Spyder Garage

Default Has There been a FIX for the 15/16 F3 Front Sprocket?

Starting to look at used ones and beginning to think I should exclude the '15 & '16 due to sprocket issues. Has there been a fix by BRP or aftermarket vendors? I'm not into mechanics and not looking for problems.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-04-2020 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Title - Been not Feen! ;-)
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

what was the problem??

Spyder Garage

Here is one example; there are others.https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-belt-sprocket

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    Starting to look at used ones and beginning to think I should exclude the '15 & '16 due to sprocket issues. Has there been a fix by BRP or aftermarket vendors? I'm not into mechanics and not looking for problems.
    I have not heard of a fix, as BRP hasn't really confessed that there is a problem. I check mine about every 4-6 months, and before long rides. Most manufacturers will not own up to an issue unless there is a danger to the operator, and then they will do a recall. As of now, it is just a random event that occurs and they seem to fix it when it happens. Now I am not sure what they are doing once a bike is not under warranty anymore. That is the question that I would like for someone to comment on.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Its not limited to 2015 and 16 F3. Its a problem with ALL 1330 equipped Spyders. They ALL are using the same sprocket part, even the brand new 2020RT is using the same part. BRP has not acknowledged this is a defect nor have they really fixed it other than lubricating the splines on sprocket install now.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    I have not heard of a fix, as BRP hasn't really confessed that there is a problem. I check mine about every 4-6 months, and before long rides. Most manufacturers will not own up to an issue unless there is a danger to the operator, and then they will do a recall. As of now, it is just a random event that occurs and they seem to fix it when it happens. Now I am not sure what they are doing once a bike is not under warranty anymore. That is the question that I would like for someone to comment on.
    Can Am said they fixed problem by using a diferent metal what ever that means. Rust dust stll indicates sprocket metal is same now as before. Strange sprocets still creating rust dust in 2020 F3 & RT's. My 2016 F3 sprocket splines were completely "rusted' away, gone. I just barley made it to dealership befor sprocket splines stripped. Back then there was quite a bit of talk by experienced Spyder technicians, mechanics and engineers opined problem was a simple design problem. Spcket and drive shaft mating surfaces were too small and sprockret bolt was also too small. There were sugestions to increase size of mating surfaces and a larger sprocket bolt. I'm a mecanicl engineer and that made good sence to me. Drive shaft Splines have been used in many vehicles and and lasted 100's of thousands driven miles without failure.
    2018 RT Limited Spyder , Garmin Zumo GPS, Battery tender wire harness Show Chrome brake pedal extender Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

BRP has never admitted to this being a problem so no fix. There are too many reports of front drive sprocket failure mostly F3 & RT spyders 2014 - 2021. My 2016 F3 sprocket failed at 8K miles. As an engineer I have give much thought to how this on going problem can easily be corrected two ways: one expensive but IMO an end to all future problems. Second fix less expensive may again only be temporary but drive sprockets should last much longer, no rust dust.

1. Go to a tapered spline drive shaft and belt drive sprocket with chrome hardened spline and larger bolt.

2. A front belt drive sprocket with chrome hardened spline. No more rust and much longer reliable life. Current drive sprocket spline softer metal designed to wear out before drive shaft spline and easier to replace than a more expensive drive shaft replacement.
    2018 RT Limited Spyder , Garmin Zumo GPS, Battery tender wire harness Show Chrome brake pedal extender Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

After reading about so many failures, I ordered some "assembly paste" just in case. Next time I go to dealer I will get/order a bolt. Looked at the sprocket the other day and it showed no rust at all. I didn't put the torque wrench on it, thinking that to do so would break the original loktite.

Am wondering though, should I replace the bolt since the torque value has been increased from 80 to 110?

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

After reading about so many failures, I ordered some "assembly paste" just in case. Next time I go to dealer I will get/order a bolt. Looked at the sprocket the other day and it showed no rust at all. I didn't put the torque wrench on it, thinking that to do so would break the original loktite.

Am wondering though, should I replace the bolt since the torque value has been increased from 80 to 110?
    I check my sprocket every 2-3 months, or before any longer trips. I also have it checked by the dealership when taking it in for service (oil change). So far, I have right at 23k miles and no rust. The way I see it, if it ain't broken, I ain't messing with it. But that is just me.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white