Spyder Garage

Question AltiMAX RT43 rear rubbing

On a 2015 RT SE when a large bump is hit. I installed the correct size about a month ago. I see no signs of rubbing on the inside fender/swing arms but and this part is fing weird, there are now rub marks on the inside of the rubber mud flap (this is located away from the largest radius of the tire). The noise i hear doesn’t sound like the mud flap contacting but something more harder than that. Air shock is working as per normal...baffled

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Geep View Post
    On a 2015 RT SE when a large bump is hit. I installed the correct size about a month ago. I see no signs of rubbing on the inside fender/swing arms but and this part is fing weird, there are now rub marks on the inside of the rubber mud flap (this is located away from the largest radius of the tire). The noise i hear doesn’t sound like the mud flap contacting but something more harder than that. Air shock is working as per normal...baffled
    I have a 2014 RTS-SE and I am also running the General Altimax RT43 tire on the rear. I do not have/or hear any rubbing noise, or any rub marks on the inside of the mud flap.

Would it be the belt guard,or the belt making the noise?

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

What size RT43 do you have ???? .... And what is the Air pressure in your rear shock ???? .... are you at or near the maximum weight load for your RT .????...... What PSI do you have in that RT 43 .... all this info is pertinent to you issue ...... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is all above suggestions have been check take a look at the rear shock.. Broken bolt / shock going bad ??

Spyder Garage

On my 2014 , I had a very similar issue. Slight rub noise, sounded almost metallic.
    Not always, at first just when hitting bumps.and it was right after replacing the rear tire with a Cooper Mastercraft LSR Grand Touring rear 215/60/15
    Then, it slowly got worse. At one point, the compressor was still working, but made a very loud noise each time it operated.
    Eventually I was hearing the rubbing noise all the time. The compressor had failed completely.
    I tried manually pressurizing the system through the schrader valve under the seat, but that didn't work.
    I didn't know that you have to first completely disable the automatic leveling system to use the manual fill. The compressor failed, there was no air supply, but the automatic air release still operated, so the pressure in the system continued to drop.
    Eventually, the bike lowered about 1 1/2 inches and I heard the rubbing noise all the time. As I said before, it sounded metallic.
    The wear was on the rear mudflap, wearing away the plastic. Eventually, the rubbing stopped, but that was when the rear mudflap had finally worn completely.
    I needed a new air compressor and, of course, a new rear panel/fender. It cost about $800 to fix.
    The initial intermittent rubbing was, essentially, the first sign of an incipient compressor failure.

I'm not saying that's your problem, but that's what happened to me and it started exactly the way you describe your symptoms.
    I'd say it was about 2500 miles from the time I heard the initial rubbing, until I had the total failure.
    Unfortunately for me, the total failure was up at SpyderQuest last year while riding two up.
    The ride home was, let's just say interesting.

There are relatively inexpensive compressor upgrades available, you may consider installing a better compressor just to be on the safe side.
    Or you may have a completely different problem.

As always, my free advice comes with a double your money back guarantee.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    What size RT43 do you have ???? .... And what is the Air pressure in your rear shock ???? .... are you at or near the maximum weight load for your RT .????...... What PSI do you have in that RT 43 .... all this info is pertinent to you issue ...... Mike
    215/60x15
    200 lbs
    Rear tire 28 lbs

Does the switch connected to drive side swing arm have any control over ride height?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Yes it does. 28 pounds is to much, drop to 18 to 24 lbs. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

215/60x15
    200 lbs
    Rear tire 28 lbs

Does the switch connected to drive side swing arm have any control over ride height?
    Thanks for the new info ..... That switch " lever " is to actuate the Air Compression for the rear Air Bag , when changing the rear tire it must be dis-connected ..... All your numbers for the tire are almost OK .... The Altimax is an Auto tire and will perform waaaaaaaay better at 18 psi .... The reason the tire is contacting the MUD flap is because it is much too close to the tire. ....it needs to be moved further out than what it is ..... good luck .... Mike ....... PS many,many folks here are using that tire ( and size ) on RT's, F-3's and the the V-twin engine Spyders , Mud Flaps can be an issue if mounted too close to the tire ........

