Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Angry Gave up on BRP connect

My 2014 didn’t have BRP connect, and I really was looking forward to it on my 2020. I like the idea of an uncluttered handlebar area, and using those apps from the phone made sense ... but...

Both Genius and Sygic have real weaknesses, at least in the areas I use them in.

Genius has literally sent me in full loops on the way to my destination more than once. Even with “avoid unpaved roads” checked, it still likes dead ends and dirt roads.

I like the Sygic interface, but it hasn’t been able to find several small towns within an hour or two of my home. It couldn’t even find my home (address is over 35 years old).

The entire BRP Connect system often locks up, requiring me to shut down the bike, wait until all residual electronics shut off, and then restart the bike. It seems to do this most often if I take a phone call. Yes, I have the most recent software updates.

My phone is an iPhone X, not a new phone nor a weird, one-off brand.

I went back to a Garmin (just installed a Garmin XT). Much better interface, and my phone doesn’t lock up without the other background apps.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm on my 1st Spyder, a 2018. I specifically wanted a 2018 or newer for the new style dash and the BRP Connect. I used it for about a month before realizing that it's not ready for prime time. Now, I use my phone (Samsung S10+) and just bought a gently used Garmin 660. I'd prefer an uncluttered dash and the ability to change stations, volume, music tracks and work the GPS w/old skool gloves on but I'll get by. I'm hoping BRP will have figured out BRP Connect by the time I'm ready for another Spyder.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OverHillAndDale View Post
    I like the Sygic interface, but it hasn’t been able to find several small towns within an hour or two of my home. It couldn’t even find my home (address is over 35 years old).
    What towns doesn't it find? PM me your home address and I'll see what my tablet version of Sygic does. I know their search function can be a bit squirrely at times so I'd like to see if I can duplicate your issue.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

We are on a trip and I thought I would use Genius Maps, I hadn’t heard about it locking up so I was surprised when it did. So the last few days I have put my route in my IPhone so I get voice directions from that and I open Genius Maps do I have something to look at. I will be putting on a phone mount when I get home. Too bad it doesn’t work, the dash is easy to see and it would be nice to use it.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I gave up on mine too....it's too convuluted and the dash screen is too small. I now have a Garmin XT center-mounted using the LAMonster mount. I don't normally listen to music while riding anyway, so the XT is linked up to the Sena 20's that we have for intercom and the XT provides voice instructions through my headset. Phone calls (I rarely get or answer any of them, especially while riding), comes through the XT also. To me, this is a much easier way of doing things.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    We are on a trip and I thought I would use Genius Maps, I hadn’t heard about it locking up so I was surprised when it did. So the last few days I have put my route in my IPhone so I get voice directions from that and I open Genius Maps do I have something to look at. I will be putting on a phone mount when I get home. Too bad it doesn’t work, the dash is easy to see and it would be nice to use it.
    Kind of a shame the instrument panel could not be modified / retrofitted to have options of various (phone, gps, etc) plug in modules to accept the device securely while looking like it was made as part of the instrument panel.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Found my BRP Connect far too complicated so I just ignore it, use my iPhone or my Garman, sometimes both. :>) When I'm driving/riding the less distractions the better.

Spyder Garage

I use the BRP Connect bike controls for the music. The music is paired to two helmets, mine and my passengers.
    I have the Zumo XT for navigation paired to my helmet.
    The only downside is that you can't get the GPS instructions through the bike speakers without Lamonsters' Dongle, but if you use the dongle, then you lose control of the music through the joystick.
    This would all be so simple if BRP Connect supported the Zumo instead of a only a smart phone. Even bluetooth pairing to BRP connect would be adequate.
    I don't know if that's a limitation of the hardware, or potentially a future firmware upgrade may provide it.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    What towns doesn't it find? PM me your home address and I'll see what my tablet version of Sygic does. I know their search function can be a bit squirrely at times so I'd like to see if I can duplicate your issue.
    One town it can’t find is Waldo, AL, where I was too meet up with some friends by an old covered bridge. I’ll send you my address via PM.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Yep, I really tried to make it work for me as well. I spent the time to know what it does and doesn't do. In the end it is too limited for me and I don't like the small display area for maps. I too purchased a Zumo XT and am very pleased with its function, Fobo for TPM, and my integrated iPhone. I also have a Bluetooth adapter for the Aux port so I may get audio output from my GPS through the bike's audio system.

