Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member Don in E Texas's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Time to hang it up

I've owned 3 Can Am Spyders - 2008, 2010 RT-S and the current 2014 RT. Since owning the 2014, I have had about 18 CESS (Key error) faults and all but a few have left me stranded. And about 8 Check Engine Lights. I just came home from going with my car and trailer to tow my Spyder home. Today will be my last ride - I'm fed up and too old to be caught out time after time.

I'll see a local dealer tomorrow - maybe trade is in order for an off=road 4 wheeler --- can use it year round on my tree farm.

don
    Did own: 2008, Red, SE5 - and 2010, Black, RT-S Premiere Edition Number 670
    Now Own: 2014 Black RT-S SE6

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Don in E Texas View Post
    I've owned 3 Can Am Spyders - 2008, 2010 RT-S and the current 2014 RT. Since owning the 2014, I have had about 18 CESS (Key error) faults and all but a few have left me stranded. And about 8 Check Engine Lights. I just came home from going with my car and trailer to tow my Spyder home. Today will be my last ride - I'm fed up and too old to be caught out time after time.

I'll see a local dealer tomorrow - maybe trade is in order for an off=road 4 wheeler --- can use it year round on my tree farm.

don
    " key error " should not stop the spyder .... BUT " DESS error " ( orange screen ) will ..... It's not hard to change, you or someone can remove the FRUNK ..... The DESS module is just above and to left of the Battery ..... Cheapcycleparts sells the the module for about $ 136.00 .... unplug and remove old DESS and re-place with new one ...... if you need any further assistance PM .... Also check my albums fot pics of the Module ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

As BK mentions above, you could replace that module, sure; but why don't you just get the DESS disabled completely thru BUDS?? Others have, and once that's sorted, you'll never get that key error again!

But if you're truly set on getting rid of your on-road Spyder, why not check out the 'Off-Road Spyder' that's currently listed in the 'For Sale by Owner' section?

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ff-Road-Spyder

Quite an impressive looking 'off road' capable machine that'd be a blast to ryde around your tree farm, with the added bonus that it is road legal too! If it was here in Aust, I really wouldn't be getting anyone else to look at it.... altho really, if it was here in Oz, it probably wouldn't still be listed for sale!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Contact jcthorne and get it turned off!!! I turned mine off 2 years ago and will never have a DESS error again!
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

Sorry for my typo -- DESS error it is -- full Orange screen and all. I think module replace 3 times - the last time was the "Latest and Greatest"..... On turning 'off' any of the error codes, mechanic said they would turn it back on - if they saw it - for liability reasons. I has also been suggested I spend the $$ for a new key assembly and new set of keys. I don't think so -- that is shot-gunning a problem and not actually finding and fixing it. To just toss money at it and see what happens is not in my plan.

Spyder Garage

Sorry for my typo -- DESS error it is -- full Orange screen and all. I think module replace 3 times - the last time was the "Latest and Greatest"..... On turning 'off' any of the error codes, mechanic said they would turn it back on - if they saw it - for liability reasons. I has also been suggested I spend the $$ for a new key assembly and new set of keys. I don't think so -- that is shot-gunning a problem and not actually finding and fixing it. To just toss money at it and see what happens is not in my plan.
    Did you ever replace the key lock assembly? There was a bad batch from the factory on the 2014's. I had one of those. I got to it before it caused any error codes thanks to warnings posted on SL. It was replaced under warranty because of the TSB. The mechanic told me that when he went to remove the assembly, it just fell apart in his hands. My understanding is that those bad key assemblies will cause the DESS errors and it's not the module.

Just a thought.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I would have thought that the DESS module replacement would have been covered since it was a known problem. I had that happen to me quite a bit on my 2014 RT. The first time left me for a day. The next time for 10 minutes. After that, it was a matter of swapping the key over (take it out and put it in the opposite direction), and it would start. But I understand. No need to have something that you cannot depend on getting you to where you want to go, and back home. Good luck.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Well the " DESS " module isn't a " wear item " .... IMHO the last one you got should still be UNDER WARRANTY .... Those Modules are a KNOWN " part failure " issue ..... maybe BRP will step-up and make good ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    Did you ever replace the key lock assembly? There was a bad batch from the factory on the 2014's...
    Thanks to SL, when I was first lurking and hoping to learn as much as possible before making my purchase in 2014 I learned two important things that may have saved me substantial grief. The first thing was about the fire bomb 2013 RTs and the second was the bad 2014 key lock assembly. When I bought my '14 the dealership gave me the list of the bad keys and showed me where mine was not on the list.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

