Thread: Need Opinions

Spyder Garage

Default Need Opinions

I have a 2017 F3-T with the BRP trailer hitch. I'm needing a new rear tire mounted. My local dealer said it would be 3 hours of labor because of the hitch removal. The dealership 111 mile from me said it would be 1 1/2 hours. It seems my local dealer is gouging me, your thoughts.

Spyder Garage

I don't know about gouging but the trailer hitch is held on only by the same axle they'd have to remove to get the wheel off. https://instructions.brp.com/content...mber=219400852

If you have a jack and a wrench available, you could pull the axle, drop the hitch, then reinstall the axle and bring them the bike without the hitch installed.

edit: If that is indeed the case, yes your local dealer is gouging you.
    2019 F3S SM6
    2019 F3S SM6 , Black metallic with pearl color change

Spyder Garage

Sorry but your dealer is gouging you. It take probably 15 minutes or so to remove the trailer hitch. Time to find a new dealer.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

To much work, jack up the hours to scare the customer off. Sounds like it going to work.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

You don't even really NEED a jack to remove the hitch, the 'axle' that holds it on simply slides thru the centre of the axle that holds the wheel on, so you can leave the wheel on the ground & still take the hitch off quite readily!! From there, it's really not all that hard for even the most basically capable (or inept ) 'home spanner-spinner' to remove the rear wheel; and most Tire Retail outfits can at least FIT a new tire onto the rim once said wheel is off your Spyder, plus they offer a range of 'better fit for purpose' tires to boot!

So, barring any restrictive physical limitations, why on earth aren't you simply taking the rear tire off yourself, then taking it to & getting a local tire mob you trust to fit a better tire than that offered by a dealer you hafta travel 100+ plus miles to get to and then they want to gouge you & rip you off on doing the job anyway?!?

There are videos on rear tire removal, and if you follow them/think about it a little, you won't need to re-adjust the belt tension or alignment either, it's just a matter of paying attention to where things come from as you remove them and putting them back in the same place when you refit them..... Sure, it might help if you get someone who knows what they're doing/has done it before to supervise, but seriously, if you can get down there (or lift the bike high enough ) you are very likely more than capable of removing/refitting the wheel - after all, you are (we assume, anyway! ) capable & coordinated enough to RYDE your Spyder reasonably safely, aren't you?? And that requires greater coordination, is waaayyy more complex, & is a far riskier thing to do!

Go on, do it! You know you want to!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-10-2020 at 06:34 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sliderrj View Post
    I have a 2017 F3-T with the BRP trailer hitch. I'm needing a new rear tire mounted. My local dealer said it would be 3 hours of labor because of the hitch removal. The dealership 111 mile from me said it would be 1 1/2 hours. It seems my local dealer is gouging me, your thoughts.
    I would call up your local dealer, or stop by and ask them
    to check with BRP and the recommended time to replace
    the rear tire with hitch. And if they would go off of that.
    It may be that they have never changed one and so they
    are just guessing high.

Worth a call again.

Spyder Garage

Always good to try 3 dealer estimates. 1 will probably have a better ride to enjoy there & back anyway maybe a better restaurant close by all things to consider because does sound too steep

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

If you have a CanAm Service Manual, look in the back of it. There is a Flat Rate Manual in the back of mine.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver