Spyder Garage

Default Mentioning Another Member

Suggestion... On some of the other sites I frequent who also use vBulletin, there is an option to use the "@" plus their user name, for example @Ready2Retire. This will send a message to that user under the "Notifications" tab that they have been mentioned in a post. This is useful if for example you know that member would have an answer to a question, or has "Been there, done that" and you want to get their attention. That doesn't seem to be an option on this site. Can that be turned on?

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Grand Design Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ready2Retire View Post
    Suggestion... On some of the other sites I frequent who also use vBulletin, there is an option to use the "@" plus their user name, for example @Ready2Retire. This will send a message to that user under the "Notifications" tab that they have been mentioned in a post. This is useful if for example you know that member would have an answer to a question, or has "Been there, done that" and you want to get their attention. That doesn't seem to be an option on this site. Can that be turned on?

John
    ... this would save time ..... if I want to make sure info I have provided gets seen by the asker or someone else ... I will PM and or E-mail them to make sure they know the info is there ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wouldn't that be the same as subscribing to the thread? As you would get a notification?

Spyder Garage

Researching an answer.
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

The PM tool is actually used here a lot as a way to communicate with a member and is the preferred method of private communication or bringing attention to a particular thread. We have some very active members that may get bombarded with the @ notification.

Good question though thank you.
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ready2Retire View Post

John
    That is not a standard option in vb, thats an addon & its not free.

As the site will be changing over to xenforo in a while, i probably wouldnt add it now.

As others may ask or be wondering, that addon does have the ability to be disabled by the user in their settings, if they choose to.

Is it a better feature than subscribe or other basic things that vb implemented in its software????

Yes it is, a simple mention as described, sends you an alert, whether youve the email option on or just use the notification tab at the top, like when you have a new PM. (I.e... i dont have the email option on for PM's, but im on here daily....)
    Last edited by AnthonyG; 06-10-2020 at 04:33 AM.
    2018 F3 , Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
    As the site will be changing over to xenforo in a while, i probably wouldnt add it now.
    Any projection when that will be, a month, 6 months, a year, or whatever?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Wouldn't that be the same as subscribing to the thread? As you would get a notification?
    Actually no... Lets say for example someone asks a question. I know that you have run across this issue in the past. I can respond to the thread by saying something like "@trikermutha didn't you run across this a while ago? Please chime in..." And my response will send you a notice that you have been mentioned in a post. While I could send you a PM with a link to the thread asking you to respond, this seems more efficient. Just to clarify...

John
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
    That is not a standard option in vb, thats an addon & its not free.

As others may ask or be wondering, that addon does have the ability to be disabled by the user in their settings, if they choose to.

Is it a better feature than subscribe or other basic things that vb implemented in its software????

Yes it is, a simple mention as described, sends you an alert, whether youve the email option on or just use the notification tab at the top, like when you have a new PM. (I.e... i dont have the email option on for PM's, but im on here daily....)
    Thank you for looking into it for me. I totally get the monetary implication as this is a free site. Some of the other sites I'm on do charge a nominal annual fee ($12.00 per year) to cover costs and keep the site ad free. Safe ryding!

John
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)

Spyder Garage

Since the subject has been brought up......

How many of you would be willing to pay a fee for yearly membership???
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 06-10-2020 at 01:12 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Since the subject has been brought up......

How many of you would be willing to pay a fee for yearly membership???

Not me, not at the current time.
    I hope you didn't take my reply as a suggestion to charge a fee. I was just stating what some other sites do to cover costs in response to AnthonyG mentioning the option is not free. I much prefer free sites!

John
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Or charge a fee just in the sellers area this would help keep the site running. JMO