DESS can't be turned off (or back on) unless you have the correct license level of BUDS and most dealers don't invest in that level. Plus from what I've read, once it's turned off, turning it back on will require an entire new set of keys as the codes in the original keys are no longer valid.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Thanks to SL, when I was first lurking and hoping to learn as much as possible before making my purchase in 2014 I learned two important things that may have saved me substantial grief. The first thing was about the fire bomb 2013 RTs and the second was the bad 2014 key lock assembly. When I bought my '14 the dealership gave me the list of the bad keys and showed me where mine was not on the list.
    The 2014 RT - Bad Key issue was not related to the DESS module issue. And even the 15-16 DESS modules have had failures , less than the 14, but still not 100% reliable ....... Mike

Spyder Garage

So sorry, and I don't blame you. Best to you.
    Rob
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It is a little bit if a ride but James Thorne is on the north end of Houston and he can fix you up. I never once had a DESS error on my 14 RT in 123,000 miles, I must be lucky.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I never had a DESS error on my 2014RTL. But I did have other issues and know what it is like to lose confidence and become frustrated with a product and incompetent service. Fortunately, most don't experience failures to the degree that you and I have. But it does happen and only you can decide what is best for you. Good luck whatever you do..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Default Can Am DESS replacement procedure.

Your Dealer should have this procedure for repairing your Spyder
    Attached Files Attached Files

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jiffy View Post
    Your Dealer should have this procedure for repairing your Spyder
    I have researched the DESS issue over the years ..... I learned something new today - thanks ..... I found it interesting that the ignition swiich DOESN"t need to be replaced ONLY the Antennae ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Some days are more discouraging. Take a few days to mull it over. Jumping quickly can lead to regrets. Consider your options and, if the proposed trade ends up being the ticket for you. Go for it. But a few days of thought will help you go the right direction, with more smiles in the future.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the good info and support. That antenna is a new one for me --- and maybe the local mechanic as well?? I printed the PFD file. Many thanks for taking the time to do that for me (and maybe others as well). Talked to one dealer today and they are not taking any more service work until the end of July. I'll let cooler heads prevail - have a cold brew and relax.. Thanks. don

Spyder Garage

Another thought is to find someone in your area with the BRP Mega Software and have them disable the DESS System and roll-on.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

don
    HI Don

I was at that same point with my 17 RTL for the 1st 10 months of ownership. It gets to the point you cant trust the bike and begin to hate being on it... mate I hope you can find enjoyment in whatever you chose.
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

The dealer can't turn it back on for the same reason they can't disable it. Their version of BUDS does not have the capability to toggle DESS on and off. Bring your bike down to Houston and I will disable it for you free of charge if you make the trip. Disabling DESS will permanently fix this problem for you.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    The dealer can't turn it back on for the same reason they can't disable it. Their version of BUDS does not have the capability to toggle DESS on and off. Bring your bike down to Houston and I will disable it for you free of charge if you make the trip. Disabling DESS will permanently fix this problem for you.
    Now that is an awesome offer and a cool guy in my book!

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Hi Mike, thanks for the information, very helpful! I just traded my 2013 Spyder RTL for a 2020 RTL, but I still look at potential issues. Your advice is very good; if I were the gentleman with the DESS issues, I would have been looking to trade in my Spyder the first time it stranded me, especially a recurring problem.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Now that sounds like the FIX!!! I can plan a visit with my brother (Spring, TX) and his 2015 RT (he has never had an issue with his Spyder)

Spyder Garage

Now that sounds like the FIX!!! I can plan a visit with my brother (Spring, TX) and his 2015 RT (he has never had an issue with his Spyder)
    Well that's great, He has been lucky ... however BRP didn't fix the DESS for 15 ( or 16 ) models either..... It will take JC less than 10 minutes to dis-able one, 20 min. for two and even if He doesn't charge .... personally I'd throw Him $50.00 each ....it's a BARGAIN .....jmho .... Mike PS, a side benefit not mentioned is - if you want a spare key or Three they only cost about $4.00 ea. plus the cost of cutting it ... NO special Key is needed .... the local hardware store may even have the blank, JC knows which one you should get ....