Rob
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

Sometimes I begin to wonder if the connectivity problems with BRP Connect and many apps and accessories is the other folks won't provide any kickback to BRP.
    As in, you want to play in our sandbox, lets see the cash.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    Sometimes I begin to wonder if the connectivity problems with BRP Connect and many apps and accessories is the other folks won't provide any kickback to BRP.
    As in, you want to play in our sandbox, lets see the cash.
    That is likely why they don’t have Apple Car Play

2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

BRP Connect (Bluetooth Really Pitiful) is just a bad execution on a good idea.
    When you can buy an econobox car for under 20k that has Apple Car Play and/or Android Auto, there is zero reason this should not be a function of the hardware on the Spyder.
    Center GPS mount on LaMonster's offering, bluetooth iPhone and Garmin to Sena headset here.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    That is likely why they don’t have Apple Car Play
    If they had used Apple Carplay they also would have had to have Android Auto in addition. As I understand it two separate programs. Honda Goldwing started using CarPlay in MY 2018. I just read where Android Auto will be made available this month, finally. BRP Connect is a version of Bosch's mySpin, which has iOS and Android support built into one program. And since BRP has a relationship with Bosch, and mySpin is used in a lot of premium cars, and was the first connectivity program modified to work with motocycles, it makes sense BRP would go with it. Why go through the hassle of establishing a relationship with two new suppliers when you already have a good one with a long time partner?

Here's a link to a white paper about the business possibilities by using mySpin W2. http://www.bosch-softtec.com/downloa...r_20161214.pdf. IMO a lot of the issues related to BRP Connect are problems caused by BRP working with the software vendors to customize the software to run on Connect. Add to that mix variations of iOS and Android operating systems and individual smartphone hardware variations, and you can have a huge mess. You all may be lucky that Connect works as well as it does.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

BRP should be embarrased at how bad there radio reception and the map programs suck. My reception is so bad that I don't even try to use the radio anymore. I use the blue tooth to stream my music to the BRP radio. I use Pandora and my own downloaded music. This works well unless I plug my phone into the usb in my frunk to try to use the map connect thru the dash. The map program again sucks. If they were going to link the GPS feature to a phone app why would they not use Google and or Apple maps. Instead they pick an off the wall map app that isn't up to todays technology. AND when you plug the phone into the frunk USB you can no longer use bluetooth, thus eliminating any music app. So I tried to use just my downloaded music, but the volume doesn't go up high enough to hear it good. The only thing they got right was the bluetooth and the instrument cluster. I give them 1 1/2 stars. Next time BRP why don't you actually try using your technology before you put it on your product.
    2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Papa103 View Post
    why would they not use Google and or Apple maps.
    I don't know about Apple maps, but Google maps isn't convenient for stand alone use, i.e. use it when you have no data connection. Plus, it consumes a lot of data. That is a real deal killer or handicap for many users. Sygic and Genius apps, and I'm sure others, download maps to your phone which you then use for routing without needing a data connection.

My experience with the radio is that it is OK, but a long way from being great. It is particularly poor at pulling in weak FM signals. I can't comment on AM since I never listen to AM.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I don't know about Apple maps, but Google maps isn't convenient for stand alone use, i.e. use it when you have no data connection. Plus, it consumes a lot of data. That is a real deal killer or handicap for many users. Sygic and Genius apps, and I'm sure others, download maps to your phone which you then use for routing without needing a data connection.

