Spyder Garage

Spyder 2020 RT, What should it sound like ?

Hi, I'm reaching out from Turkey. I've owned various Spyders: RS, RTS (1330), F3 limited, and now a 2020 RT limited. I believe I am the first owner of a 2020 RT in Turkey, and I do not have any references that I can compare.

I've noticed some sound differences from the other model's that I've had:

When going at 90+ kph (56+ mph), I get this high pitched noise (https://youtu.be/5xd_3PLsjk0). When I apply more gas, the noise gets louder. When I lower the gas, the noise goes down. When I stop the gas completely, the noise goes away. It does sound like a Supercharger hum.

When going at around 60-80 kph (35-50 mph), the sound profile changes to a sine wave, and it gets a lower pitch (https://youtu.be/oB3HirYwJrs). You can hear the sound even when there is no gas. Also, the tone changes when slowing down or speeding up.

I've made sure the belt tension is set, but that did not change the sound. Is this expected from this model? If not, what could be the issue? Is it safe to ride, or should I stop until I figure out what is happening?

Thank you!

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I don't have a 2020 but I have heard of some talk about that type of sound coming form the fuel pump that and that it gos away after putting on some miles. How many miles have you put on your Spyder? I think I remember see something like the sound gets less and less until about 2000 miles than its gone. Hopefully someone with 2020 or have see the same info will confirm that. Not sure about the miles it maybe less.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    I don't have a 2020 but I have heard of some talk about that type of sound coming form the fuel pump that and that it gos away after putting on some miles. How many miles have you put on your Spyder? I think I remember see something like the sound gets less and less until about 2000 miles than its gone. Hopefully someone with 2020 or have see the same info will confirm that. Not sure about the miles it maybe less.
    Thanks for the swift reply! My RTL is currently at around 370 miles (600 km). The closest issue with my other models that I remember is that my 2014 RTS had its fuel pump replaced twice but it made the noise while stationary so maybe they are related. Do you know of any other posts about 2020 RTL that mentions this or similar issue ?

Spyder Garage

In his latest YouTube video, Shawn Smoak's talks about that sound and thinks its caused by the shape of the plastic under the windshield.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAQnSD4fYOk&t=985s
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

I've experienced this on my '20 RTL between 48-51 mph. I decided it was main drive belt related. I have 2100 miles now, the sound is still present but is a lot less noticeable now that I have some miles on the bike.
    [img]
    2020 RT Limited , Chaulk White

Spyder Garage

If you think it's a belt related noise, a 'quick & simple' test to confirm that is to spray some water on the rear drive sprocket teeth then ride.... the water will only last a mile ot two a best tho!

A longer term 'fix' for any belt noise on our Spyder's 'toothed drive belts' is to put one pea sized dab of an appropriate belt grease in one of the visible hollows between the teeth on the rear drive sprocket - it only takes about 8-16 revolutions of the drive sprocket before that one dab has been picked up and spread onto all the teeth on the belt and sprocket, and it can't cause any slippage.... well, not unless your belt is so loose that it's a miracle if your Spyder moves at all!! Just make sure you get/use a grease that's safe to use on our 'non-rubber' drive belts.... it's generally not hard to find some tho!

So if it's a belt noise.... there's one solution

2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Re a couple comments above about the Smoak You Tube, I follow him real close, a guru on the RT, beliEve he refers it to a whirring noise, pay no attention, it's normal. I have a 2020 and believe I have the similar sound, I am not concerned. If it troubles you, take to your dealer tech, let him ride it and give you his thoughts.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleA View Post
    I've experienced this on my '20 RTL between 48-51 mph. I decided it was main drive belt related. I have 2100 miles now, the sound is still present but is a lot less noticeable now that I have some miles on the bike.
    I've got about 300 miles on my 2020 RTL and experience a high-pitched whine also at 48-51 mph. I asked the dealer about it, and he said it should go away with break in. Keeping my fingers crossed. I spend a lot of time at the speed on the NC back roads.
    2020 Limited , Red

Spyder Garage

I just put 150 miles, and noticed sound at 70+ MPH, my thought was that this is the air makes sound around spoilers.
    2020 Can-Am Spyder RTL
    2009 Yamaha V-Star 1300T (sold)
    2007 Yamaha V-Star 650 (sold)

"I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as fast as I could!"
    2020 RTL , Asphalt Grey Metallic

Spyder Garage

To the best of my recollection, the whine in the YouTube video sounds similar to the noise my 2014 fuel pump made, that was replaced under warranty. It doesn't sound harmful to me. If it gets worse or louder, then I might be concerned.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

-I have a 2020 Spyder RT Limited. I also have a engine whine that increases with speed. Mentioned it to my dealership. Asked him if he had heard of this problem from anyone. I have been waiting for this to appear on Spyder Lovers. It seems this has become a problem with the 2020. Now I can tell my dealership that mine is not a isolated problem. Thanks

Spyder Garage

My 2020 RT definitely has the whirring sound at 50 mph. Dealer said he was going to put a ticket in to BRP.On a different board they were discussing this and said BRP has changed this sound from normal to not normal. That post was about a month ago.

Spyder Garage

My 2020 RT definitely has the whirring sound at 50 mph. Dealer said he was going to put a ticket in to BRP.On a different board they were discussing this and said BRP has changed this sound from normal to not normal. That post was about a month ago. It is definetly the belt.

Spyder Garage

I have about 1100 miles on mine and between 40 & 50mph I can hear the whine and it sounds like drive train noise, it is there under a load and less when I let off. Pretty sure it's mechanical. I just hope it disappears before the 3000 oil change.

Spyder Garage

Has anyone heard anything concerning the whining sound coming from engine on my 2020 RTL. Reported to my dealership. I now have 2400 miles on my Spyder and the whining sound has not let up. Begins around 45 and up, Very annoying when on a long ride.

Spyder Garage

I'm having the same issue. 2020 Spyder RTL. Just hit 250 miles. The whining noise appears to be getting louder.
    Seems most noticeable at 50 mph. Goes away at about 53 mph and up, and about 48 mph and down.
    I'm planning on calling the dealer this week to get their opinion. Sure hope this goes away!

Spyder Garage

I am having the same noise, especially around 2900 RPM - 49 mph in 5th gear. I am currently at 3800 miles and no sign of letting up. It sounds like a mechanical high pitch whirring sound - hurts my ears and very annoying.
    2021 S2S , Green

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It almost sounds like the front pulley sound Shawn Smoaks refers to in one of his videos. He said it's present on all 1330 RTs but because of the change in fairings on the 2020+ models, the sound is now heard. He said the 2021 lates have a new front pulley that's supposed to fix this. From other SL members research, it appears the pulley is just over $100 plus labor to replace unless you're really handy. IMHO (not that this matters much), BuRP should retroactively replace that front pulley with the new one on ALL 2020+ RTs.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    It almost sounds like the front pulley sound Shawn Smoaks refers to in one of his videos. He said it's present on all 1330 RTs but because of the change in fairings on the 2020+ models, the sound is now heard. He said the 2021 lates have a new front pulley that's supposed to fix this. From other SL members research, it appears the pulley is just over $100 plus labor to replace unless you're really handy. IMHO (not that this matters much), BuRP should retroactively replace that front pulley with the new one on ALL 2020+ RTs.
    Has anyone found the part number for that pulley yet? A correctly aligned belt with reduced tension (180#) cut the noise by about 50%.
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Spyder Garage

There is another thread here about it in which Shawn Smoak says that the 2021 late models, ones that will begin production in Jan 2021, will have the new pulley on them.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Papaloco View Post
    I have about 1100 miles on mine and between 40 & 50mph I can hear the whine and it sounds like drive train noise, it is there under a load and less when I let off. Pretty sure it's mechanical. I just hope it disappears before the 3000 oil change.
    Same for my F3 Ltd. Gear box mechanical noise I reckon. Way too loud to ignore.
    2020 F3 Ltd , Brake Pedel lowered. Liquid Titanium

Spyder Garage

Put mine in the shop Monday to have them take a look - just put 3200 miles on it last 1-1/2 week riding and the noise remained the whole trip.
    2021 S2S , Green