Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder Hawk View Post
    There is also a 5th pin on the relay that is not connected to anything.

The one in the center.
    WOW, lots of discussion on this one, that's great.

However, all this discussion and I did not see anyone address your concern about the pins on the relay.

Four of the pins will have numbers: 30, 85, 86, 87. The center pin will also have a number, and the number will tell you what it does. Is that center pin #87 or #87a?

In a typical wiring diagram, 85 or 86 will be the trigger for the relay, the other pin will be the ground. Pin #30 will be the power in and #87 is the switched power out.

If the center pin is #87, it is simply a second switched pin that comes on at the same time as the other one. Very handy when connecting something like fog lights or driving lights, you connect one light to each terminal. If the center pin is #87a, it will be ON when the #87 pin is OFF. Power from #30 will go to one or the other, but not both.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post

However, all this discussion and I did not see anyone address your concern about the pins on the relay.

Four of the pins will have numbers: 30, 85, 86, 87. The center pin will also have a number, and the number will tell you what it does. Is that center pin #87 or #87a?

In a typical wiring diagram, 85 or 86 will be the trigger for the relay, the other pin will be the ground. Pin #30 will be the power in and #87 is the switched power out.

If the center pin is #87, it is simply a second switched pin that comes on at the same time as the other one. Very handy when connecting something like fog lights or driving lights, you connect one light to each terminal. If the center pin is #87a, it will be ON when the #87 pin is OFF. Power from #30 will go to one or the other, but not both.

Did you notice the schematic for the relay? It's printed on the relay and is in one SH's picture.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder Hawk View Post
    I found this diagram but it uses all 5 posts of the relay I think. I wonder if they wired this one wrong.
    If it was intended, or sold as, having both high and low heat then I say they wired it wrong.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I just checked something. The heated grips are the same two stage heating elements aren't they? When I check that switch it shows ground at 12v and the light illumination post at 7v. Does that mean anything or am I just charging at windmills?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post

There is a picture of the top of the relay. It has an internal diagram of the relay and the center pin is marked 87a. Point is mute since that pin is not being used anyway.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    If it was intended, or sold as, having both high and low heat then I say they wired it wrong.
    That would be easy to check. Just connect the original switch again and see if it works correctly.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    In post 30 he says there are 3 blacks, two reds, and one yellow going to the relay. There is no way I can see how you can have Lo/Hi heat without using all 5 terminals of the relay. The wiring diagram I used to try to figure this out is in this installation instruction. It's for a similar kit but without the yellow switched wire. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...5-I7AWmvxTKYgf.

I give up! I don't have any more time to work on this. As far as not staying on when the ignition is turned off I believe his kit is intended for auto use with main power coming from a switched source. He used the word illumination for the yellow wire which indicates that wire connects to the car lights so the switch will be illuminated at night. I'm sure the switch has internally wired LEDs to indicate when the heater is on.
    Your diagram looks like it should work. Just not what's happening here.

Yes there are 6 wires going to the relay plug. But the 3 black wires go to the same pin. So it's a junction for the black wires. As seen in one of the pictures. Also from that same picture it is also visible that the center pin is not used.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

It's kind of working now. I can't really tell how hot it is getting because it is so hot outside. It will be a few weeks until the new harness and switch get here so I'll take a step back from it for now. When the new harness gets here I will redo the bike and then gut the old harness so we can see what is going on. Thanks so much everyone for your knowledge and time. I'll let you know back in this thread when the harness gets here.