Spyder Garage

Default RainX and helmets

I haven't yet had the joyful experience of riding in the rain, but was wonder about that. Is it safe, or even needed to apply something like RainX or some other such product to the face plate of your helmet to help shed rain water? Will something like that have an adverse effect to the plastic such as get a dull coating on it.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

RainX will craze the plastic on either your faceshield of your windshield. There are antifog compounds that will for motorcycle face shields to keep them from fogging up.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

NAPA got it. Lot of other places too. It brings the plastic shields and things back to a clear you can see through.

No need to worry about the rain. Just turn your head slightly to the side and the wind will clear your shield.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    I haven't yet had the joyful experience of riding in the rain, but was wonder about that. Is it safe, or even needed to apply something like RainX or some other such product to the face plate of your helmet to help shed rain water? Will something like that have an adverse effect to the plastic such as get a dull coating on it.
    They do make a safe rainx for plastic. I use it on face shields and windscreens.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jredman View Post
    They do make a safe rainx for plastic. I use it on face shields and windscreens.
    .....Maybe a year or so back " Rain-X " came out with a version that was specifically for use on PLASTICS, I use it and like it ...... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have not (yet) used the special Rain-X for plastics, but will pick some up when I see it.

The reason that you DON'T use the regular Rain-X on plastic is because most windshields have a hardened coating that helps prevent scratching. The alcohol in the Rain-X attacks that, leaving you with no scratch protection. Note that Windex and any other glass cleaner that has alcohol will do the same thing.

My usual go-to for windshield cleaning is a two-step process. I carry a water-soaked microfiber cloth in a sandwich-sized zip-loc bag in the saddlebag. When stopping for fuel, I drape the cloth over the windshield to soften the bug guts that have collected. By the time I am done fueling, I will use that cloth to wipe the shield clean. The second step is Meguiar's Cleaner/Wax. Wipe some off, let it haze up a bit, wipe it off. NOTE: When cleaning a windshield ONLY USE VERTICAL STROKES. That will prevent glare from any minor scratches.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .....Maybe a year or so back " Rain-X " came out with a version that was specifically for use on PLASTICS, I use it and like it ...... Mike
    Thanks Mike, I'll keep an eye out for it on my next travels.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

+1 on Steve W. to use vertical strokes on the windshield, and I also apply that to the face shield on our helmets. Learned that from my motorcyclist ophthalmologist - seems the eye/brain recognizes horizontal lines better than vertical ones, so horizontal scratches are much less noticeable. He said never clean the screen in circular strokes, those will be the most annoying scratches or streaks.

As for cleaning, I don't use anything for normal cleaning except clean water. After cleaning the bike or trike I usually use a polish like Plexus, Novus or such. The polish helps the rain blow off, and makes it easier to remove other residue. I have known some folks to use furniture polish, but I don't know what is in some brands so I stick with the dedicated motorcycle windshield products.

In the "To each his own" department, I don't like using the fuzzy kind of microfiber to clean. The microfiber with a weave or a nap gets stuff like pieces of bug shells, dirt and such stuck into the fibers that may scratch. For cleaning I use clean terry cloth towels as stuff seems to wash out of them easier, and they are cheaper. Usually free as I use cloths that are cut from towels that the Admiral has deemed too worn for house use. I keep a few dedicated towels for the windshield and a small spray bottle with clean water in the frunk for windshield cleaning on the road. If the towel gets too dirty, it gets discarded, or I use it to wipe the brake dust from wheels or grease and throw them away. I use clean microfiber for drying cleaned surfaces and polishing.

Never use paper towels, they are like fine sandpaper and will eventually dull the finish on most plastics. Also Do Not ever use, not matter how dirty your windshield may be the cleaning wiper from the bucket at the gas pump. Pretty much guaranteed to scratch, and who knows what is in that solution.
    2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited, 2013 Triumph Bonneville T100
    Motorcycle Rights: AMA Charter Life Member, MRF, FORR Life Member Local 11 Southwest Missouri, Mid-South MILE organizing committee member
    2018 RT Limited , Got one, on, then off then on until Gloria decides if she likes it or not. blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ozarkryder View Post
    I have known some folks to use furniture polish, but I don't know what is in some brands so I stick with the dedicated motorcycle windshield products.
    Lemon Pledge. Specifically Lemon and specifically Pledge brand. Works very well HOWEVER it WILL attract bees.

Spyder Garage

Rain X for plastic is never a bad idea, as it also makes it easier to get bugs off. Another option is an Aerostitch VeeWipe that you can put on a thumb or forefinger. Downside to that is the need to remove a hand from the bars, but beats not being able to see!

squeegee.jpg

Spyder Garage

I heard that RainX is not good for the windshield. I use NexGen ceramic coating on my windshield. It does great repelling bugs and water. You can use the ceramic coatings on almost any surface. I use it to polish my Spyder and my cars.
    2013 RT-Limited , White

Spyder Garage

I tried the RainX for plastic on my windshield and found it difficult to get a good application without it streaking. I stick with Plexus or Lamonster's Black Diamond Detailer.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    Lemon Pledge. Specifically Lemon and specifically Pledge brand. Works very well HOWEVER it WILL attract bees.
    This ^^ I use the dollar store brand myself, but ti seems to work well. I use it on the windshield too - makes the bug/road grime easier to remove.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange