Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

I certainly don't go that often, even when not riding. Does anybody know, is this still valid? Lew L's comment about type2 makes me wonder how that changes things. I am also type2. I didn't use to be too concerned about hydration in my younger days. Now as I get older, I am more concerned about what I need to do to continue to ride and be safe.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Hydration???

Hi Paul, I think it depends on the medication one takes. The one I take for high blood pressure is a diuretic which make me pee more thus more water intake ( per doctors orders ). BP is now normal. I also take a diabetic med that has lowered my A1C and sugar # count close to normal levels ---- It of course makes me pee more--- thus more water intake. AND--- we live in a dry climate- thus more water intake.
    Being dehydrated is not a good thing, and it can sneak up on you . I think that little sips of water more often are better than gulping larger amounts further apart. But that's JMHO.
    Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

With my medical condition,I have to carry insulin and meds. I just use a soft cooler with ice, water and snacks. I need to get off and stretch sooner than I used to.

Spyder Garage

I purchased a 64 oz hydration bag with an insulated pouch. I use a bungee to strap the whole setup to my backrest with the drinking hose coming out the top and hanging down the right side.

I start the day by packing the bag full of ice and water. When I'm thirsty I hit the cruise control and reach down and back to grab the hose. I always leave the hose empty so the water won't get hot or siphon out. With the Bite valve in my mouth I can take my time drinking a little at a time until I'm done, then I blow back into the hose to clear it and drop the hose.

I've had this setup for a couple years and many multi day riding trips. I occasionally refill the ice but I don't think I've ever run out of water.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MNF3 View Post
    It is easy to get dehydrated and not realize it. The old rule of thumb is if you don’t have to pee at least every 30 minutes you are not drinking enough, at least when working.
    Dad was a master electrician contractor & amended that saying a lil bit with “if didn’t refill the Gott 5gallon cooler least twice a day we weren’t drinking enough. Mostly 2man per site maybe a third on the BIG jobs. Course Louisiana humidity & all the first 10 gallons were before lunch & just ice water. The gator aid /power aid mixes stained first cooler & left light after taste ever refill afterwards , didn’t like that too much. Kept us mindful & managed breaks at good stoping points like after completing a room, not just 1wall. & he was a WORKER many could not keep up & at the lengths he averaged, to get the job done right.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    Hi Paul, I think it depends on the medication one takes. The one I take for high blood pressure is a diuretic which make me pee more thus more water intake ( per doctors orders ). BP is now normal. I also take a diabetic med that has lowered my A1C and sugar # count close to normal levels ---- It of course makes me pee more--- thus more water intake. AND--- we live in a dry climate- thus more water intake.
    Being dehydrated is not a good thing, and it can sneak up on you . I think that little sips of water more often are better than gulping larger amounts further apart. But that's JMHO.
    Lew L
    Thanks Lew for your candor. I too am on a Diuretic. I don't know about my Type2 meds if they have any effect that way. I do not drink pop during the day when riding only water sipping all day and more at fuel stops. I hope I am getting enough. Yes we do live in a very dry climate. And its dryer then normal this year.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Have been lucky & tipped accordingly at few different Sonic’s that would refill my Rt 44 tea while I’m dining at the picnic tables & would fill camelback with lest one. Unfortunately not all will lot depending on the friendliness/experience of the carhop. New hire rookies gotta ask manager & usually a NO

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Diabetic medications will do one of three things 1 slow the absorption of carbs in the digestive system, 2 cause your pancreas to produce more insulin and 3 make your muscles more sensitive to the insulin your body produces enabling them to absorb more blood glucose. Insulin helps to control high blood glucose. Staying hydrated for a diabetic is important as urination is one of the ways your body gets rid of excess blood glucose, hence the thirst and urination cycle.
    2011 rt , pearl white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Baxter View Post
    I've thought about using a Camelbak, but I can't get the mouthpiece under my full-coverage helmet. The chin piece doesn't have enough room to allow use. If you have a 3/4 helmet, there's obviously no problem. So what's the fix?
    I used a Camel-back for years. I mounted a tank bag and put it in there. Heavily iced and with my bike towels wrapping it for insulation.

I had a full faced helmet. They make a 90 degree mouthpiece now and a person should be able to send it up from the chin area, unless you have a really tight full-face helmet.