Spyder Garage

Default Why I love riding here

We all have favorite local roads, and I am an unapologetic cheerleader for the areas near where I live in Sheridan, Wyoming. I look out my window and the Bighorn Mountains are right there. I am on the east side of the range, in between Highways 14 and 16, which are the two paved roads that go over the mountains, and all my descriptions are traveling east-to-west. Hwy 16, which goes out of Buffalo, has gentle grades, is mostly forested, and goes over Powder River Pass, altitude 9,666 feet. The only switchbacks are where it comes down the west side of the mountains through Tensleep Canyon, which is a prime destination for rock climbers. The best craft brewery I have ever visited is just past the little town of Tensleep, and if you camp, you can actually stay on-site for just a few bucks a night. The place is a converted barn right up against the red rock bluffs, they often have talented local live music (on an old flatbed truck, which is the stage), and delicious fry bread on weekends in the summer. Hwy 14, which goes up from Dayton, has some steep grades, switchbacks on either end, and the drive up the face of the mountains is reminiscent of taking off in a small plane; the lowlands drop away quickly and the panoramic view is breathtaking. It can cause issues with folks who don't like heights, but there are good guardrails and several places to pull over to allow faster traffic to go by so you don't feel like you're being pushed. One turnout on the way up (Sand Turn) is a favorite place for hang-gliders to launch, and the road traverses Granite Pass at 9,033 feet. Up top is Bear Lodge and the road diverges. You can choose to go down 14 or 14A. 14 features open parks (as in large grassy areas, not Yogi & Boo Boo hangouts), there is a great waterfall (Shell Falls), and the trip down Shell Canyon makes one feel like he's in a John Ford movie. The canyon is very wide, with enormous rock formations and upon exiting the canyon, you will encounter a barren, almost desert landscape with some dramatic buttes and mesas. If you choose 14A, it is pretty twisty and steep, but the view as you break out and can look down on the plains almost doesn't seem real. Be aware, though, there are several miles of HORRIBLE surface conditions on this highway, as it is covered in snow and closed seasonally, and doesn't get repaired properly in the few months a year it is open. Near the bottom of 14A is Bighorn Canyon, a large recreational area (where you can go on a boat tour), and the Pryor Mountain wild horses. There are moose, elk, whitetails, mule deer, pronghorn, and often livestock on either 14 or 16, and be aware that they do not obey pedestrian rules. An incredible day's ride is to make the "loop"...go up Hwy 14 starting in Dayton, turn south on 16/20 at Greybull on the other side, then head east over the mountains on 16 from Worland ending up in Buffalo. I've made the offer before and will make it again here; anyone coming out this way, please feel free to contact me and my wife and I will be happy to play tour guide or just point you towards some of the cool sights in the area. Safe travels!

map.jpg

bighorns.jpg

elk 10:27:18.jpg

shell falls.jpg

shell canyon.jpg

14a.jpg

tensleep brewing.jpg

tensleep stage.jpg

deer.jpg

moose.jpg

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the write up. You are for sure in the "good stuff."

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I have toured from Sheridan to Cody (one of my favorite places) and on to Yellowstone and beyond. You do live in one of the truly beautiful parts of our country. I enjoyed your write up and pictures. Your offer to guide tours is very generous..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I love to ride those roads. I try to come thru the Big Horn mountains coming home from the Deadwood Three Wheeler Rally every year. Thank you for giving us a tour of your area.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the write up. I am hoping someday Sue and i will be traveling out that way. We will be sure and contact you. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Yes, that is beautiful riding country alright. I've done the Beartooth 5 times. For the greatest geological variety, you can not beat the Northwest. In just one corner of the country are fir forests, pine forests, rain forests, high deserts, mountains, ocean, volcanoes, deep lakes, clear lakes, and the mighty Columbia River and the Columbia River Gorge.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Spectacular country. And the truck isn't something you see every day.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

Did the ride on a wide hair weekend, 340 miles. Went from Buffalo to Ten Sleep to Worland and Thermopolis. Overnight in Worland then up to Greybull and then Hwy 14 back east. Great ride, enjoyed it so much we are coming back later this summer to go the other way. Might have to do Yellowstone too.
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey