Spyder Garage

Default Easy Trailer Question

I am looking at a trailer to haul my 2011 SM5 RT Can AM. It is 5.5 feet wide and 10 feet long. It should fit ok but does anyone use a trailer this size without problems? I also have a larger enclosed trailer that I have been using. The one I'm looking at is an open aluminum cargo trailer with 3 foot ramp. Thumbs up?

Thanks in advance.
    Ride safe!

2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Depending on the deck height of the trailer, you will most likely need a longer ramp.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

At 5.5 feet wide, there is a very small margin for error. I don't know if the '11 is any narrower than our '17, which is only a couple of inches narrower than your trailer.

I agree that you will need a longer ramp. The overhang of the front of the Spyder requires a rather shallow angle.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You will need to look at it and measure it. When they say 5.5 wide some time that includes the railing so now you only have 5 foot 2 inch left because the railing takes up 2 inches or more on each side. But 66 inches wide inside the railings will work, 10 foot long is good. The ramp should be at least 63 inches wide and it will only work if you are able to use a hill to help with the angle, the 3 foot ramp is real short most ramps are at least 4 foot and most of them are to short for a Spyder with out doing something to help them like a hill or lift the front of the trailer. Good Luck with your search for a trailer.
    Last edited by CopperSpyder; 06-06-2020 at 09:14 AM.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

I know the following is not a trailer, but it's what I have and I love it:

Rob
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    You will need to look at it and measure it. When they say 5.5 wide some time that includes the railing so now you only have 5 foot 2 inch left because the railing takes up 2 inches or more on each side. But 66 inches wide inside the railings will work, 10 foot long is good. The ramp should be at least 63 inches wide and it will only work if you are able to use a hill to help with the angle, the 3 foot ramp is real short most ramps are at least 4 foot and most of them are to short for a Spyder with out doing something to help them like a hill or lift the front of the trailer. Good Luck with your search for a trailer.
    Ok, good answer thanks. Of course I know my dimensions . Like I said I have another trailer . And as it turns out that ramp is longer than I thought. 40 some inches. Steve W. you must be a good driver to get into a 5.5 inch trailer. My enclosed has the wires on the doors that decrease the width. But my original question was: Has anyone hauled their 2011 on a 5.5x10 without problems? CopperSpyder did pretty good in answering that.

I was kind of hoping some brave man would say, "Hell yea, I do that all the time. No problemo". Anyhow I will probably buy this trailer as an alternate for my 5.5 x 16 enclosed.
    Ride safe!

2018 Spyder RT Limited

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daz View Post
    Ok, good answer thanks. Of course I know my dimensions . Like I said I have another trailer . And as it turns out that ramp is longer than I thought. 40 some inches. Steve W. you must be a good driver to get into a 5.5 inch trailer. My enclosed has the wires on the doors that decrease the width. But my original question was: Has anyone hauled their 2011 on a 5.5x10 without problems? CopperSpyder did pretty good in answering that.

I was kind of hoping some brave man would say, "Hell yea, I do that all the time. No problemo". Anyhow I will probably buy this trailer as an alternate for my 5.5 x 16 enclosed.
    If you want to see how a tight fit can be done ... look at my album for my RT in a Toyt pk-up .... I only had about 1.5 in on either side of my fenders, and loaded it using 10ft ramps that climbed 30 inches in height ..... inside the trk were boards that prevented any side to side movement .... like at a car wash .... I could load that RT with my eyes closed and not hit anything ..... sometimes you have to " think out of the box " ....good luck ... Mike