Spyder Garage

Default Newbie here, love my Spyder but died this morning, any ideas... THANK YOU

Bought a 2009 Spyder a little over a month ago, did the general stuff to it when i bought it, had the tires changed, oil change, had the seal on the water pump fixed..

Never had one issue since i have took it out various days and weekends..

Today, took the wife out for a cruise this morning, started right up, we were maybe a few miles into our journey and noticed a red flash on the cluster, didnt think much about it, then at the stop light, it completely died, no power to the cluster, no power at all.. We had to push it out of traffic and my friend came to assist us with his trailer.

I thought it was the battery (hence the red icon flash was indeed the battery icon), i used my tool kit to remove the panel to access the battery, he tried jumping it but it came on for a second and then nothing.. We pulled the battery and he took it to 2 different auto places and they said battery tested good.. They didnt have another battery in stock, so we loaded it on the trailer and got it home

I charged the battery for a few hours, installed it and now it works like it should, full power and starts ..

My question (sorry for long right up), should I be concerned now?-- I ordered a new battery anyway just to be on the save side, battery inside was 2018, so was not super old.. I took out the relays and fuses that correspond to the problem and seated them back in..

Any ideas?-- I am glad we didn't get stranded further out than we did, just would like reassurance that I have the problem fixed

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, I have been riding for 12 years and finally got back into it and this is only the 2nd time ever on multiple bikes i have been stranded.

Spyder Garage

Double check the battery terminals, and add a star washer. A simple loose connection causes that.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

1. Loose terminals is a good possibility. If terminals loose and jumpers attached to battery posts, there may have been serious voltage drop to the system.
    2. A charging system issue is another, but dying so soon is not as likely. Nonetheless, what is battery voltage with engine running. 13.8-14.8?
    3. After charging, what is battery voltage after sitting overnight? AGM battery should be 12.8.

I did a check on my new Ryker. After only a couple weeks, I found less than snug connections to
    + post
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Spyder Garage

the connections were snug, they were not loose at all..

Spyder Garage

I will do this tonight and post the info tomorrow, thank you for the reply~

The connections were not loose, very snug, glad to hear it wont be the charging system, but yes just died and no lights, no cluster, nothing..

Spyder Garage

More common than you would think. Amazing what a 1/4 turn of a wrench will do!! We found a guy, dead bike, in Alaska. Middle of nowhere(actually miles from nowhere!) and same problem. Tightened his connections, gave him a jump, and on his way!! His wife was so happy! Make sure that those are tight!!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Not starting

#1. Spyders draw a lot of juice when starting so although the battery may test OK, it may not have enough juice to start it .... Spyders seem to have a higher than normal " parasitic draw " ..... ie. they use juice not even running or on ..... I always have my RT on a batttery " maintainer " when not in use ..... and the pre 1330 engine / alternator set-up used a Magneto to re-charge .... problem with that was, it only re-charged above 4000 + RPM's .... below that it wqas drawing jiuce from the battery ..... good luck .... and I agree STAR washers work ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Two things:
    1. Recommend you buy an on-line service manual (if you prefer doing your own maintenance).
    2. Find all of the ground points. There are more than one. Remove the cables and clean the connectors and the frame surface and use a good conductive grease etc. to help prevent future corrosion.

Good luck and hope you can get your bike setup so it runs reliable.

Mike
    2019 F3 Unlimited , Oxford Blue Dark Edition

Spyder Garage

All good advice above.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    More common than you would think. Amazing what a 1/4 turn of a wrench will do!! We found a guy, dead bike, in Alaska. Middle of nowhere(actually miles from nowhere!) and same problem. Tightened his connections, gave him a jump, and on his way!! His wife was so happy! Make sure that those are tight!!

I think the battery is not good.. charged it last night and bike started up everytime... Went to look at it the morning, and it turned on, cluster came on, but when i pushed the starter, it went blank again, no power..

Battery has already been ordered, I will install it and see in the next day or two if the same symptoms happen or if it starts..

