Thread: John Kennedy

Spyder Garage

Default John Kennedy

I stumbled upon this recently. I found it interesting, to say the least:

Kennedy’s domestic policies were designed to stimulate international trade, reduce unemployment, provide medical care for the aged, reduce federal income taxes, and protect the civil rights of blacks.

Does that sound familiar?

Joe T.
    Joe T.
    I miss SoCal - - - -

Spyder Garage

Unhappy

I'm sure I'll get well and thoroughly FLAMED for this:

If President Kennedy were in politics today his democrat party would call him a Republican.

EDIT:

Well, I'll apologize now as I realize that a political statement is " verboten" in the off topic section. My political awakening started with President Kennedy's assassination. In the early 60's all I cared about was girls and motorcycles. Still do---- but politics rears its ugly head once in a while.
    Last edited by Lew L; 06-12-2020 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Speelling
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Hey Lew, you spoke the truth, mostly. My political awakening was in the FDR days. I served in the Navy under Eisenhower and Kennedy as a spook. So I could get very political, but for now.....LET'S RIDE BABY!!!
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post

If President Kennedy were in politics today his democrat party would call him a Republican.

EDIT:

Well, I'll apologize now as I realize that a political statement is " verboten" in the off topic section. My political awakening started with President Kennedy's assassination. In the early 60's all I cared about was girls and motorcycles. Still do---- but politics rears its ugly head once in a while.
    I don't see any particular reason why Democrats would call Kennedy a Republican today, at least not based on the GOALS you expressed. All else being equal, I don't think you can find anyone in either party who would say that "stimulate international trade, reduce unemployment, provide medical care for the aged, reduce federal income taxes, and protect the civil rights of blacks" are not laudable goals. The goals aren't the problem. The problem is how to ACHIEVE those goals.

OTOH, when we talk about what laws are appropriate to achieve those goals, I'm quite sure Kennedy would not be exempt from name-calling on both sides today. It's "what we do." Anybody can be called anything by anybody today for any reason. I can post something Reddit and get called names and then post the exact same thing on Fox News and ALSO be called names. Everyone is constantly MAD about politics and I really don't see why. Very little in my personal situation has changed in the last 30 years during several different administrations. Minor increments, yes, but nothing to get particularly mad or happy about. There are some trends in our society that I think are wrong, but they go back decades and therefore do not justify the current anger on both sides. As I see it, the problem is the constant use of sports analogies to politics. Instead of working together on stuff, we are now on "teams" that have to "win." We absolutely cannot have a compromise because that would mean the other team got something, and that would mean our team wasn't a total winner! As for why this is so, I would blame the internet, the 24-hour news cycle, and too many people with too much time on their hands.

This is part of the reason I prefer to spend my time on Zarmina. Nobody argues politics on Zarmina. They might kill each other, but at least they don't argue politics. LOL
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
    ....... This is part of the reason I prefer to spend my time on Zarmina. Nobody argues politics on Zarmina. They might kill each other, but at least they don't argue politics. LOL
    I like that reply, especially the last bit I quoted!

But we do all hafta remember that we aren't allowed to argue politics here anyway (or kill anyone for that matter! ) So we should be able to replace 'Zarmina' with 'SpyderLovers', and not get too mired in the 'politics' of (either side of??) the discussion.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-13-2020 at 02:32 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

As one who goes back to FDR's time, the cause of division are the social networks, especially Facebook, where all think that their opinions are worth posting. And then the fight starts. OTOH, it's forums like this one that are constructive and we learn practical and valuable things from one another.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Spyder Garage

JFK was not an "Entitlement" President. Remember, "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country." Today, he would have been a Republican.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I was a freshman in college when Kennedy was killed, so I've been able to compare him with all the subsequent Presidents. IMO, he was the most intellectual of the bunch. Regardless of how you view his actions from a political standpoint, they were well thought out and reasoned.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Likely kept us out of WWlll.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post

EDIT:

I agree. That was my point, without blaring it out.

Joe T.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-14-2020 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Removed colour/quote display conflicts
    Joe T.
    I miss SoCal - - - -

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Likely kept us out of WWlll.
    Have you seen the documentary about Kennedy and the Cuban Missile Crisis? Both sides were damn close to lighting the fuse. And there is another historical document, the name and type I don't remember, about how one Soviet military commander just did not believe that a US missile was what their early warning system showed it to be as it headed toward Russia. He refused to push the nuclear button. I don't remember what the object was, but it was not a US missile. The world was hair breadth's distance from nuclear holocaust and one man was smart enough to say no. Here's an article about him. https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...rld-dies-at-77

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

A reason Russia backed down from the Cuban missile thing is they did not have an aircraft carrier. today's capitol ships. Shortly afterward, they laid the keels for three carriers.