Spyder Garage

I have a similar set up with my Altimax and mud flap. Mine has contacted the mud flap on occasion, usually when hitting a large dip in the road at speed. it doesn't sound like a rubber to rubber contact noise, but mine is just that. It has only happened three or four times and only under big bump conditions. I'm not worried about it and I'm sure not going to go through the hassle of changing it just to avoid an occasional rub. Mine is the mud flap flexing inward toward the tire when hitting a large bump.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

What if the lever is was not in the same position installed when it was removed??.....I almost got the instructions followed correctly....grrr

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Thanks for the new info ..... That switch " lever " is to actuate the Air Compression for the rear Air Bag , when changing the rear tire it must be dis-connected ..... All your numbers for the tire are almost OK .... The Altimax is an Auto tire and will perform waaaaaaaay better at 18 psi .... The reason the tire is contacting the MUD flap is because it is much too close to the tire. ....it needs to be moved further out than what it is ..... good luck .... Mike ....... PS many,many folks here are using that tire ( and size ) on RT's, F-3's and the the V-twin engine Spyders , Mud Flaps can be an issue if mounted too close to the tire ........
    The mudflap was no issue with the OEM rear tire, lots of clearance, no rubbing sounds

Spyder Garage

I had the same problem when I install the Q5 tire, It was the bolts for the mud flap. It drove me crazy til I found it. look closely at the edge of the tire. also have someone bounce on the back and look closely. I was in the same position if you search my name on the sight you will see my post where I thought it was the shock mount rubbing. I used a dremel cut the bolts as shorts as I could and the filed the smooth, no more problems.
    To be continued....

Spyder Garage

The mudflap was no issue with the OEM rear tire, lots of clearance, no rubbing sounds
    Well that leaves two choices ... adjust the mud flap or get an OEM Crapenda or Kumho in 225/50-15 ..... me - I'd adjust the mud flap ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

The OE Spec Kenda is a 'small' tire for its nominal size; the Altimax, not so much - AND you've gone up a profile in size too, so the Altimax sidewall is a tad taller than the OE spec Kendas, giving you a slightly larger rolling diameter and helping make your speedo/odometer more accurate into the bargain. Still, lots of other Spyder Ryders have done that, most without any rubbing/scraping concerns.... so what's the difference between their Spyders & yours??

Well, on top of doing those things that so many others have, things which definitely DO increase the risk of scraping, even if most of them don't actually, you've also gone & put enough air pressure into the Altimax to easily carry a 1500kg auto; while it's only carrying what, about 1/3rd less weight, saaay a max of 500kgs of Spyder, Ryders, & load!?! AND THEN you've installed that mud flap so that it reduces the space available for the wheel to move up & down in even more than just fitting a taller tire does! All of which adds up to the perfect storm, at least when it comes to compromising wheel clearance & creating space/scraping issues!

So what is it about those bits that are different between your installation and most?! Cos those are the things you might have some control over & maybe can adjust/do differently in order to help &/or minimise/reduce the scraping?!

Well, firstly, the Altimax on your Spyder is over-inflated for what it's being asked to do, making it puff up big & tight like an over-inflated balloon.... which really only:

• - increases the tire's susceptibility to puncture cos the tire & tread can't wrap over & around any stones or other hazards, instead punching those hazards into & maybe even thru the tread;
    • - increases the tire wear rate in the narrow strip down the centre of the tread, cos that thin strip in the middle is the only bit that ever touches the road in a tiny contact patch, so that little strip over-heats significantly & basically strips tread off more rapidly than it should;
    • - means it never lets the rest of the tire/tread compounds etc get to their ideal (& grippiest) operating temperatures, so they aren't working at their best for you either;
    • - slightly increases your tire's rolling diameter AND SO all up, makes it far more likely that your 'puffed up & over-inflated for the load on it' tire will hit/scrape on your mud flap that is somewhat reducing the clearance/space available!!

Dropping your Altimax's pressure to saay.... something between 18 & 20 psi, maybe 22 psi max, is not only likely to bring your tire back down into its optimal pressure for load range, but it will also:

• - reduce that increased risk of puncture, cos now the tread can absorb some of the impacts from road/surface hazards & deform safely over them instead of punching them straight thru the tire;
    • - allow the entire tread face to remain in contact with the road surface across a larger contact patch, reducing overall tread wear & improving ride, handling, suspension compliance, et al;
    • - allow the whole tire carcass/tread reach its optimal operating temperature, without over-heating abnormally in some sections & remaining dangerously cold in others, increasing the traction the tread can provide & improving ride, handling, suspension compliance et al;
    • - AND SO there's a good chance that even just the slight reduction in rolling diameter achieved by reducing your pressure from that 'puffed up & over-inflated for the load on it' level to something more suitable for the loads imposed by your Spyder versus that of a much heavier auto will at least lessen the chance of scraping on the mud flap!

Or alternatively you could take the mud flap off the INSIDE of the fender/wheel arch, where it clearly reduces the space for any tire to move freely as the suspension articulates, and put it on the OUTSIDE of the fender/wheel arch, where it won't intrude upon the space that's meant to be kept clear for the wheel.

Or maybe you could do both - Run a 'more appropriate for load' pressure, saaay 18-20 psi, AND put the mudflap on the outside of the wheel arch?!

Over to you!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-13-2020 at 11:32 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Peter, with all you said ..... My 2014 RT didn't come with any OEM mud flap and I don't think the 15's or 16's did either ...... So that Mud Flap was an added Mod either by the orig. owner or the OP .... when you start using non-oem parts you always run the risk of what you did add / change. The Altimax RT43 is one of the most popular Alternate auto tires used on Spyders. In the past I read of occasional Mud Flap fitment issues, so when I made my flap I used a piece of aluminum that was thinner than a piece of thin cardboard and attached it with pop rivets. I can slide my hand between the tire and flap up to knuckles of the palm of my hand .... That is one inch of clearance. I currently have a Pirelli P4 in 215/60-15 size ( the same mathematical size as the OP ) and use 18 psi in it, and have no clearance issues. ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

I had the same problem after install of the altimax and an aftermarket flap . Put the bolts through from the inside ,nuts on the out side ,no more rub .
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stmike 1800 View Post
    I had the same problem after install of the altimax and an aftermarket flap . Put the bolts through from the inside ,nuts on the out side ,no more rub .
    This is what I also did on our 14 when the 60 series tire was added. Got the rubbing sound and found it to be the protruding bolts that created the rubbing.
    I also agree that your tire pressure is to high. I ran 18# even two up pulling a loaded trailer resulting in a better ride, improved handling, and longer tire life.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chasinsparks View Post
    I had the same problem when I install the Q5 tire, It was the bolts for the mud flap. It drove me crazy til I found it. look closely at the edge of the tire. also have someone bounce on the back and look closely. I was in the same position if you search my name on the sight you will see my post where I thought it was the shock mount rubbing. I used a dremel cut the bolts as shorts as I could and the filed the smooth, no more problems.
    +1 I did the same to stop the occasional rubbing.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Thanks to everyone....mudflap bolts the big culprit, over inflation a close second....as per photo surprising the physical wear on the flap since that is further from the tire than the bolts.....does the flap get sucked forward at speed?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Thanks to everyone....mudflap bolts the big culprit, over inflation a close second....as per photo surprising the physical wear on the flap since that is further from the tire than the bolts.....does the flap get sucked forward at speed?
    I ran the same flap on my 14 and never had that happen!
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

..........does the flap get sucked forward at speed?
    It does!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!