Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

alrighty, took my ryker to the dealer to have the swaybar installed. (used brp credit from panels toward part and labor)

told them about the downshifting and they didnt think it was normal. tech said maybe a weight was stuck. this was sat 8/8/2020
    they called me today, they were able to replicate it and the service manger used the word harsh to describe the downshifts. he reached out to brp dealer community and the dealers that had seen this problems say bad transmission.
    so my dealer has a claim in for a replacement for me. bike is 2 months old 1400 miles and it has done this from day 1

yay

Dave

Spyder Garage

If this turns out to be a defect it seems it effects number of bikes. I sent an email to a dealer also asking about their thoughts.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-12-2020 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

Thanks for sharing. Will be interesting to follow what this leads to. If it is indeed a fault, brp will have a lot of rykers to fix. Good thing I still have a year of warranty, hope to also get a fuel pump fix before warranty runs out

Spyder Garage

I am going to wait until Ddorand posts the outcome of his bike. Then if need be I will just take the CVT cover off and take a video of exactly what is happening.

One of my riding routes has a steep and long downhill and the bike does the same thing sometimes more than ten times. It is annoying and since I do not know exactly what is happening very concerning.

Spyder Garage

https://youtu.be/yQCbYSCvkzY

got a gopro. much better sound.

still waiting on brp to answer on what they want done, plus transmissions are on back order until late sept.

i will update as things start to move forward.

Dave

Spyder Garage

We will be going on an eight hundred mile trip shortly on the Canam and there was no way I would depart on the bike without knowing what exactly was happening and if a failure was imminent. Obviously it is not q question of any gear change being involved the Ryker has a CVT no gear changes involved.
    The situation happens on over run, i.e going down hills with throttle closed and occasionally comping to an abrupt stop.
    I took the CVT cover off and took a video of what is happening.
    I am not an expert in CVT but the logical conclusion is that either some bikes were shipped with a faulty driven pulley spring or may even be that the specifications are out of line.
    What happens is the the sheaves on the driven pulley (the larger one) open and there is a delay in the drive pulley taking up the slack of the belt so you get the jolt and the clunk as the belt gets slightly loose and then the slack is taken up. Watch the video and keep an eye on the belt on the upper pulley and see what happens when the now familiar sound is heard.
    I am hoping that in our upcoming journey we will not have too many steep downhill situations requiring closed throttle decent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLu9LA15oBs

And finally no, it is not OK the bike should not behave that way.

Spyder Garage

I think thats normal with this kind of gearbox - if you ride downhill 2up a steep road - she brakes periodically that helps a lot for the "normal" brakes - thats so fantastic, would not change it !! Downhill she is much faster than each Spyder-Modell and most of the motorcycles ..
    With the Ryker I use most time the "brake" of the gearbox - different to our old Spyder-Modells, some say the brake-pads on the Ryker can work 50.000 miles !?!
    (13.000 miles here in the Alps - 80% up & downhill )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNxC9i1TaRI&t=24s
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

https://youtu.be/yQCbYSCvkzY

better video of the noise.

also aregg made a nice video of the pulleys acting up with the cover off.

Dave

Spyder Garage

The CVT does not change down gears, there is no braking system involved there is an issue that am sure Ddorand will clarify soon. Here is my final video. I cuss myself for trying to save some money and not buying a Spyder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6zYHl7PrL4

Spyder Garage

oops i posted in the wrong thread cause i got distracted at work. trying to keep everything in one thread.

copy and paste

Alright, I got an update

Brp is now acknowledging that this is an official issue now. My can am service manager called me yesterday with an update.
    The brp engineers are studying the transmissions that they have changed. There is an issue with the design like you said.
    They want me to wait until they figure it out as the issue isn’t guaranteed to be resolved by a trans change.
    They said that the current statistic is a 50% resolution rate from swapping them. 5 of every 10 do it still.

There is no harm being done to anything on the bike by having this happen and it rides perfectly fine. So I am not worried about it just yet

Dave

Spyder Garage

It is interesting to me that people keep referring to the Ryker's 'Gear Box', when there are no gears (or box for that matter). It's all centrifugal weights, springs and variable pulleys.

I think the only damage you may be doing will be to the belt. I would say that over time, it may wear out sooner than with a correctly working CVT. But I would also think belt replacement would be part of the warranty fix, once they have one. It would be interesting to know what the 'Design Flaw' is. If it is a design flaw, and not a production or manufacturing defect. You would think all Rykers would suffer the same symptoms.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info.

So my 19 Rally is waiting on a fix from BRP for:
    The "skipping" belt/clutch described above
    Noisy fuel pump
    Leaking brake reservoir cap

Fine by me as long as I can keep riding and they actually fix these issues.

Spyder Garage

BajaRon, without being disrespectful I think some owners do not even realize they have an issue. Specially if they do not go up and down hills.

