Spyder Garage

Default F3-T Windshield Question

Hello,
    Picking up new 2018 F3-T today. I am concerned about that short stock windshield.
    Dealer says it blows bugs and everything else over your head.
    I have my doubts on that. I have always been a look through the windshield rider.
    I am only 5'6 so I guess it could be true. I would still think there will be major wind buffeting.
    What has been your experince?
    Thanks!

Spyder Garage

google (f4 windshield) and look for video, but your right about the waste of that stock windshield. I have the it just about a my noise, but you can order the size you need. I also have the wing on the side of the f4 and its helps move wind inside on these 90 deg days
    t7IJfkUFQDqowEbV0+mjWA.jpg
    2012 , java

Spyder Garage

I have always been a "tall" windshield person. Just recently purchased a F3L. It has a shorter windshield than I am used to (RT's). I LIKE the short windshield. I think it looks COOL. No problems with wind or bugs in the face.

After 6 months and 6,000 miles...I think I am going to keep it. Originally, I was going to "upgrade" the OEM windshield, but now am glad I did not.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Im 5'11" an i hate the short windshield on the wife's F3L. Got hit by alot of bugs riding it the other day. And the bend in the middle of the windshield, damn how it distorts your vision. Wife is shorter than me an I could hear her saying ouch getting hit by bugs when she had her face shield up. If I was going to be riding it much or maybe I will be nice an buy her an F4 windshield so I can stop hearing her complaining.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by INOURIDER View Post
    Hello,
    Picking up new 2018 F3-T today. I am concerned about that short stock windshield.
    Dealer says it blows bugs and everything else over your head.
    I have my doubts on that. I have always been a look through the windshield rider.
    I am only 5'6 so I guess it could be true. I would still think there will be major wind buffeting.
    What has been your experince?
    Thanks!
    I found that the stock windshield did send the air above my helmet , you will be suprised how well it does I have not had any problem with buffeting with the stock shield. I had the stock shield on for 2 years. I am also 5ft 6in. I have a 2016 F3L. I have replaced the shield with the BRP Tallboy shield , I bought it off of this forum for $110 I couldn't pass up the price. i am happy with this shield it works great with my height.
    Bob

Spyder Garage

Go to www.F4Customs.com
    They have the best windshield

Cruzr joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    Go to www.F4Customs.com
    They have the best windshield

Cruzr joe
    Yep, F4 makes a great screen, Joe, but if the current one that you have already paid for does the trick, why outlay for a new one?

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Yep, F4 makes a great screen, Joe, but if the current one that you have already paid for does the trick, why outlay for a new one?

Pete
    Because he don’t like the one he has

Joe
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-05-2020 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Ok, first ride report. I was impressed how well that short shield works. I just wore a half helmet today but, I think with my full face on it might be ok.
    I didn't feel like I was taking a beating from the wind but, I did get hit by a bug. I think he came in from the side though. I will do a full day ride and see how it goes. That F4 23" does look pretty sweet.
    Thanks for all the input.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by INOURIDER View Post
    Ok, first ride report. I was impressed how well that short shield works. I just wore a half helmet today but, I think with my full face on it might be ok.
    I didn't feel like I was taking a beating from the wind but, I did get hit by a bug. I think he came in from the side though. I will do a full day ride and see how it goes. That F4 23" does look pretty sweet.
    Thanks for all the input.
    The stock shield seems to work better for shorter riders, for me it distorted everything and made me crazy.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

i put the one from lamoster love it .i am 5"6 i have 2019 f3t
    2019 f3t , titanium

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I test rode a 2019 F3-T before I bought my RT. I didn't know about SL back then and didn't know about aftermarket windscreens. I thought that windscreen was horrible. I'm 6'1" and that ride beat me up. I'd maybe consider an F3L in my future but since the 2020 RT is based on the F3 and has better wind protection......yeah, probably not an F3 in my future.

Spyder Garage

I will add that I am a shorter rider. I am 5'5."

Thanks Ann.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I just bought a windshield from F4 this week . I rode with the short windshield all winter with a full helmet , as soon as it got warm I changed to a half helmet and I got pelted with bugs on my face. I bought a 23 inch with a vent from F4.
    I may change back to the short windshield in the fall. (I am 5'6") The air flow is different in the summer verses winter, hot air does not move the same way as cool air . (it is harder to move) The cool air seemed to flow higher with the short windshield, like just above my head (I did not feel any buffering) . But, the warm air was not flowing like as the cool air. I felt like the air was hitting around my face along with the bugs.

