Spyder Garage

Default Need to Change the back rest position on a Comfort seat?

My wife took her first extended ride on her 2020 RT limited yesterday and aside from returning in the midst of a rainstorm enjoyed her trip.

The one problem she mentioned was soreness in her back caused by the too-far-back adjustment of the factory back rest. She says the comfort seat is so deep that her back seems to be too high on the back rest to give her adequate support. I tried in vain to adjust the tilt of the back rest but find no adjustment is possible.

To better explain the problem I am attaching three photos. One shows the backrest in the forward position, another shows it upright (in the uncomfortable position) and the third shows the desired position she is looking for.

Other than finding a way to install a spacer to move the thing forward (beyond my capability) , I can't see a way to fulfill her request. If anyone has any ideas on how to address this or if there is another backrest available that may suit her better, please let us know.

pennyrick
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-06-2020 at 06:39 PM. Reason: This is a 'How do I?' not a 'How to:' diy explanation....
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Good question, I look forward to hearing an answer as i would also like to make an adjustment.
    2020 Limited , Petrol Metallic

Spyder Garage

My apology if this is a stupid question, but if you remove the backrest can you see any kind of adjustment screw at the base of the backrest or atop the part of the backrest that fits into the mount?
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Is the comfort seat the problem? I think the back of it is 2” further back from the handle bars.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pennyrick View Post
    My wife took her first extended ride on her 2020 RT limited yesterday and aside from returning in the midst of a rainstorm enjoyed her trip.

The one problem she mentioned was soreness in her back caused by the too-far-back adjustment of the factory back rest. She says the comfort seat is so deep that her back seems to be too high on the back rest to give her adequate support. I tried in vain to adjust the tilt of the back rest but find no adjustment is possible.

To better explain the problem I am attaching three photos. One shows the backrest in the forward position, another shows it upright (in the uncomfortable position) and the third shows the desired position she is looking for.

Other than finding a way to install a spacer to move the thing forward (beyond my capability) , I can't see a way to fulfill her request. If anyone has any ideas on how to address this or if there is another backrest available that may suit her better, please let us know.

pennyrick
    At the base of the back rest, pull up the cover on the back, there is an adjustment screw there. Screw it out to tilt the back rest forward, screw it in to tilt the back rest backward.

Spyder Garage

Lean the back rest forward and you will see an adjustment screw.
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You need an Allen wrench you make the adjustment. Try that and if that doesn’t help she should look at swapping out her handlebars.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    You need an Allen wrench you make the adjustment. Try that and if that doesn’t help she should look at swapping out her handlebars.

Three screws evident. Neither Allen, Phillips or flat. Dealer says there is no adjustment. Seems stupid to me.

Motorcycle Dave has pointed us toward another backrest on this site that is fully adjustable. (so he says). We'll try that option.

Pennyrick
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

I thought the adjustment was BELOW that - you're showing the screws holding the base of the back-rest PAD; if I've got it all the right way up, you need to look for the adjusting screw at the base of the back-rest MOUNT!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Three screws evident. Neither Allen, Phillips or flat. Dealer says there is no adjustment. Seems stupid to me.

Motorcycle Dave has pointed us toward another backrest on this site that is fully adjustable. (so he says). We'll try that option.

Pennyrick
    You're very close, it's right here....
    back rest.jpg
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

I have an Alan screw on mine too. It was under a flap of vinyl
    Bob H - Derry, NH
    2020 Spyder RT Limited - Petrol Metallic Blue
    2010 RT622 Trailer and BRP Hitch
    BRP Vented Touring Windshield, BRP Backrest
    Garmin 590 with BRP Mount
    Fobo TPMS for Spyder and Trailer
    Lidlox, Blue Sea Fuse Box for power distribution
    Ram Ball Mounts for Radar Detector, Cup Holder and Phone Holder
    Sena 20S / SL2 Headsets, Foam Grip Covers, Belt Tensioner
    BAJA Ron Sway Bar and Shock Adjusters, Heli Bars

Spyder Garage

Pennyrick
    Pennyrick, I agree with you, the dealers response is stupid. Now that I have read all the responses and saw Jetfixer's picture. you can go to the dealer and educate them on where the adjustment screw is. Hope it adjusts enough to make the ride comfortable.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixer View Post
    You're very close, it's right here....
    back rest.jpg
    Thank you. You have solved the dilemma.

Pennyrick

Spyder Garage

If it's like the standard backrest 1/4 turn increments make a noticeable difference.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

The brp back rest is poorly designed .When you adjust it all it does is tilt the top of the rest forward or back .It does not conform to your back / \ .
    2018 RTL , dark blue