My experience with the radio is that it is OK, but a long way from being great. It is particularly poor at pulling in weak FM signals. I can't comment on AM since I never listen to AM.
    Google maps will let you download a region for offline use so you don't use data while traveling. It will stay on your phone for 30 days...
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

I run a Pixel with Google Drive loaded on it and have it on a custom 3D printed holder with a Ram Ball 3" arm screwed to a Lamonster Bar Cuff. I use the BRP radio in town with ok reception, but on the road, I run either Pandora for my music lists or I Heart Radio for stations through the Bluetooth. As for my headsets, my wife have Cardo Packtalk Bold units with Cardo Connect for intercom, phone and route instructions...The downside is that even using the Bluetooth, the BRP system is glitchy and doesn't always want to turn off the music when I get a phonecall or get route instructions.
    Knowledge is the accumulation and remembering data.
    Wisdom is the effective application of it.

[img]https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/maps/map.png?
    2019 Spyder RT Limited , 2" brake pedal riser with wide pedal Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixer View Post
    Google maps will let you download a region for offline use so you don't use data while traveling. It will stay on your phone for 30 days...
    How great a region? I'm under the impression it will download only what's needed to show your route. And then there's the 30 day limit. Still not as convenient as having a map stay permanently on your phone. Sygic lets you download state by state just what you need with 3 free updates per year and every month for a subscription fee.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

I tried Genius Maps. Hated it. Constantly giving verbal notices. I know I am speeding so shut up. You can turn them off, but that had to be done everytime you used it. Also hated that the phone screen was locked when plugged into the usb. So can't use my phone for apps not supported by BRP connect, without unplugging it first. Sometimes it would reconnect fine after being plugged back in, other times not. So I gave up plugging it in at all. My phone is BT paired to the dash. The telephony functions work great. The BT music player functions also work very well. My phone is now mounted on the handlebars. I use it as my gps. I use waze or google maps. Waze needs data but google maps does not as long as I have offline maps downloaded. Turn by turn directions will come out the Spyder speakers as long as I am using the phone as a music player. I have had stand alone gps on my Spyders for years. Since i started using my phone as a gps. I would never go back to using a stand alone unit again.

There are a couple bugs I wish brp would fix. From time to time. The music will stop. The dash shows it is still playing, but my phone will show it is paused. Advancing to the next track will fix it. Second is similar but worse. After about 45 minutes to an hour of riding. The music will stop. But advancing to the next track will not fix it. The music function seem locked up. Turning the Spyder off then 30 seconds later turning the Spyder back on. The music screen will go back to FM. Change it back to BT and drive on. Pain in the butt to pull over and stop. I have now found out that I don't have to stop. Just keep driving and after about 5 minutes. I will go back to FM on it's own. Just switch to BT and turn up the volume again.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OverHillAndDale View Post
    One town it can’t find is Waldo, AL, where I was too meet up with some friends by an old covered bridge. I’ll send you my address via PM.
    Sygic does not list all small towns in its database, especially if the post office address is a different city. Waldo addresses are listed as Talladega and is only 283 population. Sygic finds Waldo Quick Stop but as Hwy 77, Talladega. It does not list Waldo Covered Bridge so I guess it's not sufficiently prominent to get into their database. Google does not give a street address for it either. But Mump Creek Road comes right up! As soon as I searched for 58988 al-77 it listed 58988 AL Highway 77, Talladega, Alabama, the address for the Quick Stop.

Sygic uses TomTom maps but what POI database I don't know. The question is how many of the POIs in Sygic are there because of TomTom and/or Sygic people scouring various databases, and how many are there because of suggestions from users. They are constantly updating it.

Another small town Sygic doesn't find is Beaverton, AL, pop 201. It finds Bunk House Conversions but with a Sulligent address. It does not find Beaverton Baptist Church, but that could be because Google doesn't even show a streeta address for it. It does find Value Star in Beaverton with an address of 12901 US-278, Sulligent. Google shows the address as Beaverton. Beaverton must have only PO boxes as street addresses don't show up in the USPS.com Zip Code search.

As for your home address you apparently live in two cities in one house! Google finds you with both B************* and M***************** as city names, but Sygic only finds you with M***************** city name.

