Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default 2018 RTL under seat schrader valve?

I was swapping out seats last night and noticed I have a capped schrader valve under the seat (towards the rear of the bike). I can only assume it's for the suspension however I have a 2018 RT Limited w/automatically adjusting rear suspension.

I didn't see any mention of this in the owners manual (although I may have missed it). Why would I put air in a suspension that automatically adjusts? I mean, if the bag blows, manually adding/removing air won't do any good. Seems kind of silly to add the extra hardware "just in case" the compressor goes out. The only other thing I could imagine (and I'd think this would be a stretch) is that this would be a way to inflate a tire if it were low.

Anybody know what the answer is?

HAGO!

Spyder Garage

My guess would be that it is easier to leave it there then to remove it during production. But who knows. I did use mine for a time when I was waiting to get my compressor replaced (my fault). It would be nice if you could use it on a tire. Don't think that is possible in it's current configuration.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

My guess is two fold. One, if the suspension has to be removed for repair or service you can drain the air from the system easily. Secondly, if you have a pump that fails while you're on the road, you can inflate the air bag manually.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

The Schrader valve is used during the headlight adjustment procedure. (Operators guide, pg. 128)

Spyder Garage

I have a friend who had his mechanic disable the automatic function. He always rides two-up and just kept a consistent pressure where he liked it using the schrader valve. After a couple years, he went back using the automatic function..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    I was swapping out seats last night and noticed I have a capped schrader valve under the seat (towards the rear of the bike). I can only assume it's for the suspension however I have a 2018 RT Limited w/automatically adjusting rear suspension.

I didn't see any mention of this in the owners manual (although I may have missed it). Why would I put air in a suspension that automatically adjusts? I mean, if the bag blows, manually adding/removing air won't do any good. Seems kind of silly to add the extra hardware "just in case" the compressor goes out. The only other thing I could imagine (and I'd think this would be a stretch) is that this would be a way to inflate a tire if it were low.

Anybody know what the answer is?

HAGO!
    Now having experienced 2 compressor failures on our 2014 RTL (and paying many $100's for one of the failures because insurance wouldn't cover it based on lack of support from BRP on how much work was actually required to do it), and after #2 then deciding it ain't worth fixing again, I did as some others have done and disconnected the compressor solenoid and fill using the Schrader valve if and when I need to. As someone else mentioned here too, we also always ride 2 up and always having a consistent fill in the bag is worth filling it yourself once in a while. fyi, I keep ours at 70-75 PSI.
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.