Spyder Garage

Default Throttle Control

So on average, how long ya figure it takes to get a feel for the throttle on one of these things? I've been trying to roll on nice and gentle so I avoid that loud clunking noise, which I suspect can't be too good for the engine.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

When shifting, hold the throttle PERFECTLY STILL. The engine does the rev matching for you. It also helps to attach a wrist rest / cramp buster to the throttle.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

No shifting on Ryker.

Greg, maybe 200-300 miles to get used to all aspects of the Ryker.

I think the clunk is centrifugal clutch engagement, not affecting engine.

Some think it drive shaft, but my shaft driven Moto Guzzi did not clunk.
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    When shifting, hold the throttle PERFECTLY STILL.
    Although gkamer never said what he's riding, this <is> the Ryker forum.

Do Rykers have "shifters"?

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The only shifter is forward reverse.
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Spyder Garage

All I can say is WHOOPSIE! I haven'tseen any Rykers in these parts, except in dealer showrooms and don't know how they operate. Another goof on my part is not noticing this is a Ryker forum. Gotta lay of the wine with dinner.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Greg, you’ll get the feel for what rpm the cvt engages in no time and soon it won’t feel so jerky.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The Ryker really has a touchy throttle, you’ll get used to it.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Took just a few rides, and I got the hang of it, just a slight twist Before giving it full throttle, there will be no clunk, and the only noise you hear is the rear Kenda singing the song of her people
    My guess is that the CVT can handle quite some abuse, considering how I Believe most people handle the throttle on snowmobiles, it seems common to go 0% to 100% most of the time, never Heard anyone worry about gentle throttle controll to avoid clunks.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    All I can say is WHOOPSIE! I haven'tseen any Rykers in these parts, except in dealer showrooms and don't know how they operate. Another goof on my part is not noticing this is a Ryker forum. Gotta lay of the wine with dinner.
    I can't count the number of times I've done the same thing.....
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the tips guys/gals. I'll just keep plugging away..... I've been mostly cruising around town and taking quick runs down the interstate to get used to curving on ramps and high speed merging.

Folks in town must think I invented a clone machine cause every time they turn around, there I am, zipping by with a mile wide smile. I wanted to take my first night ride last night. So after the sun went down enough, I grabbed my helmet and walk outside. Of course it had started to rain, so I put it off for another night.
    Greg Kamer

USAF, 20 years, retired

Spyder Garage

Another idea you can do while learning the throttle control is put it on 'eco' mode. It makes the throttle less punchy and helps smooth out you going from a stop, so it helps ease that clunking when it engages. That's how it started out when I got mine.

Spyder Garage

Hi Green1 that’s what I do , with just a bit of throttle and I’m in eco all the time as I’m 2 up ( can’t sneak out without wife ) best regards nico 75

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Green1 View Post
    Another idea you can do while learning the throttle control is put it on 'eco' mode. It makes the throttle less punchy and helps smooth out you going from a stop, so it helps ease that clunking when it engages. That's how it started out when I got mine.
    Yup, exactly what I did. Seems to be a lot smoother now, but still plenty of pep when I need it.
    Greg Kamer

USAF, 20 years, retired

Spyder Garage

if you jack up the rear wheel, there is play in the gears. this is where the clunk on take off comes from. i just give it a little gas to engage the clutch and take up the slack

Dave

Spyder Garage

That clunk is something that's inherent in Rykers & Spyders (for whichever reason out of quite a possible range) and it's also inherent in many other 'bikes (& some cars too - my Honda S600 was particularly bad & the latest Subaru XV's with a CVT have it in spades too! )

But seriously, unless there's real & distinctively noticeable slack & a prolonged delay in the 'take-up' before &/or after the clunk, it's been shown by engineers & manufacturers numerous times plus literally millions of operators/miles to have no long term impact if you aren't ryding savagely all the time!! And on the Rykers & many Spyders too, everyone for a couple of blocks around you would know if you were doing that, the rear tires will really shriek when you light them up every time you take off!!

So don't worry about it too much, instead, just get on with your ryding & enjoying the miles of smiles!

Ride More, Worry Less!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-10-2020 at 11:38 PM. Reason: literally millions
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Green1 View Post
    Yea, I did that........
    Greg Kamer

USAF, 20 years, retired

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ddorand View Post
    if you jack up the rear wheel, there is play in the gears. this is where the clunk on take off comes from. i just give it a little gas to engage the clutch and take up the slack

Dave

~~~^This

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    "You realize, of course, that there's no reason to be a pessimist, it's not going to work out anyway "
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    The Ryker really has a touchy throttle, you’ll get used to it.

~~~what some may not know is the Ryker’s throttle is throttle by wire, there isn’t a conventional throttle cable which offers an entirely different response

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    Out with old, in with the new
    2020 Rally , Black