Spyder Garage

Default 2020 RT Ground Fault

Well, after 10 years and three Spyders, you can finally add me to the club of "Oh God, It Wont Start".
    I went to Best Buy to get a small item, threw it in the Frunk. I thought I'd go for a nice afternoon ride.
    Now I can't start the Spyder.
    Totally dead. Nothing on the panel, won't turn over, GPS doesn't start. No power at all.
    Two months old, 2500 miles. What The HELL...................
    After the skid marks in my shorts, I tried to call everyone I know for a ride, no one was around.
    While I'm waiting for the flatbed to pick me up I opened up the Frunk and checked the battery connections.
    Sure enough, there was play in the ground connection to the battery. The hot side was tight.
    I got out the screw driver, and started formulating my angry call to the dealer who assembled the Spyder.
    I can't tighten the screw. It was as absolutely tight as it could be.
    Still some play in the ground cable. I wiggled it enough to remove most of the play, but it was still loose. The bolt was just a smidge too long.
    Canceled the tow. Started the bike, got home and I added a washer to the ground connection to take up the slack in the bolt.

I've seen loose battery connections before, but never like this.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    Well, after 10 years and three Spyders, you can finally add me to the club of "Oh God, It Wont Start".
    I went to Best Buy to get a small item, threw it in the Frunk. I thought I'd go for a nice afternoon ride.
    Now I can't start the Spyder.
    Totally dead. Nothing on the panel, won't turn over, GPS doesn't start. No power at all.
    Two months old, 2500 miles. What The HELL...................
    After the skid marks in my shorts, I tried to call everyone I know for a ride, no one was around.
    While I'm waiting for the flatbed to pick me up I opened up the Frunk and checked the battery connections.
    Sure enough, there was play in the ground connection to the battery. The hot side was tight.
    I got out the screw driver, and started formulating my angry call to the dealer who assembled the Spyder.
    I can't tighten the screw. It was as absolutely tight as it could be.
    Still some play in the ground cable. I wiggled it enough to remove most of the play, but it was still loose. The bolt was just a smidge too long.
    Canceled the tow. Started the bike, got home and I added a washer to the ground connection to take up the slack in the bolt.

I've seen loose battery connections before, but never like this.
    Glad you located the issue and it was a minor fix (though surely very frustrating), its really sad in this day and age that there is no longer that element of pride in one's work where the initial installer should have said to themself, 'bolt is too long, let me get a shorter bolt and make sure this connection is tight'

Just sad.
    I love how the earth rotates around the sun ... it really makes my day!

Currently Own:

2019 F3 Limited - Vegas White (Dark Edition) - His
    (Baja Ron bar/links-Short reach bars-Center footpegs-Tall boy screen-Flag holders-LED Skidplate-Spydercuffs-Ultimate seat-LED Headlights)
    *** BLOWN MOTOR Apr 21 @3,800 miles, motor replaced by BRP Jun 5, 21 ***

2019 RT Limited - Phoenix Orange (Chrome) - Hers
    (Baja Ron bar/links-Skidplate-Spydercuff-Comfort seat-LED Headlights)

Previously Owned:
    2013 RT SE5 (Orbital Blue) *31,000 Miles* - His
    2012 RT Ltd SE5 (Pink Full Body Wrap) *41,000 Miles* - Hers
    2021 Ryker 900 (Black) Sport Windshield - Foam Grips - Solo Comfort Seat

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Since you are talented enough to put a washer on ..... if it wasn't a STAR washer I highly recommend you get a few and put them on the Battery terminals as well ..... in 55 years I never had a connection loosen with a Star washers ...... Mike