Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    3
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default New Tires...Brand and Size

    I just bought my first Spyder, 2014 RT-S and I need new tires. I've already seen posts that say don't buy the Kenda's. So what brand and size do I buy?

  2. #2
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Central VERMONT
    Posts
    14,452
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gigi2 View Post
    I just bought my first Spyder, 2014 RT-S and I need new tires. I've already seen posts that say don't buy the Kenda's. So what brand and size do I buy?
    Currently the best all-around tire sold today is the Vredestein Quatrac - 5 ..... 165/60-15 for the front ( on your year Spyder ) and 205/60 or 215/60-15 for the rear ..... look for them on-line at Tirerack.com or Vulcan tire or Simple tire .... other REAR tires are General Altimax RT43 & Michelin Defender " T&H " model in a similar size ...... another FRONT tire is the Conti- Pro Contact similar size ...... good luck ..... if you use AUTO tires 17-18 psi front and 18-19 psi rear works really well ...... Mike

  3. #3
    Very Active Member trikermutha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,650
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Kanine kendas are a new tire to add to the mix. Haven't heard any complaints yet on them but they are relatively new.

  4. #4
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Central VERMONT
    Posts
    14,452
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Kanine kendas are a new tire to add to the mix. Haven't heard any complaints yet on them but they are relatively new.
    Well the Kanine's construction specs are the same as the old ones ..... I'll let you decide ...... Mike

  5. #5
    Very Active Member Deanna777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    6,519
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gigi2 View Post
    I just bought my first Spyder, 2014 RT-S and I need new tires. I've already seen posts that say don't buy the Kenda's. So what brand and size do I buy?
    Hi,

    I have a 2014 RT-SE 6 and I am running on the front Size:165/60 R 15 ,Contiprocontact These were installed on 6/20/2016 the bike had 12,807 miles, when these tires were installed and running @ 19 PSI.

    On the rear I am running General Altimax RT 43 size: 215/60 R 15, and running @ 26 PSI. The first General was installed @ 5,824 miles.

    I am now on my 2nd General Altimax RT 43 tire. The 2nd General Altimax was installed @ 24,553 miles on 4/11/2019.

    Total miles on spyder is 27, 809 miles.

    The General has/says " Replace Tire "built into tire.

    I have not had any problems with the General Altimax RT 43 tire.



    Deanna
    2014RTS-SE6 Cognac
    BRP Semi-Rigid Rear Side Cargo Travel Bags
    BRP Glove Box Organizer
    Ron-rnet Laser Alignment
    TRIC-LED Spyderpockets
    STV Black Carbon Fiber Windshield Blackout
    WRAPMYSPYDER.COM Sceptor Kit Reflective Decals-Orange
    After market Dashboard+ GPS plug-in
    BRP Half Cover
    WRAPMYSPYDER.COM Air Dam Web Decal Black Reflective
    General Altimax RT 43 Rear tire
    BRP Full cover
    TRIC-LEDS Front Fender Marker Lights & Saddlebag Markers Lights

  6. #6
    Very Active Member trikermutha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,650
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Well the Kanine's construction specs are the same as the old ones ..... I'll let you decide ...... Mike
    Please plain Lucy!

    https://youtu.be/OLF5uuszcpY

  7. #7
    Active Member BearX16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    East Central IL
    Posts
    32
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Thanks BLUEKNIGHT, glad this was a recent post so I didn't have to wear my eyes out.

  8. #8
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Pembroke, Massachusetts
    Posts
    86
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Currently the best all-around tire sold today is the Vredestein Quatrac - 5 ..... 165/60-15 for the front ( on your year Spyder ) and 205/60 or 215/60-15 for the rear ..... look for them on-line at Tirerack.com or Vulcan tire or Simple tire .... other REAR tires are General Altimax RT43 & Michelin Defender " T&H " model in a similar size ...... another FRONT tire is the Conti- Pro Contact similar size ...... good luck ..... if you use AUTO tires 17-18 psi front and 18-19 psi rear works really well ...... Mike
    Mike, Some have used the 175/55-15 Vredestein Quatrac 5. Would that fit as well as the 165/60-15, is it taller?
    Bob

  9. #9
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Central VERMONT
    Posts
    14,452
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RNBOB View Post
    Mike, Some have used the 175/55-15 Vredestein Quatrac 5. Would that fit as well as the 165/60-15, is it taller?
    Bob
    I have read a couple of posts that said they found a couple of very, very slight contact points ..... for many technical reasons the larger size has no performance differences from the 165/60-15 size...... The " Nanny " prevents Ultimate Lateral traction ..... so why spend more money to achieve something that's NOT achievable ..... Mike

  10. #10
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Pembroke, Massachusetts
    Posts
    86
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I have read a couple of posts that said they found a couple of very, very slight contact points ..... for many technical reasons the larger size has no performance differences from the 165/60-15 size...... The " Nanny " prevents Ultimate Lateral traction ..... so why spend more money to achieve something that's NOT achievable ..... Mike
    Thanks Mike,
    Bob

  11. #11
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    soutwest oHIo
    Posts
    164
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RNBOB View Post
    Mike, Some have used the 175/55-15 Vredestein Quatrac 5. Would that fit as well as the 165/60-15, is it taller?
    Bob
    Just installed 175/55-15s on the front of our (HER) '17 RT-S a couple of weeks ago.

    They fit. Quite well. I did not check every possible contact point, but there is apparently no problem.

    Are they taller than any other tire? No idea. Took off the Kendas (please pardon the foul word) without measuring them, I only knew they were going to leave, and not soon enough.

    .

  12. #12
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Central VERMONT
    Posts
    14,452
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    Just installed 175/55-15s on the front of our (HER) '17 RT-S a couple of weeks ago.

    They fit. Quite well. I did not check every possible contact point, but there is apparently no problem.

    Are they taller than any other tire? No idea. Took off the Kendas (please pardon the foul word) without measuring them, I only knew they were going to leave, and not soon enough.

    .
    Taller ??? ... The manufacturers state the nominal or mathematical sizes, however over many years of checking tire sizes I have learned those listed sizes don't always actually measure the physical size of each nominal size ..... and this applies to each specific Model of the same manufacturer ... to get an idea of what I'm saying go to the TireRack site ... pick a tire ... go to the spec sheet for that tire .... look at the REVS per mile column ( most give this info, but not all ) ..... the revs will tell you the EXACT rolling circumference, if you look at many different tirers of the same ( nominal ) size, it becomes apparent that there can be quite a range of Actual physical sizing .... for a Q-5 in 165/60-15 one Rev = 6 ft. +/- a few mm. ..... hope this helps to understand REAL tire size ..... Mike

  13. #13
    Active Member RudyB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Abbotsford British Columbia Canada
    Posts
    228
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    I have continental pro contact 175/55/15 on my Spyder 38000miles so far 15to16 psi (as per Mike)��

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •