Spyder Garage

Default Frunk temperature

Hello
    I Think we are all aware that the temperature in the frunk is elevated from ambient temperature. And there are even some after market insulation kits to install to keep the frunk area nice and cool.
    So far I havent cared much about it, since I just keep Insurance papers and some basic Tools there. But I just bought a "emergency tire repair" kit, one of those pressurized cans with gunk, that will make a temporary fix and inflate the tire. Just so you can drive on to the closest tire shop and get yelled at cause it is a pain in the butt to Clean the inside of the rim!
    Long rant, but dont worry, I am getting Close to my Point! The can has a maximum allowed temperature, and I thought I'd check if anyone actually has measured how hot the frunk gets. For example after a long ride at around 90F. (it would for sure suck big time to have the can explode in the frunk)
    Anyone knows? Or will I have to do some serious science for the sake of the spyderlovers Community? We expect a lot of ~90F Days here in Sweden during the coming week =)

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Not measured it, but you may want to consider a Dynaplug hole repair unit for $21.99 direct from Dynaplug.
    Least expensive and most light weight is model DCU-1458.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...t-storage-quot

I managed a tire store decades ago, and finding Slime or = when dismounting a tire was not a customer endearing experience.
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Spyder Garage

+1 for Dynaplug. Nope, you do not want to keep your Hershey Bars in the frunk.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Greven View Post
    Hello
    I Think we are all aware that the temperature in the frunk is elevated from ambient temperature. And there are even some after market insulation kits to install to keep the frunk area nice and cool.
    So far I havent cared much about it, since I just keep Insurance papers and some basic Tools there. But I just bought a "emergency tire repair" kit, one of those pressurized cans with gunk, that will make a temporary fix and inflate the tire. Just so you can drive on to the closest tire shop and get yelled at cause it is a pain in the butt to Clean the inside of the rim!
    Long rant, but dont worry, I am getting Close to my Point! The can has a maximum allowed temperature, and I thought I'd check if anyone actually has measured how hot the frunk gets. For example after a long ride at around 90F. (it would for sure suck big time to have the can explode in the frunk)
    Anyone knows? Or will I have to do some serious science for the sake of the spyderlovers Community? We expect a lot of ~90F Days here in Sweden during the coming week =)
    There are many many peel n stick heat insulations on the market .... look here - summitracing.com ..... lots os choices and prices .... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

If it matters, I have kept aerosol cans of Plexus plastic cleaner for the windscreen in our frunk on the 14 RTS and never had one explode. Home for me is South Florida and it gets pretty hot here in the summer. Our Spyder is pearl white, so no doubt that helps stay cooler than a dark color.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all your input! Much appreciated!
    I will measure the temperature, cause I am curious. And based on that I might look into the mentioned insulation, might want to insulate even if I dont carry any aerosol in the frunk. I looked up the suggested Dynaplug, that really seems like a very good option.

Spyder Garage

Insulation will help, but over long distances, it may become heat saturated and the glove box still get very hot.

Two quarts of oil (not spare, but for auto parts run) will fit into the glovebox, if almost empty. Insulation will reduce capacity.

I am always hauling something, but usually in the valley. Today it was an Amprobe and 6 boxes of .22 magnum, with 2 quarts oil strapped onto rear fender.

Tomorrow will be a wiggie, etc. (how many electricians recognize that term?!)

I do insulate my water bottle. Wrenches may be warm (quite warm) at first, but not hurt by glovebox heat.
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110

Spyder Garage

How about painting the Frunk lid a nice shiny gloss white. (would that help?) and add this>
    https://www.slingmods.com/canam-ryke...earch=glovebox
    Also someone needs to design a lid with vents for air flow that seals tight when rain is moving in. Sorta like this but more rain proof.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

I did promise to come back with some measured temperatures, maybe someone else finds the information usefull to know what they can store in the frunk

So today it was a sweatty 28C / 83F outside.
    I put a thermometer at the bottom of the frunk, zeroed out the stored max value, and put my insurance papers etc on top of it (basicly acting as an insulator).
    Then I went for a 1,5 hour trip with some mixed speeds, 30->60 mph. Once home I parked in the garage at idle for 10 minutes (was time to check oil level), before shutting off.
    I then let the bike cool off for an hour, since there could be a peak temperature due to residual heat after shut down.
    And yes, before anyone points it out, I know this isnt a very scientific method, but it is enough to give a rough estimate at least!
    The maximum temperature was 48,6C or 118F, quite toasty! I'm not sure I'd let me phone charge in the frunk to be honest. (good thing I routed a USB cable to the x-grip phone mount instead)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

If your experience of a 40 F rise is proportionate, then when it is 118 F in Southern Nevada...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SportsterDoc View Post
    If your experience of a 40 F rise is proportionate, then when it is 118 F in Southern Nevada...
    Thats why my test really is only usefull for the temperature range and conditions I tested at. Based on my experience in temperature measurements of automotive components, when incresing ambient temperature some components follow ambient in a linear way, some increase a lot more, and some may stay at the same temperature and not depend much on vechicle ambient. And just finding the relevant worst case scenario for testing can also be tricky stuff, and to make it even more complicated - worst case scenario usually vary for each component...
    I imagine, if measuring in southern Nevada, the frunk could reach quite extreme temperatures just with the bike parked due to the strong sun.

Spyder Garage

I don't think I would put my bag of goldfish in the frunk for the ride home from the pet shop.
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tslepebull View Post
    I don't think I would put my bag of goldfish in the frunk for the ride home from the pet shop.
    Haha!

During early and late season riding, I will start storing a spare pair of gloves in the frunk though, a poor man's alternative to electrically heated gloves/handles.

Spyder Garage

Greven…

My 2017 F3-T has plenty of room to insulate 1" thick on the outside of the tub without impeding air flow. The problem is that the insulation can not be connected to the tub as there is no room to insert/remove tub with added insulation. I have been looking at designing an insulated basket for the tub that also acts to better control and direct air flow around the tub. I am looking at wanting to make the frunk a cooler for day trips. Also adding a Peltier cooling system to it.

Regards,

Don
    2017 F3T , Triple Black