Spyder Garage

Default 2013 ST-SE5 won't start, then starts but dies after a few seconds

I own a 2013 ST-SE5. It underwent the 14,500 maintenance at the dealer a couple of weeks ago, just before Memorial Day. The bike actually had 44,500 miles approx when I bought it in the beginning of April from a dealer in town. It has run fine the last couple of weeks.

Today, I got on to go to work and it was really cold after some really hot days of sitting. It wouldn't start. About an hour later I tried again and it started just fine but turns off the engine after about 10 seconds. The oil light is on after it shuts itself off. I don't see any errors on screen and the screen fires up just fine and lets me push the mode button to get to the main screen without issues. Kill switch is obviously off since it starts up initially.

Spark plugs were replaced as well as a host of other things that are part of the 14,500 maintenance.

The last day I drove it to work was Friday of last week. When I got on to go home, there was an engine light and the bike believed it was 120 degrees out because it was hot (but not that hot) and the temp gauge was all the way down. After getting it down the street to fill up gas it came back on with no engine error and there was never indication on the display that it went too hot. It's been really windy and rainy and this morning was surprisingly cold. I'm letting it sit for the rest of the day and will start it up again when I get home to see what happens. Any suggestions? I don't want to go back to the dealership and if i do, it'll be to discuss trading it in for a different one.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You can check for error code by Pressing mode, set and turn cancel buttons. All at the same time and see what codes come up if any. Usually the best time to do the is when you get a check engine light and before you shut the engine off. You may have just gotten some bad gas. Do you put your Spyder on a battery tender when its parked?
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

No. and it was only parked for 3 days. I may need to look into that.

Spyder Garage

Can you recommend a specific battery tender? I live in an apartment complex, so having an extension cord hanging out isn't going to be a good option for me.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nmspyder2020 View Post
    Can you recommend a specific battery tender? I live in an apartment complex, so having an extension cord hanging out isn't going to be a good option for me.
    I have seen SOLAR powered ones .... Mike another very common issue is the vacuum hoses to the Throttle body ..... the OEM's are rubber and they break down from heat cycling / age ...... easy to swap them out for some silicone ones from the auto parts store ...... even if this was done by a dealer they used the same crappy OEM ones ..... hope this helps .... Mike

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Battery tender jr. by Detrain is what I use. I asked because you tried to start it this morning and you will again tonight all that trying sometime kills the battery. I always put the tender on because I never know how long it will be before I ride again or because I take just a short ride. If you do not have access to an out door electric source than a tender wont help. Look for the codes but if you just got gas and all of a sudden it wont run then it is probably Bad Gas, it will not take much water in the gas to mess things up. Hopefully it was just flooded and it will be fine when you get back to it.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    Battery tender jr. by Detrain is what I use. I asked because you tried to start it this morning and you will again tonight all that trying sometime kills the battery. I always put the tender on because I never know how long it will be before I ride again or because I take just a short ride. If you do not have access to an out door electric source than a tender wont help. Look for the codes but if you just got gas and all of a sudden it wont run then it is probably Bad Gas, it will not take much water in the gas to mess things up. Hopefully it was just flooded and it will be fine when you get back to it.
    I just filled up on Friday actually before it sat for 3 days. We will see..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I have seen SOLAR powered ones .... Mike another very common issue is the vacuum hoses to the Throttle body ..... the OEM's are rubber and they break down from heat cycling / age ...... easy to swap them out for some silicone ones from the auto parts store ...... even if this was done by a dealer they used the same crappy OEM ones ..... hope this helps .... Mike
    I just got most of the hoses replaced just before Memorial Day, so hopefully that's not it. Thank you though.

Spyder Garage

If i remember right if the nanny sees the ambient temp to hot it set a code but should go away after a couple of miles. Why it starts and then shuts off i do not know.
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by safecracker View Post
    If i remember right if the nanny sees the ambient temp to hot it set a code but should go away after a couple of miles. Why it starts and then shuts off i do not know.
    I got a mechanic friend over to look and as soon as he got here it started right up- but produced the error P2530.

I turned it off and it came right on again with no check engine light this time. I also got the battery tender and plugged it in. Battery is at 95%. So that was never the issue. I’m leaving it plugged in when not in use. Also, I had been turning it off with the kill switch so I wonder if something in there was triggering a fault. I don’t know. Until it happens more consistently I’ll keep it with me and call the dealer if it happens again.