Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Sorta Newb Question?

I don't own a Spyder … yet. I am a long-time two-wheeler having ridden/toured for years. Ten years or so ago I decided that when I was uncomfortable on two wheels I would move to a three-wheeler, and the Spyder is my choice when that happens. I am now75, have gotten all the long-distance touring out of my system (about 200+K miles and all 48) and am presently on the cusp of buying my first Spyder … or Ryker. Can Am did not have the Ryker when I looked and test-rode before ten years ago.

So here is my first question for this group: What is the practical difference between a Spyder and a Ryker? I've read the specs and know about the smaller engine and generally smaller everything. Over the years I have gradually moved to smaller and smaller two-wheelers just because I find them more fun to ride, so I wonder if the Ryker might be my choice now. My wife will never ride with me (never has on the two-wheeler) but she loves me enough to let me go whenever/wherever I want (God bless her!).

Thx in advance for your opinions/advice.

rambler
    On the coast of Kansas

Spyder Garage

Ryker may be the way to go for you. It is more of a bare bones type of Spyder. Cost is about 1/2 the F3 and RT versions. Amenities are much less. Most say the Ryker is more "fun."

Our suggestion, try both. You will quickly learn which one is the best for you. Good luck on your hunt. And...

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rambler View Post
    I don't own a Spyder … yet. I am a long-time two-wheeler having ridden/toured for years. Ten years or so ago I decided that when I was uncomfortable on two wheels I would move to a three-wheeler, and the Spyder is my choice when that happens. I am now75, have gotten all the long-distance touring out of my system (about 200+K miles and all 48) and am presently on the cusp of buying my first Spyder … or Ryker. Can Am did not have the Ryker when I looked and test-rode before ten years ago.

So here is my first question for this group: What is the practical difference between a Spyder and a Ryker? I've read the specs and know about the smaller engine and generally smaller everything. Over the years I have gradually moved to smaller and smaller two-wheelers just because I find them more fun to ride, so I wonder if the Ryker might be my choice now. My wife will never ride with me (never has on the two-wheeler) but she loves me enough to let me go whenever/wherever I want (God bless her!).

Thx in advance for your opinions/advice.

rambler
    On the coast of Kansas
    For any 1330 engine Spyder vs. any Ryker .... Well it's NOT ..gas mileage ... luggage capacity ... maintenance ... or power .... all the comfort things are rider / passenger specific and will vary depending on who you ask ...... and the Spyder /Ryder has a bit of a Driver learning curve, especially if you lots of TWO experience ( lots of things to UN-LEARN ) ....best advice I got from the Dealer was .... drive just like a Car .... worked like a charm ..... good luck ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Rambler, the last sentence of your second paragraph, IMO, says it all. Our wives share the same kind of love for us -- aren't we so fortunate! For that reason, and for me it is why I do not see myself ever giving up an RT model Spyder. I tour pretty light and am going to continue to do so and the RT has a lot of capacity so it works equally well on a cross-country tour or hauling a sizable load of groceries home from the market when the bride says, "go fetch." I've nothing against the Ryker except its looks but going ugly early was for the wild old college drinking days.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Rambler, the last sentence of your second paragraph, IMO, says it all. Our wives share the same kind of love for us -- aren't we so fortunate! For that reason, and for me it is why I do not see myself ever giving up an RT model Spyder. I tour pretty light and am going to continue to do so and the RT has a lot of capacity so it works equally well on a cross-country tour or hauling a sizable load of groceries home from the market when the bride says, "go fetch." I've nothing against the Ryker except its looks but going ugly early was for the wild old college drinking days.
    X2 carry more stuff if need be. Better ride, push a button windshield up if I want push button windshield down wind in my face if I want. Small stuff like that I like about the RTL and the SE models wow I'm hooked. All stuff you cant get on a Ryker, but Rykers do have their place I'm not knocking them, some days they might be fun.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The Spyder is the Road King or Goldwing, whereas the Ryker is the Sportster or naked standard M/C of yesteryear.

Ryker is easier maintenance, has about same acceleration (less cc, but less weight), but stock, is limited for touring.

I have not ridden a Spyder to compare, but the Ryker does cruise at higher RPMs than I am accustomed.

Coming off a series of M/C over 55 years, it only took about a week to feel comfortable actually turning handlebars.
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Spyder Garage

Thx for all the replies. Keep 'em coming. More direct feedback from owners/riders is always worth more than reading websites.

I do intend to ride over to Reno's in KC this week or next and get a test ride on a Ryker and a current model Spyder. When I test-rode them ten years ago the 900cc engine was all they had. I loved the machine from the very first moment I rode it and experienced no issues of awkwardness--except I kept putting my feet down at every stop.

Again, thx for all the replies so far.

rambler

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Over 1,000 miles in past 5 weeks and still find myself with feet on pavement at signals!

I never liked forward controls on a M/C...too hard to stand on pegs over speed bumps, less feeling of control cornering...fine just cruising on eldest son-in-laws Road King, but not otherwise for me.

However, with pegs full forward and bars full back, I am VERY comfortable with Ryker on long rides.
    Stock solo seat is working well for me (180 # and skinny on the bottom)

Whereas my CB1100, although smooth, had pegs a bit rearset and required stretching every 50-100 miles. Still fine for 500 mile days.

Whatever you chose, enjoy!
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

One big difference is what roads the two are built to handle. The Spyder is pretty much a paved highway machine, although some have not let that limit them. Look up Martin in Slovakia. The Ryker was designed to handle unpaved roads in stride. So if you are done with long distance touring and want to explore local roads, particularly back country and mountain, then seriously consider the Ryker.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

The Ryker is more of a "bare bones" experience like a sport bike. Although it was a lot more fun, I went with the RT because I like the toys and storage. You have an advantage since the wife doesn't ride, so a comfortable back seat and storage might not matter to you. The only way you will know what is right for you is to test drive both and see for yourself. You can also check out YouTube for a lot of test rides that people post - they might bring up a few things you haven't thought about! Happy hunting

Spyder Garage

You need to try both. I had to go with an RT because that's what the wife is comfortable on. If it was just me, it would probably be an F3.

Touring/carrying capacity on the Ryker IS limited, but you can get a full hard bag set up if you want it. Same goes for the bard model F3 or ST Spyders.

That's something else to consider - if you're not buying new, the ST model Spyders are nice, especially with the 1330 engine.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

I do not believe the ST versions came with the 1330 engines. They have the 990/998's.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

You know, I wondered about that when someone told me, but I was never inclined to research it.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

I bought a new Spyder in Feb. For me the deciding factor was the gas tank size. In southwest USA, the fuel stations can be 40-50 miles apart and my previous machines would get at least 200 miles between fill-ups. So from experience I prefer a larger tank. A quick estimate in round numbers, at 30 mpg the Ryker gets 150 miles per tank, the Spyder gets 210 miles per tank. That means that with the Ryker I have to know where my next fuel station is at 100 miles or risk getting stranded, with the Spyder I can go to 150 miles before fill-up.
    2015 Spyder F3-S SE6 (pre-owned, new for me Feb'20. 1st Spyder, decades on 2 wheeler's.)

Spyder Garage

Thanks guys/gals. All this is great info. You have suggested a couple of things I had not thought about: off-road v. paved roads and gas tank size.

I don't believe either issue is a show-stopper for me, but I will think about them. I have never ridden off-road on my m/c but there are lots of interesting dirt roads around. And gas tank size is a definite issue where I mostly ride. Over the years I have ridden in lots of places where you had to fill your tank every time you see a station cuz you don't know where the next one might be.

And SportsterDoc, I get your analogy about Road King v. Sportster. The Sportster has always been my choice of Harleys so the Ryker just might be the one for me. I have owned some big bikes (ST1100 and Nomad) but prefer smaller (FZ-1 and F800ST).