Thanks for everyone's help

Spyder Garage

Best farkel you can buy for your Spyder and most cost effective. Star washers, easy to install and last the life of the vehicle. Always look good, and little to no upkeep.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Star washers? Are they lock washers. Never heard of star washers
    30 years Over the road truck driver. Now the better half wants to do all the provinces on the Spyder. Maybe when it grows up to a Newer one.
    Copied from a post in Mean People.
    When told "that ain't a motorcycle," I reply, "You're right - it's actually a snowmobile and I ordered the optional tires so I can ride it year round." Shuts 'em up every time!

2012 RSS-SE5
    Avon HD Grips.
    K&N oil transmission and Air filters
    Ultimate Seat With both backrests .Black with Ostrich Red Stripe
    2012 RS S SE5 , Grey and Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by laser1972 View Post
    Went to look at it the morning, and it turned on, cluster came on, but when i pushed the starter, it went blank again, no power.
    Sure sign of a bad battery. If the voltage drops below 10.5 when you hit the starter the cluster will blank out. The days of starting a bike with a weak battery that barely cranks the engine doesn't apply to Spyders.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    Star washers? Are they lock washers. Never heard of star washers
    The sharp edges of the prongs bite through corrosion and bite into the nut and base of the connector to help prevent the nut from turning loose.

6809040-23.jpg
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 06-15-2020 at 08:03 PM. Reason: add second half of sentence

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

I think the battery is not good.. charged it last night and bike started up everytime... Went to look at it the morning, and it turned on, cluster came on, but when i pushed the starter, it went blank again, no power..

Battery has already been ordered, I will install it and see in the next day or two if the same symptoms happen or if it starts..

Thanks for everyone's help
    Agree. Change battery and make sure connections are tight!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    The sharp edges of the prongs bite through corrosion and bite into the nut and base of the connector to help prevent the nut from turning loose.

6809040-23.jpg
    ..... but I prefer the ones that have the teeth on the inside edge ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ..... but I prefer the ones that have the teeth on the inside edge ..... Mike
    I didn't realize so many variations of star washers existed until I did the Google search to find a photo! This is the one I'm most familiar with.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

I didn't realize so many variations of star washers existed until I did the Google search to find a photo! This is the one I'm most familiar with.
    I have encountered NUTS that were quite small ..... they would barely contact the teeth ... and sometimes the STAR washer you have at hand may be a little to large .... so the washers with the inside teeth will still work ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I have encountered NUTS that were quite small ..... they would barely contact the teeth ... and sometimes the STAR washer you have at hand may be a little to large .... so the washers with the inside teeth will still work ..... Mike
    Makes good sense! I'll have to be on the watch for the kind you like!

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Default battery issue

Quote Originally Posted by bmccaffrey View Post
    Agree. Change battery and make sure connections are tight!!

Now I am perplexed , i got the new battery, did the install, powered on just fine, then hit start and nothing (blank cluster) etc

I have the battery on charge now.... Any ideas out there?

Spyder Garage

Now I am perplexed , i got the new battery, did the install, powered on just fine, then hit start and nothing (blank cluster) etc

I have the battery on charge now.... Any ideas out there?
    Maybe the battery wasn't charged when you got it. Where did you get it? Was it one with acid in a separate bottle? If so you need to prep it for a day or two.

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

When start button is pressed, what is voltage to load side of starter solenoid?
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Spyder Garage

Maybe the battery wasn't charged when you got it. Where did you get it? Was it one with acid in a separate bottle? If so you need to prep it for a day or two.

No it was ine that was charged ready to use, i charged it, put it back in, cluster came on, hit the start and clicked and does nothing , no power, no start..

Thinking now maybe and solenoid of kill switch is bad?

Spyder Garage

No it was ine that was charged ready to use, i charged it, put it back in, cluster came on, hit the start and clicked and does nothing , no power, no start..

Thinking now maybe and solenoid of kill switch is bad?
    Does the cluster stay lit or not? If you hear a click it's not the kill switch. In kill position nothing happens when you hit the start button.

2014 Copper RTS