and we were sold. Took delivery two weeks ago and have ridden over 1000 miles as of now. We bought RT base, we’re Floridians and heated seats not needed. Added top case, backrest, signature lights and attitude bars
    We average over 15,000 miles a year and see that still happening. We love this RT, fits me much better then 2016.
    I tried hard to not like a Spyder but now I am a true convert.
    2020 RT , Custom Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

I would suggest starting with a cover or covers. I have both the half cover and the full size and use them both depending on the conditions. The covers protect the finish and seat and they also prevent prying eyes if you're traveling and it's parked overnight somewhere. The BRP backrest was added when I bought the RT and would recommend it also. Enjoy the ride, I think you're gonna like it!

LORD GRANT ME THE SENILITY TO FORGET THE PEOPLE I NEVER LIKED,
    THE GOOD FORTUNE TO RUN INTO THE ONES I DO LIKE,
    AND THE EYE SIGHT TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE.

2016 Spyder RTS

Spyder Garage

+1 on the Ride it first and build your list of upgrade needs, As I'm in my 60's and am more safety concerned now than ever before, I got the lighting upgrades (LED head and fog lights, Led's in all the stock reflectors), additional Tail/Turn/Stop Led up on the topcase, additional LED turn signals in the mirrors louder horn, Wide-Vue convex mirrors first. Then started working on the other comfort farkles. My wife would tell you the BEST farkle I ever added was the BRP armrests on our '13 RTL. She feels safe enough to nod off on some warm afternoons riding along the Mississippi. I have since added better tires, brakes, swaybar, and am upgrading my shocks soon. But get out there and ride safe and enjoy your new ryde.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Default Hot Seat!

Totally agree with JayBros. I absolutely thought I would NEED a heated seat when I bought my bike but they told me to wait and see if I really needed it. In my mind it still sounds good to have a heated seat but I find the heated grips warm me up just fine!! I was looking at the part list on dealer seat and interpret that it could shift rider position from my original seat I love on my 2018 RT Limited. Stock fits me perfect and I have my doubts if I would ever use a backrest. Get a couple thousand miles on your Spyder and decide what else you need is my recommendation.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trong View Post
    I too come from two-wheel world, my knees can't handle the 700lbs full dressed cruiser any more. Sadly to say, I did not take my wife out on that Vstar1300 last year at all. I rode it in April alone and decided it's too heavy for me. I had the bike for 4 years and really liked it. I still have a Honda CB1100 though but I always ride alone. I just want to have something that I take my wife with me either cruise around town or scenery trips. I bought a 2013 RT-L and so far put about 500 miles on it just so I can get used to it. So far I like it but haven't taken my wife out on it yet. It is a learning process, but I get better and better with it.
    Good luck to you Papaloco, I think you'll find something you like out there.
    Cheers
    I feel your pain brother. I just picked up a '16 Spyder RT Limited I do love the beast (I call her Sonja). I traded a '13 Kawasaki Voyager for her. That big boy weighed 925 pounds it for me was getting it off the kickstand was getting tough. There is a large learning curve going from 2 wheels to three. Just got her last Saturday there is still a lot I don't know about but thank goodness for the owners manual.
    2016 RT Limited , stock White

Spyder Garage

Yea a bunch of us in the same Boat! My GF has a 38' Stink-Pot (e/2 Cat engines) she started looking at HD Triglides since she's SELLING the StinkPot. As a 40 year Harley Owner, I see a HD Trike as a WheelChair and I'm not there yet. I have a 2018 SG with the M8 engine. This SOB is HOT in the Summer so I also add this to the WheelChair thought and it's like Screw That. My Rule (and possibly why at 64 I'm Not Married) never tell a Woman Everything. Well the GF got my mind rolling since my knees hurt for a week after wrestling a 1,000 pounds of Bike and GF... I started looking at TRIKES. I found a Ryker and thought "Man, I Like That but... it will Not Work". Then I started looking at F3's. Nope, No radio, No Bags, Wont Work. Moved up to the RT, nope. Then I'm at a RT-S but I don't want the TRUNK. Knowing she's going to want a backrest I found a 2016 RT-S with low miles and made a deal on it. THEN, I told Her What I'd Done. She was "Noooooo, You Didn't"! I said "YESSSSS, I DID and Well Go Get It On Saturday"! (2 months ago) My RT-S is a SE-6. We've put 600 miles on it and she's driven it for at least 150 miles (yea, with me on the Back)! She likes the Spyder. I got a Bluetooth module from Amazon ($20) and when she's on the back she can control the Radio. I've built 3, 427 Cobra Replicas and the last one I put in Heated Seats (and a Heater). The heated seats in the Cobra are NICE in the Winter. I wonder why CanAm did the grips but No seat heaters. I was thinking about adding the seat heater myself. The OP mentions new Handlebars. Well, even with the stock bars my hands no longer go numb or go to sleep. Good Luck on your Search!

Spyder Garage

Good advice in the thread
    I can relate to the topic raised by several allready, to not go overboard with additional farkles before you used the bike for a while. I for example bought the OEM LINQ 16 litre top case for my Ryker, just to realize it is quite too small for my preference. But since you have previous bike experience, you probably have a much better idea of what you want and need