‘20 RTL Stone Grey
    named Britannia in honour of EE Doc Smith’s
    Grey Lensman’s ship.
    Farkles:
    Bestem Carplay
    canamsypderaccessories hitch and wiring harness,
    showchrome trunk rack,
    12v AND dual USB direct to battery in the frunk,
    dual USB switched in the blank console switch spot (parasites the power off the seat heater switch),
    frunk lid organizer,
    trunk organizer,
    showchrome rider backrest,
    ryder and passenger cup holders,
    ram mount for the iPad mini I use for GPS
    quadlock phone mount
    Nautilus horn
    Data blocker on the glove box USB
    Big Bike Parts highway pegs
    Spyderzone dash pouch
    Convex mirrors

‘20 Ryker 900 (my wife’s ryde)
    Farkles
    Slingmods fwd/rev ‘suicide shifter’
    frunk organizer
    dual horn
    Max mount
    Rear seat with tall back rest (not mounted)
    Ryder backrest (not mounted)
    Side bag
    Top bag

top bag makes a good backrest. Will swap on the rear seat if she ever wants to 2up
    2020 RT Limited , Stone Gray

Spyder Garage

Get it to the dealership for warranty repair.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey4201 View Post
    Any ideas?
    My 14 RT -SE also wants to downshift ... not only from 4th to 3rd. ..... but in all the other gears .... WHY , because the transmission is designed to do this when the LOAD is more than the Higher gear should have on it. .... It's a built-in safety feature ..... On MANUAL transmission Spyders ( or manual trans. car for that matter ) the vehicles engine will STALL if you don't downshift. ..... I suggest you read your owners manual ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Yep, downshifting on the 2020's is automatic if you do not force it to shift ahead of time. If you slow down just using the brake you will find the Spyder automically downshifts as the speed decreases.
    Bob H - Derry, NH
    2020 Spyder RT Limited - Petrol Metallic Blue
    2010 RT622 Trailer and BRP Hitch
    BRP Vented Touring Windshield, BRP Backrest
    Garmin 590 with BRP Mount
    Fobo TPMS for Spyder and Trailer
    Lidlox, Blue Sea Fuse Box for power distribution
    Ram Ball Mounts for Radar Detector, Cup Holder and Phone Holder
    Sena 20S / SL2 Headsets, Foam Grip Covers, Belt Tensioner
    BAJA Ron Sway Bar and Shock Adjusters, Heli Bars

Spyder Garage

I am not certain because my Spyder is a 2014 SE6, but if you go out on a level road and shift into 6th gear and then just close the throttle and watch the tachometer you will see that as your speed decreases in each gear it will automatically downshift to the next lower gear at about 1900 rpm. The downshift rpm point may be different for the 2020s but it will probably be about the same for each downshift.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

As BK911 & others have suggested above, the downshift thing is a fail-safe to protect the engine/trans from potentially shoving too much torque thru too high a gear (if you twist the throttle again?!) so it'll shift down if/when you let the revs/speed drop too low for whatever gear you're in. On earlier Spyders, it wouldn't even LET you select a higher gear if you were going too slow/didn't have enough revs on board, but the 1330's have scads of torque down low & can readily pull those higher gears earlier, so if that's still actually a feature (& I believe it is!) the strength of engine tends to mask it admirably while it's doing its thing! You've just pushed the system beyond that 'ability to mask' and so you're forcing it to blatantly reveal itself thru action to save you from busting something!

Just remember that the SE Trans is STILL a manual gearbox, only it's got some hi-tech & extremely smart & capable shift & clutch systems, so if those systems are trying to make you change down; if they're actually changing down; &/or if they're not letting you change up when you try cos you are too low on speed &/or revs, then there's almost certainly a perfectly good reason for it, so listen/follow the built in safety's! After all, you wouldn't ever barely get a 6 speed manual moving & immediately dump it into the highest gear it'll pull without stalling, then let it lug around all day/ride in that gear or higher would you?!? No?? So why would you even think about doing that same sotra thing to your expensive Spyder SE6 with it's MANUAL gearbox that just happens to have some hi-tech shifting & fail-safe features??

By trying to shift down, it appears your Spyder is saying "I don't want to do whatever it is you're trying to do, cos that'll likely damage something!" and the 'fail-safe' is screaming!! Listen to it & ride accordingly!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-11-2020 at 07:50 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    My 14 RT -SE also wants to downshift ... not only from 4th to 3rd. ..... but in all the other gears .... WHY , because the transmission is designed to do this when the LOAD is more than the Higher gear should have on it. .... It's a built-in safety feature ..... On MANUAL transmission Spyders ( or manual trans. car for that matter ) the vehicles engine will STALL if you don't downshift. ..... I suggest you read your owners manual ..... good luck .... Mike
    The manual is your friend.