I ran into a search problem with Sygic in North Idaho a few years ago. I was looking for an address on O'Gara Road. Sygic couldn't find it. I finally put in Ogara and up it came! The road sign shows O'Gara. Google finds it both ways.

The upshot is if the place you are searching for in Sygic is obscure, or small, or has variations of spelling, or is known by more than one name, you very well may have problems finding it. It would be really interesting to do a comparison of how other GPS programs, especially TomTom based, deal with these situations. I've felt for some time Sygic search algorithm needs to be more heuristic. As far as city names, for cities themselves and for addresses, Sygic is somewhat at the mercy of their data providers. TomTom maps must be by and large pretty decent since they are used by several GPS programs. One suggestion for doing a search in Sygic is don't get in a rush to enter the entire address. For your home address it came up with using just the street number and name and state. When I included the large city name it didn't find it. That's a shortcoming in the search algorithm I think. It should be able to leave out or substitute incorrect entries.

Before we get too critical comparing any GPS program with Google Maps we need to keep in mind that Google is probably hundreds of times bigger than any GPS company, and they specialize in capturing all the data they can about users. That gives them data resource capabilities that can instantly drown any GPS company.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

I bought my 2018 RTL last fall in Thunder Bay Ontario (north shore of Lake Superior), and by the time I got it home (2 days and 1500km later) I hated BRP Connect and Genius Maps SO much.... the ride was my first ever on a Spyder and the directions and routing on the Genius Maps made NO sense... there is literally only ONE road along much of the ride and it had me turning off on dead end forest trails (luckily I knew better). The screen on the dash was so tiny and the contrast terrible. When I got home I bought a Garmin and put it in the middle of the handlebars, listen to my music via bluetooth..... hope one day they figure out how to make Connect more user friendly and useful!!

You can't get there from here....

Mods and Tweaks:
    Showcrome Trunk Rack
    Showcrome LED Trunk Light
    Garmin 390LM
    Spyderzone Floating Hiway Boards
    Spyderzone Mount Dash Bracket
    BajaRon Antisway Bar
    Showcrome full-size brake pedal
    Spyder-2-Go Driver Cup holder
    Ram X phone mount
    SpyderExtras 12 volt Docking Station
    BRP Driver Backrest
    Monster 4K Action Camera
    Spyderzone LED Fender Mount Spotlights
    CASA LED Headlights and Foglights
    2018 RT Limited , Ashphalt Metallic

Spyder Garage

Billy you are not alone! My 18 RT also locks up when using bluetooth requiring stop and off to correct. I will try a little patience next time and see if it comes back after 5.

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Billy, try unplugging the phone and plugging it back in, that will get your music going again. May not be the safest thing to do but it works.

Papa, I start my music first, through the program, not from Music in BRP Connect. It works fine, has not quit unless I am getting directions from Genius Maps.

The trim around the screen on the 2020 RT was squared off giving you a lot more visible screen and they extended the dash over the top to better shade it from sunlight. I have no complaints about the screen, it is also easy to read. And I have not had any trouble with the radio reception.

Mac, I completely understand why they don’t have Apple Car Play but we can dream, can’t we? Heck even our Toyota doesn’t have Apple Car Play.

2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I found it to be very glitchy at first but got the hang of it and it works fine. Don't get to travel much but when I do I never rely on just the GPS. I do research and get to know the route. I use Google Maps to find where I want to go and use BRP Connect to get there.

The Honda Goldwings came with Apple Car play and those with Androids were pissed. They are just now coming out with an Android firmware for the Wings.

Waldo AL Covered Bridge shows a road with a gap. It's over 2000 miles from me so I on't be going there any time soon.

Loving the bike and enjoying the dash and now that I figured out how to get XM as well as BRP C and all the apps, I'm good.

DB34CEC6-9B26-4847-ACE3-3786B16F8FF4.jpg 6136FE03-19CF-4814-86EF-0E7D629E181F.jpg
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red