Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 2017 RT Ball Joints need replacing - warranty or not?

I have a 2017 RT with 20,000 km on it last fall when I had the oil changed (before putting it away for the winter) I was told the bike needed all ball joints replaced. In the spring I took my bike into see about getting the work done and was told ball joints are not covered under "B E S T" warranty because they are a wear item has anyone had ball joints replaced under warranty? My warranty runs out at the end of July this year.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-04-2020 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Title clarification

Spyder Garage

Never heard of anyone needing ball joints on these before...
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jwulf74 View Post
    Never heard of anyone needing ball joints on these before...
    One ball maybe .... all of them .... I'm getting a bad feeling about that dealer ..... Good luck ..... PS I have over 50,000 miles on my RT and the ball joints are fine .... yes ALL of them ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Get another opinion. I’ve laid hands on thousands of Spyders; maybe 3 have ever needed a ball joint.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

We've had quite a few ball-joint failures over here in Oz - mainly on the F3's and almost always just one of the upper joints at a time?!? Many of the F3's that've had failures have returned with repeat occurrences too; but again, almost always just an upper joint - the other one! Maybe it's the roads over here; or possibly it's the combination of our rough road surfaces, high operating temps making it harder on lightly greased joints, and the more pronounced camber we tend to have more of than what I can recall from over your way...

That said, I can't recall even ONE instance of ALL the ball joints being stuffed at the same time..... well, except for one instance where the front end damage was the direct result of a collision that stuffed the entire front suspension, the frunk, lights, tupperware, & did a fair bit of frame damage too!! IIRC, he got an entire new Spyder from his insurance co - it was significantly cheaper than fixing the broken one!

Still, Stocktoy, IF your problem is actually front end components on both sides at the same time and not just a dodgy dealer (and we all KNOW there are some of them around! ) then I'd probably suspect the inner 'A' arm mounts &/or bushes before thinking that somehow ALL of the ball joints just freakingly carked it at the same time.... Even tho here in Oz, we just as equally KNOW that the ball-joints aren't the greatest pieces of kit on our Spyders as we know there's some dodgy dealers around!!

Over to you - and I hope there's another/better dealer nearby too (says the fella who travels over 600 miles each way to see a dealer who's better than the local mob! )

Good Luck! And welcome to the Forum too!

Ps: if it turns out it IS actually the ball joints, for a bit more cash one of our local reputable techs has sourced some race-spec replacements out of Austria, so the freight to you shouldn't be quite so much as it is to bring them half way around the World to Australia! They are substantially more robust than the OE parts....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-05-2020 at 01:49 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Thanks people for all your replies I had my reservations about this dealer anyway. (not the dealer I bought from, just the closest dealer since I moved)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    One ball maybe .... all of them .... I'm getting a bad feeling about that dealer ..... Good luck ..... PS I have over 50,000 miles on my RT and the ball joints are fine .... yes ALL of them ...... Mike
    I agree. If all of your ball joints are bad. You would be having some serious handling issues. Likely wheel wobble at speed and while braking, at the very least. Though ball joints do go bad, (I've replaced a tie rod end. Not exactly the same thing, but related). All of them at the same time? Maybe, if you have been racing a nasty off road coarse. Otherwise, I just don't see it.

They did get one thing right. Ball joints are a 'Wear Item' and would not be covered under any warranty. S.O.P. on that one.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 06-05-2020 at 09:05 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I replaced one upper ball joint on my 2017 RTL last year at about 20,000km, now the other side is shot at 29,000km. Going to get a laser alignment done soon after.

Spyder Garage

72000 miles no ball joints needed,2015 RTS,2012 RTS 60000 miles no ball joint needed maybe I am lucky

Spyder Garage

Thanks again to all that replied I will have to check the ball joints out myself before I go any further.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stocktoy View Post
    Thanks again to all that replied I will have to check the ball joints out myself before I go any further.
    Excellent idea...

Spyder Garage

So how do i check the ball joints on a 2012 RTL? I have 58,000+ on my Spyder and now this discussion has me wondering?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    So how do i check the ball joints on a 2012 RTL? I have 58,000+ on my Spyder and now this discussion has me wondering?
    Well I'm going to check them first off the same way I would check a car's ball joint, lift up under the lower control arm enough to take the weight off the wheel then try to move the wheel assembly in and out ( in at the top out at the bottom back and forth) by gripping the wheel at the to and bottom of tire then putting a piece of 2x4 on the ground just in front of the wheel and with a bar as a fulcrum lifting again enough to take the weight off the suspension and seeing if the wheel show any vertical movement. If I haven't described it properly sorry

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stocktoy View Post
    Well I'm going to check them first off the same way I would check a car's ball joint, lift up under the lower control arm enough to take the weight off the wheel then try to move the wheel assembly in and out ( in at the top out at the bottom back and forth) by gripping the wheel at the to and bottom of tire then putting a piece of 2x4 on the ground just in front of the wheel and with a bar as a fulcrum lifting again enough to take the weight off the suspension and seeing if the wheel show any vertical movement. If I haven't described it properly sorry
    That's the way to git'er done! Only watch very carefully to make sure any movement is in the ball-joints proper, and not in the frame end bushes where the 'A' arms are bolted onto the frame. Like I mentioned earlier, I've seen more of them being worn/loose than I've seen ball joints being dodgy in anything but the F3's?!