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

@ 71 yrs young I need to block as much wind as possible or not ride.

I have fashioned a shield that blocks all of the wind so I ride in complete still air. F4 shield, Slingshot side wings, f4 wings and Moparty top extender.

Full details & links: to see MY SPYDER PAGE

to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Default 100% f-4

The stock wind screen was terrible, for me. I'm 6'4", so I guess we are a bit different in that respect. However, I swear by f-4, and had one on my Gold Wing as well as my F3t. Also, you can get it with a vent, which is a great addition. I also have the side wings, which can block wind, or direct it toward you. The quality is excellent!
    -Carsong
    2018 F3t
    2018 F3T , Position 5/ full size Matt Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlebars View Post
    @ 71 yrs young I need to block as much wind as possible or not ride.

I have fashioned a shield that blocks all of the wind so I ride in complete still air......
    Slighty off topic, I know, (orright, more'n just a bit, but please bear with me?! ) but your comment (in bold) reminded me of the 1942 WLA Harley that I worked on for our local 'Milko' (shows how long ago this was, back in the days when milk was actually delivered to your door!! ) That Harley was just one of 5 he had, the others all newer & easier to ride, but he was getting on a bit & feeling the cold/couldn't kick start that 'bike anymore (bone disease. ) but he did his milk round on that Harley cos it had a large busted up old crate sidecar on it, and he was an ornery old cuss who simply wasn't gonna let anything like a crippling bone disease slow him down So I fixed up a large plexiglass windscreen and an electric starter for him/his bike. The 'still air' riding behind that screen was fantastic, and it felt great to me! He was fairly happy with it all when he test rode it too, but he called around quite disgusted immediately after doing his first milk round on his newly optioned up WLA Harley.... and he was

It turned out that he loved the elec-starter, but he really wanted me to do something about the bloody windscreen Every time he got up above about 30mph on the runs between stops, with the milk churns rattling & clanging together & milk sloshing around on the archaic leaf sprung crate sidecar that was circa WW1 vintage, his bleedin' tie would blow out straight & horizontal in front of him, with just the very tip of it flapping madly in the turbulence in that 'still air' I was so proud of achieving!! I didn't believe him at first, so I followed him on a ride to see what was happening..... and it was the funniest thing I'd ever seen on a motorbike!!

There's this craggy faced old fella, all neat & pristine in his uniform, serious as, cap on his head & sitting up straight like Jackie (as only Ex-Service personnel really do) riding along on this WLA Harley/crate combination with his bloody tie sticking out in front of him horizontally, all of it ramrod straight except for the very last couple of inches on the tip flapping madly in the breeze, just like a starving puppy trying to get all the milk outta the bowl before his brothers beat him to it!! It looked bee-yeww-difully hilarious to me!! But it didn't impress him very much! Said it made him look like a ****

Easy fix tho - I put a line of 4 one inch dia holes across the bottom of the windscreen, just enough to let sufficient airflow thru so that that low pressure behind the screen didn't grab his tie, pull it out horizontal, & the turbulence didn't make the tip flap like that! I was sorta disappointed, but he loved it heaps, and kept on doing his milk round on that Harley for the next 5 or so years until the bone disease made it impossible for him to get on & off. He retired from the milk round then, came to 'work' on our family farm as a 'technical advisor' for all the old gear we had & collected... some of it still in operation, but a lot of stuff we were slowly restoring and putting back to work! He helped us get things working that we hadn't even known what they were beforehand - lasted about 5 more years like that before the bone disease got him, but he kept going right to the very end (nobody was game to try stopping him! ) and while he always swore at me for the 'stiff tie' episiode & made it sound as tho it was the most offensive thing he'd ever had to experience, he used to bring it up waaay more than was ever warranted, and he'd regale people at length on how mad he was about it, but he always said it with a twinkle in his eye & always thanked me for helping keep him out there & riding that old WLA when everyone else wanted to 'send him to that knacker's yard of a hospital, cos that's where you send the old cripples to die!' That old WLA Harley's now in storage at the National Motor Museum, waiting for it's next turn out on the display floor, busted up old crate side-car & milk churns & all, along with a bunch of pics & his story, 'Jack Fuller, the Motorcycle Milko.'

It's not WHAT you Ride, it's THAT you Ride!

But don't forget to leave enough airflow past/around that windscreen to keep your tie down!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Get the F4 25 inch , It stopped the bugs and buffering on my F3 LTD.