Thread: Bottomed out

Spyder Garage

Default Bottomed out

I was backing off my trailer and this caught on the apex of the trail and the ramp. It bent down and I stopped. I could not shift into first gear, but I could shift into neutral and reverse. I pushed it back onto the trailer. Using a piece of wood, I levered it back up as far as I safely could. Now, I could shift into first gear again. I left it on the trailer, because it was still hanging down too much. I placed a jack underneath and gently pushed the unit up a bit farther. Starting the Spyder up again, I adjusted the ramp, and got it off the trailer. (Trailer is in my garage.) However, I could not shift into reverse, now. I took it on a test ride up my street. It would shift up, but would not automatically down shift. I had to do it manually. I brought it home and back on the trailer. I guess my next problem is going to the dealer to see what the problem is and what it's going to cost me. (I'm not happy)

IMG_2595.jpgcan am3.jpgcan am2.jpg
    I'm adding a couple other photos. This is the underside of the Spyder, to the left of the catalytic converter. Apparently something to do with control of the transmission.
    Last edited by carsong; 06-05-2020 at 04:32 PM. Reason: better pictures
    -Carsong
    2018 F3t
    2018 F3T , Position 5/ full size Matt Black

Spyder Garage

I am sorry, but what I am looking at in the picture?

Spyder Garage

What you have bent is the reverse actuator support. Probably when it was bent down it was holding it in reverse. Now bent up it is probably to high to operate reverse.

Spyder Garage

Hmmmmm...makes sense. Thank you.

I'll mess with it a little more this weekend. Probably have to take it to the garage next week. The only saving grace is that our weather has been crap for over a week, and will go through the weekend. Rain, rain, rain!
    -Carsong
    2018 F3t

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jiffy View Post
    What you have bent is the reverse actuator support. Probably when it was bent down it was holding it in reverse. Now bent up it is probably to high to operate reverse.
    I'd think that' almost certainly what you've done! They do tend to look as tho they're 'hanging down too much' when they are in their 'proper' position, and when you bent it down coming off the trailer, it made the angle wrong/to steep to select first; but by pushing it up just a tad too far, you've gone the other way & now the angle is too small/far the other way so now it won't select reverse!!

So now you've got to (very carefully) bend it back to where it was originally, before it came off the trailer, which is somewhere between where it was after coming off the trailer & before you bent it up again, ie, where it is now! And it WILL look as tho it's hanging a bit too far down, cos that's what they do when they're in the correct position; but that's also why they catch on things & bend if you drag the belly over something, especially while reversing!! Do you really need to ask me how I know this occurs??

I wouldn't be taking it to a dealer for something like this - their 'fix' will almost certainly cost you an arm & a leg, take a long time to got sorted, and will probably entail getting in some parts that you'll hafta wait a while for too..... but you can probably avoid all that with some judicious & careful re-bending done by yourself at home! Good Luck!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-05-2020 at 08:07 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

710005642 is the number for a 2015 F3S SE6 Reverse Actuator Support. You didn't say the year of your Spyder. Just google Spyder Parts and find exploded view of Electrical System Accessories.

Spyder Garage

Thank you. It's a 2018.
    -Carsong
    2018 F3t

Spyder Garage

Thank you. Encouraging words. I'd like to see what it normally looks like. Maybe someone could post a picture?
    -Carsong
    2018 F3t

Spyder Garage

Same part number 710005642. Exploded view Electrical Frame 3. Ref# 3300e.

Spyder Garage

$25.99 at partshark.com
    3300eReverse Actuator Support
    $25.99

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Here ya go. To make it easier to help, put your spyder model and year in your signature. Look below how I have mine.

Link to parts shark frame page.

to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Wow! Thank you so much. Got it ordered.
    -Carsong
    2018 F3t

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Did you break it? or just bent the plate it mounts to it?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Did you break it? or just bent the plate it mounts to it?
    It's just bent.
    -Carsong
    2018 F3t

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So bending it back in place would get you going again? Or is it bent way out of shape?

If memory serves me correctly the cable should be loose when not used .

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    So bending it back in place would get you going again? Or is it bent way out of shape?

If memory serves me correctly the cable should be loose when not used .
    I am going to try a test ride, Monday. (We are supposed to have a break in the rain!) I bent it back a little, and now I can shift out of neutral and into 1st gear and reverse. I'll have to see if it will downshift and otherwise work correctly, tomorrow. I have a new bracket coming, so I hope that will set everything back in place, and be in good working order. I did fiddle with the cable, and it was lose. I didn't know how it worked, so it was just exploratory fiddling!
    -Carsong
    2018 F3t

Spyder Garage

I would like to thank all of you, for your advice. Took a nice long ride this morning, and everything is now working perfectly. I am a happy guy. I thought this thing was going to cost me a fortune to have fixed. Thank you , thank you, thank you!!!!
    -Carsong
    2018 F3t

Spyder Garage

That's why we are here!

Just a note. If your trailer has a jack, top it out even if you have it still attached to your hitch. That will make the transition a little less steep. I use to have problems loading my lawn mower because the deck would catch on the hinge. That solved it!
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlebars View Post
    That's why we are here!

Just a note. If your trailer has a jack, top it out even if you have it still attached to your hitch. That will make the transition a little less steep. I use to have problems loading my lawn mower because the deck would catch on the hinge. That solved it!
    Yes. I have the trailer my garage, and I park the Spyder on it. I did jack it up higher. I usually place a 2x4 under the end of the ramp. I was working on the Spyder, installing an RLS cat delete pipe. I forgot the 2x4 wasn't there, and I backed it off, when it happened. I didn't realize how close I was coming to scraping the bottom. (Live and learn) I think I'll add a piece of wood under the jack, as well.

Thank goodness for forums like this. Such a great place to find help. I belonged to one for Gold Wings, and one for my Honda VTX when I had those bikes.
    -Carsong
    2018 F3t

Spyder Garage

FYI....The new reverse actuator support that I ordered finally arrived. I removed the bent one, and installed the new. $25 and change, and everything is working perfectly. Shifts are smooth as butter. While it all worked after bending it back some, shifts were kind of rough. It was definitely worth ordering a new support. Installation was easy. Thanks again, "Rattlebars" and "Troop".
    -Carsong
    2018 F3t

Spyder Garage

Sweet!