Please tell us what you find.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Good point

Thanks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    That's the way to git'er done! Only watch very carefully to make sure any movement is in the ball-joints proper, and not in the frame end bushes where the 'A' arms are bolted onto the frame. Like I mentioned earlier, I've seen more of them being worn/loose than I've seen ball joints being dodgy in anything but the F3's?!

Please tell us what you find.
    Very true. If you're not lubing your A-Arms (I highly recommend using a good quality, fully synthetic grease) they will wear and give you a lot of grief. I lube mine with every oil change. Probably overkill. But I've had to replace all of them. And that is NO FUN!

Spyder Garage

Two ways to check them, start with the top ones because the lower ones don't suffer wear as badly.
    The correct way: support the Spyder under the lower A-arm and remove the front wheel. Attach a dial test indicator to a fixed position on the suspension upright and place the plunger centrally on the outside of the top A-arm end or ball joint. Push inward and pull outward on the upright, any play in the joint will be shown on the DTI dial. If you remove the fender it's very much easier to gain access.

Now, the crude way: with the Spyder on its wheels and you at the side of the wheel, pull hard back and forth to rock the Spyder sideways. Any play can be heard and felt. It's not so conclusive on the V-twin bikes because inner A-arm bearing play can be felt this way too.

While you're there you might as well check the tie rod ends for play. It's best to have two folks for this. Leave the Spyder on its wheels, get a helper to grip around the tie rod ball joint with one hand. Put a hand front and rear of the wheel and push/pull it as though you're turning the steering. Your helper will feel the play quite easily. For the inner joint your helper has to reach through the suspension to the joint. A bit fiddly but perfectly doable.

A wee note, on the 1330 Spyders on the right side when reaching in to the inner joint there's an electrical connector which can catch on your sleeve and pull slightly apart, your bike will fail to start until you squeeze it back together. Don't ask how I know!
    Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
    Rule#1: Refer to rule #2.

Spyder Garage

When you say lubing the A -Arms what exactly do you mean? Do you install grease fittings? Or do you spray lube on particular places? Thank you in advance.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderwing57 View Post
    When you say lubing the A -Arms what exactly do you mean? Do you install grease fittings? Or do you spray lube on particular places? Thank you in advance.
    The grease fittings are there. 8 of them. 2 upper and 2 lower on each side. They can be a bear to get to. I use a straight slide tip to get to some of them. Others, you may be able to get to with a standard tip. it tends to vary by year and model.

Tip.jpg

Spyder Garage

I think they stop putting zerks on the A arms in 2013 0r 2014. I put right angle zerks on my 2012 which makes them easier to get to.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

If you leave the spyder on the ground and grab the wheel at left hand 10 oclock right hand 3 oclock try pulling the wheel sharply left and right,you will feel a loosness,if you have a buddy get them to do it and you put your hand on the top ball joint A arm area,you will feel movement.
    I find to check the A arm bushes if you put a long breaker bar on the wheel nut and try to tighten them in little sharp movements you will see the arm shift .while the wheels on the ground so the arm is in the rest or normal wear position.
    Over here in oz it seems to be the left top joint that fails and ive noticed the tripples suffer more than twins.is it the extra weight.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had some wandering issues with my 2017 RTL that was diagnosed to a few things, one of which was a ball joint. The dealership had it for 30 days before they found it. They replaced it under warranty, but that's Australia, it seems the US warranty system is a little different over there.
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Traded 2016 with 20,000 miles in a couple weeks ago and dealer said he’d have to replace ball joints before he sold it. I thought he might just be beating me up on trade in price. I went out and put my hand on the upper and could feel some slip when I shook the wheel back and forth. I went to a 2020 and did the same thing and it was good and tight. So I guess (and hope) that they needed replaced. I’d love to stop back in before they sell it and check.

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The service manual should have tolerances for vertical and horizontal movement on the ball joints. I would be inclined to research that, go back to the dealer and ask him to show you how he measured an out of tolerance ball joint. If it cannot be substantiated then file a complaint with your province's bureau of automotive repair.

https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/Oca-bc...a02965.html#s1
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Spyder Garage

Last year my dealer (whom I DO trust) told me I had a warn ball joint ( I believe it was an upper ) I had him do them all as if one was going, they should all be going. It was not under warranty.

2017 RT-S

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    3 PC Mesh Zippered Lid Net Set - TricLED
    A arm LED's - Safety LED's - TricLED
    Mirror Sequential turn signals
    Glo-riders
    LED rear turn signals and reverse lights
    Front Grills