Again, thx to all of you for your thoughts and suggestions. Each of them has helped inform my upcoming decision.
    rambler
    On the coast of Kansas

Spyder Garage

Thanks guys/gals. All this is great info. You have suggested a couple of things I had not thought about: off-road v. paved roads and gas tank size.
    Don't confuse off-road with off-highway. The Ryker is made to run dirt and gravel roads but it is not an off-road vehicle. Just want to make sure you're clear on this!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Don't confuse off-road with off-highway. The Ryker is made to run dirt and gravel roads but it is not an off-road vehicle. Just want to make sure you're clear on this!

~~~ ^this

I bought a 2020 Ryker Rally in mid March of this year. It is most definitely *not* an off road machine as it has 4" of clearance between road/machine

That said it's a ball to ride & I have no regrets purchasing mine. Go to a dealer for a test ride. Ride an RT too for comparison. There's a few owners here that have accessorized their Ryker for extra carrying capacity but if you want to do overnighters and bring your 21 cup Mr. Coffee along with you, I'd say look at Spyders but if you think you're more inclined to just hop on it and ride for a few hours to get your yah-yahs out, look no further than the Ryker

Others may have better and different ideas

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Thx again. I've never been interested in "real" off-roading, but the occasional dirt/gravel road is sometimes fun. Sounds more and more like the Ryker is going to be the machine for me.

BTW, is the term "motorcycle" used for Spyders/Rykers, or is it reserved for two-wheels only? What I have read thus far on websites, etc., suggests the term motorcycle is used for both two-wheelers and three-wheelers.
    rambler
    On the coast of Kansas

Spyder Garage

BTW, is the term "motorcycle" used for Spyders/Rykers, or is it reserved for two-wheels only? What I have read thus far on websites, etc., suggests the term motorcycle is used for both two-wheelers and three-wheelers.
    Officially, per Federal regs they are motorcycles. States have differing definitions with the term 'autocycle' being adopted for three wheelers with a car like seat and a steering wheel, think Slingshot, and motorcycle including 3 wheelers with handlebars and seating astride the bike like Spyder. Motorcycle purists of the H-D ilk and the like insist Spyders are not motorcycles, but they also don't offer a good alternative label! BRP officially labels the Spyder as a 'Roadster'. Motorcycle is the most commonly used reference here on Spyderlovers. Use whatever term you're comfortable with, other than autocycle. That one is pretty specific.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Officially, per Federal regs they are motorcycles. States have differing definitions with the term 'autocycle' being adopted for three wheelers with a car like seat and a steering wheel, think Slingshot, and motorcycle including 3 wheelers with handlebars and seating astride the bike like Spyder. Motorcycle purists of the H-D ilk and the like insist Spyders are not motorcycles, but they also don't offer a good alternative label! BRP officially labels the Spyder as a 'Roadster'. Motorcycle is the most commonly used reference here on Spyderlovers. Use whatever term you're comfortable with, other than autocycle. That one is pretty specific.
    Thx. Using the same term, motorcycle, for both 2-wheelers and 3-wheelers feels to me a tad confusing. I will likely, in my own posts, try to differentiate between the two machines. Don't want to confuse myself.
    rambler
    On the coast of Kansas

Spyder Garage

I call all my motorcycles, bikes. This includes my two wheeler and both spyders. I have called them "bikes" since the 60's and most likely not going to change now.

If I were "politically correct," the Spyders would be called "roadsters." I guess I am not.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    … If I were "politically correct," the Spyders would be called "roadsters." I guess I am not.
    I don't care much about being politically correct either, but I do like the term "roadster." I think I will use that going forward, unless someone comes up with something better. Thx.
    rambler
    On the coast of Kansas

Spyder Garage

I don't care much about being politically correct either, but I do like the term "roadster." I think I will use that going forward, unless someone comes up with something better. Thx.
    Perfectly OK if you don't mind sharing the definition with four wheel open two seat sporty cars!

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

The Ryker IMO is a cool looking trike. I'm an F3T owner and found the Ryker to sit way too low. On the RT's and F3's the rider is usually sitting higher than most cars. The Ryker does have shaft drive which I wish the Spyders had.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lloydw1 View Post
    The Ryker IMO is a cool looking trike. I'm an F3T owner and found the Ryker to sit way too low. On the RT's and F3's the rider is usually sitting higher than most cars. The Ryker does have shaft drive which I wish the Spyders had.
    Thx. That is one thing I wondered about and had not asked yet: drive belt v. driveshaft. So Ryker has one and Spyder does not. Good to know. Now, next issue: why does Ryker sit lower than Spyder? Does having a driveshaft have anything to do with it?
    rambler
    On the coast of Kansas