Spyder Garage

Default Help with trunk support

Guys
    Need to replace the rear trunk strut on my 2013 RTL, Just got off the phone with the local shop, ouch.
    I know there were some posts which I have searched that had guys using McMastr Carr. When I looked up the part numbers that were on an attached invoice it was a no go, Any help would be appreciated thanks in advance
    Dave
    2013 RT Limited
    Lamonster FBB with larger gripper pegs
    Value Accessories dah mount
    Custom Dynamics High Mount brake light
    BRP passenger arm rests

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I’m using a mechanical type on my 2014 RTS that I purchased from Pierre at CanAm Spyder Accessories. Much easier to install. Didn’t replace the strut. Completely DIY, even for the mechanically challenged.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Another option is to just take the strut to an auto parts store and match it up. If you put two on, you can add a rack at a later date and have now worries. There's enough room to go about 1/2" longer than stock but no more.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

I posted an invoice from when I bought trunk struts and seat struts from McMaster Carr,so I went back to my old post and put those numbers in on the McMaster website and they seem good to me,what was the no go for you?You have to select the opening force which is listed and they come without ends so you have to get the ends but its all on that invoice sheet.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I just purchased the strut, about a month ago, from the link CopperSpyder provided. It is a correct replacement. It has alitte more strength than OEM. Pops right on. Cannot go wrong with it. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by safecracker View Post
    I just purchased the strut, about a month ago, from the link CopperSpyder provided. It is a correct replacement. It has alitte more strength than OEM. Pops right on. Cannot go wrong with it. Bruce
    Safecracker, is this strut strong enough to open the trunk as soon as you pull the latch?
    2018 Spyder RT Limited , Champagne Metalic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbrucie View Post
    I’m using a mechanical type on my 2014 RTS that I purchased from Pierre at CanAm Spyder Accessories. Much easier to install. Didn’t replace the strut. Completely DIY, even for the mechanically challenged.
    I installed Pierre's strut on both our RTs and am pleased with them. Easy installation, mechanical rather than hydraulic, no disassembly required. My only modification was to put small rubber caps on each end of the rod - works just fine!
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Glenngo View Post
    Safecracker, is this strut strong enough to open the trunk as soon as you pull the latch?
    I'm not Safecracker but I'll answer! No strut will pop the lid open when you pull the latch. The reason is the way the linkage is designed. When the lid is closed the connection of the strut to the lid is either at or slightly forward of the centerline between the lid hinge pivot point and the bottom mount of the strut. The strut actually helps to keep the lid closed. Maybe this sketch will help.

Sketch.jpg

Here are a couple of pics of what I did so the lid would pop open some when the latch is pulled. When I close and latch the lid the spring between the catches is pushed upward by the block on the trunk ledge. There's enough force in the spring as it wants to straighten out to lift the lid enough to get my fingers under the edge and lift it when I pull the latch. Until I did this I seriously considered putting a handle on the lid to lift it open. Later, when I added the rack on on top I started using it to lift the lid.

Tunk lid spring.jpg

Trunk lid spring block.jpg

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)