Spyder Garage

Default 2020 RT radio reception

As has been stated in several other posts, the radio reception on my sucks. My 2015 radio was as good as any 4 wheeled vehicle I own. So today I decided to see if I could get my antenna out and clean off the loctite. After studying and removing panels (sorry, didn't think to take pictures. It's not that bad, just time consuming figuring out what needs to come off and how to get it off.) This is what I found. 20200607_123611.jpg
    The antenna was about 1/4" from being screwed down. The ring connector held up slightly in the second photo is connected to the antenna wire going to the radio. The antenna was locked in place by the loctite and required a needle nose pliers to turn it enough to get it broken loose and removed. The ring connector was already showing signs of corrosion and the Spyder has only been washed once.
    Cleaned everything, removed loctite, used emery cloth on the ring connector, applied a dab of dielectric grease to it and reassembled everything, tightening the antenna down snugly on the connector.
    Reception seems improved, but as I ran out of time, I will know more after a proper ride.
    Another sad commentary on pride in your work. Just throw it together, get it close, let the dealer or end user worry about it.
    Sorry about the mini rant.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

When I took my panels off, my antenna wasn't even connected. Maybe that's a set up issue?
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

I have a picture of the Spyder before it was completely out of the crate. The rear trunk and bags is one assembly, separated from the frame for shipping, but I can't see if the antenna is installed or not.

Spyder Garage

I had my saddlebags pulled apart this weekend to install the trailer hitch kit and saddlebag retrofit kits. I was looking at the antenna wiring while I had things pulled apart. I am an electrical engineer and one thing I noticed is the gauge and type of wire used for the antenna. Typically the antenna wire used in a car is a shielded cable and the shield is connected to ground to reduce any noise from the surrounding car wiring. The wiring in the Spyder is a very small gauge and does not appear to be shielded.

When I completely remove the antenna from the Spyder, the reception is the same with it connected. I connected. A jumper wire between the steel frame on my garage door to the antenna base. No change in reception.

Using the wiring diagram in the BRP shop manual you can see the antenna is connected directly to the Spyder display. I assume the wiring has a break in it or the radio portion of display is not functioning properly. I plan to trace out the wire during the next rainy day I have available
    Bob H - Derry, NH
    2020 Spyder RT Limited - Petrol Metallic Blue
    2010 RT622 Trailer and BRP Hitch
    BRP Vented Touring Windshield, BRP Backrest
    Garmin 590 with BRP Mount
    Fobo TPMS for Spyder and Trailer
    Lidlox, Blue Sea Fuse Box for power distribution
    Ram Ball Mounts for Radar Detector, Cup Holder and Phone Holder
    Sena 20S / SL2 Headsets, Foam Grip Covers, Belt Tensioner
    BAJA Ron Sway Bar and Shock Adjusters, Heli Bars

Spyder Garage

I'm a new owner of a 2020 RT, and am asking if the antenna can be unscrewed from the base mount for replacement?
    2020 RT , Petrol Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
    I'm a new owner of a 2020 RT, and am asking if the antenna can be unscrewed from the base mount for replacement?
    I never listen to FM but I'd like to know the same (especially if it can be done w/o removing the tupperware). I'd like to install a shorty antenna (as short as possible) just so it doesn't snag when I put a cover on. Like I said, I never listen to FM so I don't care how bad the reception is.

In regards to the original complaint, I've seen a new RT whilst still on the shipping pallet. The antenna comes installed. If it's loose, it's an issue from the factory.

Spyder Garage

BigJohn, the antenna simply unscrews. No need to remove any Tupperware. The threaded base is 6mm and goes through a simple ring connector on the antenna wire. After removing the antenna shine a light down the boot and make certain the ring connector is centered in order for the threaded portion of the antenna will go in it when reinserting.
    As I stated in earlier posts, the reception on mine is terrible. Radio is fine if I don't start it. Once the engine is running, noise overpowers all but the very strongest stations.
    My dealer has opened a case with BRP and they sent a list of things to try. After spending a long afternoon doing what they suggested, there was no improvement. Now waiting for further instruction from BRP.

Spyder Garage

I have 2020 rt ltd. the antenna does not seem to unscrew from the plastic. It looks like it is a grommet fitting base and a wire goes from the antenna to a bolt on the frame. You canot get to that bolt with removing the plastic sidebags. Wish there was an easy fix for the poor reception.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by louisbasle View Post
    I have 2020 rt ltd. the antenna does not seem to unscrew from the plastic. It looks like it is a grommet fitting base and a wire goes from the antenna to a bolt on the frame. You canot get to that bolt with removing the plastic sidebags. Wish there was an easy fix for the poor reception.
    See the pics in the first post of this thread. The antenna does unscrew - I think the 'grommet' you are referring to is simply the boot over the lower portion of the antenna, but the antenna does unscrew at the position indicated in the 2nd pic - altho as mentioned, it is very likely you'll need to use needle nosed or pump pliers or something similar to grab it down low & get enough leverage to turn the antenna due to the excessively excessive amount of lock-tite BRP has slathered onto the thread!!

That said, the 2 posters in this thread who've discovered that their 2020 Antenna simply wasn't connected AT ALL are not alone in this!! Others have also found the same thing, so it's probably worth getting the tupperware off & checking that the antenna IS actually connected AS WELL as removing at least some of the yellow crap/lock-tite!

Good Luck!

Ps: Are you sure that the wire you've seen going from the bolt to the frame isn't just the antenna's frame grounding wire? Have you taken that bolt out to see if the antenna base is actually connected to the radio/wiring/display - you could well be just another who's discovered that the worker on the BRP production line who was responsible for connecting the antenna just didn't bother, and no-one else bothered to check!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-13-2021 at 02:50 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!