Spyder Garage

@Baja Ron - from what brp is saying, there are a lot of rykers having this issue. they have replaced a bunch of transmissions, that is how they figured out it is an issue. the trans replacement isnt fixing the issue on half of them so no they are investigating the issue. when will your red sway bar links be back in stock? waiting for them to return so i can get a set lol

@Rob R. - fuel pump has a fix now. they are sending out the spacer for the valve. they have also confirmed what i have been fighting with people about in the FB group. a new fuel pump will not fix the whine. the pumps have not been retrofitted with the fix just yet. my parts are on the way to my dealer but we are waiting until the trans fix is found before doing anything since the only issue is noise and not performance. not a dire need to fix it.

@aregg - no hills where i live and mine does it all the time :P

@Baja Ron - pulleys are just gears with no teeth lol :P

Dave

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ddorand View Post

@Rob R. - fuel pump has a fix now. they are sending out the spacer for the valve. they have also confirmed what i have been fighting with people about in the FB group. a new fuel pump will not fix the whine. the pumps have not been retrofitted with the fix just yet. my parts are on the way to my dealer but we are waiting until the trans fix is found before doing anything since the only issue is noise and not performance. not a dire need to fix it.

Correct, putting a new pump won't fix the issue. Funny thing is....there was a post on this forum a while back from someone who had the fuel pump noise issue. He just bought a replacement pump (cost like $40), pulled the BRP fuel pump assembly out of his Ryker and just replaced the pump itself (not the whole assembly which is the pump, electronic module and mounting housing). Worked fine and solved the noise issue.

Spyder Garage

Mine does this same thing. It feels just like if you would drop a gear in a manual and just let the clutch out. In my case it has only done it to me on a flat road, not up or down hill. My wife and I each have one, and she has not said hers has done it. She would not hesitate to do so.

Mine also engine brakes enough that I don't have to use the brakes much at all. So much so that I'm afraid someone might rear end me cause I'm not lighting up the brake lights, so I'm on the brake anyway just to let the guy behind me know I'm slowing down.

Spyder Garage

@foust - same exact here. flat ground and my ryker will slow down fast without brakes and come to a complete stop if i have the room. normally i brake to stop around 4mph

Dave

Spyder Garage

Just a reflection from my side. When my Ryker was brand new last autumn, I noticed this behaviour several times when engine braking to a stop at around 10-20 MPH at flat ground.
    I've driven around 2000 miles this summer, and only noticed it once in the beginning of the summer. So I have a slight hope that it is just a breaking in period required.
    Hopefully BRP/dealers will come back with some more info. I follow this thread with great interest

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

About 8500 miles on my Ryker and it still does this and has since day one. I'm not sure why but my opinion is........Its a secondary clutch tuning issue and my first thought is the clutch backshifting which I believe would primarily be controlled by the helix (ramp cut) and secondary by the spring. It would seem to me that the when this happens the secondary clutch is not backshifting fast enough to match the primary clutch change in RPM. This leaves the secondary clutch partially open (based on RPM) and allows the belt to "jump". When the RPM between the primary and secondary clutch match up better the belt tightens up but then the secondary RPM doesn't match the primary RPM (it keeps falling on slowing down) and the it allows the belt to "jump" again. This keeps happening until the primary clutch reaches disengagement RPM of the ROM of the 2 clutches matches up better.

I've noticed if I keep my RPM about 3500-4000 while slowing down the problem goes away. However, to do this I have to apply the brakes while twisting the throttle to keep the RPM up. Just before I need to stop I completely let off the throttle and apply the brakes harder to stop. Essentially though I have to ride the brake while applying power for this to work and I don't like that.

Spyder Garage

Rob, that's Interesting. Thanks for the explanation, I must admit I have poor knowledge of the actual details of how the CVT works and can be tuned
    I might experience less of the "down shifting" now compared to when I just got the bike, simply because my driving behaviour has changed slighly over time as I've gotten used to the bike.

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

I assume no one has any further news about resolution of this annoying problem.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by aregg View Post
    I assume no one has any further news about resolution of this annoying problem.
    A bit odd that this has not yet been resolved. Or, maybe it has and just not reported. But it has to be something in the variable clutch assembly that is hanging up and forcing these abrupt gearing changes. I would guess that they may need to replace one or both of the clutches.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Has anyone else had this issue and was lucky enough to have had it corrected? I am getting extremely upset over the whole damn issue.

One dealer I talked to said it is normal and nature of the beast, which is the common bull**** excuse given.

To another I sent a video, but was confronted with "Didn't have the time to watch you need to bring it in."

Worst P.O.S. I have ever owned.

Spyder Garage

Final update on the CVT issue. After sending the video of what was happening to my Ryker 900 Rally to three different dealers I finally ended with Tri County Powersports. They actually bothered to watch the video and discuss the issue within the dealership. So I took it to them six weeks ago.
    After almost three weeks they called me saying that they are having issues getting any feedback or decision from BRP and asked if I wanted the bike back while they waited for responses. I said no, keep it till you fix it. Finally they got a response, ordered a complete CVT transmission, replaced mine I got the back yesterday.
    Today I took it to the worst areas around our home and absolutely no issues.