Spyder Garage

Default Brake pedal/Floorboard issue?

I am taking Fred to the shop Monday to get the brakes checked out. I want to make sure the brakes are ok before I add boards.
    I want to get the 18" floorboards from canamspyderaccessories.com. For those that don't know, with these boards, comes a spacer for the brake to "raise" the brake pedal to make sure it has room when the board is installed. Now, I don't get how this can happen because it seems to me, the movement of the brake pedal is not changed, but the service guy told me that after about a year, the brake will act as if it is having problems...possibly throwing error codes or something? Has anybody experienced this w/ these boards?
    Fred is a 2010 RT SM5 - Sold.

I am not a mechanic. When I have a tool in my hand, 911 needs to be on Standby.

Spyder Garage

The boards do not come with the spacer, the full size brake pedal comes with spacer. What the spacer does is move the pedal itself away from (Towards ryder) the pedal shaft that pedal is bolted to. I am running the ultimate footboards at position 5 and love them. I have not added the extended size brake pedal, yet, but I have no issues with my brake functionality and Pierre's footboards. With the spacer added to brake pedal, pedal/linkage travel will be the same but the pedal at its lowest point will be higher than without spacer. Hope this made it clear as mud for you! LOL

Spyder Garage

I am running the Ultimate Floorboards in Position 4 and have the full size pedal on my 2019 F3L and have had no issue. I spoke to Pierre about the possibility of the pedal hitting and he assured me it would not. Email him or call him to discuss your concern and he will be there to answer and address any concerns and issues. He is really a good guy.
    2022 RT Limited , Silver w/ Black and Purple accents

Spyder Garage

And my apologies! I just realized you have an RT, so everything I said is probably not applicable, as I have an F3-S.

Spyder Garage

I have the 18" floorboards from Pierre (canamspyderacc) I love them!! But I tried the large brake pedal with them..didn't feel comfortable and got in the way so I use standard pedal...

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by iridenow View Post
    I am taking Fred to the shop Monday to get the brakes checked out. I want to make sure the brakes are ok before I add boards.
    I want to get the 18" floorboards from canamspyderaccessories.com. For those that don't know, with these boards, comes a spacer for the brake to "raise" the brake pedal to make sure it has room when the board is installed. Now, I don't get how this can happen because it seems to me, the movement of the brake pedal is not changed, but the service guy told me that after about a year, the brake will act as if it is having problems...possibly throwing error codes or something? Has anybody experienced this w/ these boards?
    So, Fred is a 2010 RT. Your service guy is just a bit mistaken. That spacer he is adding, as you've already determined, only goes under the rubber part of the pedal that you step on in order to raise it. It doesn't change anything about the pedal linkage. Why raise it up? Because with the stock foot pegs, there's nothing under your right foot but air as you step on the pedal. With the floorboards installed, under hard braking your shoe will come down on the floorboard and could limit how far and how hard you can push. Emphasis on "could", not will. Looks like he adds another 1” in height or so, just to keep the floorboard from limiting your foot travel on the brake pedal and giving a bit more safety margin. I made my own from a piece of aluminum stock. No problem with codes for 6 years now. And his looks light enough that there will be no problem with not allowing the pedal to return to full up. Enjoy.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

A funny side to this "issue" is that I called Pierre and asked him about this. He laughed for about 2 minutes. He said he has 60k miles on his w/ these boards and not 1 "issue."
    Fred is a 2010 RT SM5 - Sold.

I am not a mechanic. When I have a tool in my hand, 911 needs to be on Standby.