Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default What the clunk - is it normal for the Ryker to clunk when starting from stop?

Don't you all just love new owners and the 101 questions they have. Starting the ball rolling with 001:

Is it normal for the Ryker to make a clunking noise when starting from a stopped position, for example at a stop light, or when going from forward to reverse?
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Yes, slack in the drive train due to shaft drive. With the CVT there is no tension on the drive train until rpm reaches 1800. When that happens the slack suddenly engages the rest of the drive train with a clunk. With some practice you will be able to feather the throttle, take up the slack, and ride away without the clunk. Or ==== give her hell, break the rear end loose, and giggle hysterically while the rear tire squeals so loud you cant hear the clunk.

Its normal. And yes, we love new owners; we were all one .
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    Don't you all just love new owners and the 101 questions they have. Starting the ball rolling with 001:

Is it normal for the Ryker to make a clunking noise when starting from a stopped position, for example at a stop light, or when going from forward to reverse?
    Greg, I remember when you were asking the same questions .....just like I was back in the beginning .... I have more respect for those who ASK before they get into serious trouble ..... than the ones who wait and complain after things go south ..... ride safe - ride happy ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Greg, I remember when you were asking the same questions .....just like I was back in the beginning .... I have more respect for those who ASK before they get into serious trouble ..... than the ones who wait and complain after things go south ..... ride safe - ride happy ..... Mike
    Someone once told me the difference between a professional and an armature was a professional knows when to stop.

Good night Mike.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

i see your "starting off from stop clunk" and up you one.

is it normal for the cvt to "down shift" when off the gas and decelerating? if i am doing 35 and coast. i slow down with engine braking and the bike feels like it slips for a split second and the cvt down shifts to a lower ratio with a clunk. i have had it "downshift" about 5 or 6 times already from 40 to 5 mph

noobily yours, Dave

Spyder Garage

Someone once told me the difference between a professional and an armature was a professional knows when to stop.
    Not necessarily. I had a machine repair biz for over 4 decades and witnessed the work of "professionals." I saw a lot of ham fisted work that took way too long and cost way too much. And I had to undo it. Professional ONLY MEANS they charge for what they do. Nothing more.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

It appears that no one responded to Ddorand on something that I experienced today:
    Going down a fairly steep downhill today with the throttle closed fully, kept doing what I would call an inexperienced driver changing down gears, a jolt and a clonking noise.
    Really annoying as it continued till we came to the bottom of the hill. Seems that happens when you have a situation that the engine should be braking the bike on downhill.
    Anyone else experience this, will some miles help reduce that? New 2020 Ryker Rally.

Spyder Garage

i have almost 2k miles on mine and it still does it when ever i slow down to stop. i have made a video and the people that watched said it was normal

Dave

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ddorand View Post
    i have almost 2k miles on mine and it still does it when ever i slow down to stop. i have made a video and the people that watched said it was normal

Dave
    I assume we must call it "The nature of the Beast". it seems this beast is a pretty noisy one.

Spyder Garage

getting the upgraded sway bar put on this week. when i dropped it off i talked to the tech about the "down shifting". they are going to look into it and see if anything is going on. it might be normal, but it also may be a sticking weight or some other mechanism malfunction. i will keep this thread posted on what they say.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Not necessarily. I had a machine repair biz for over 4 decades and witnessed the work of "professionals." I saw a lot of ham fisted work that took way too long and cost way too much. And I had to undo it. Professional ONLY MEANS they charge for what they do. Nothing more.
    A 'Professional' is simply someone who gets paid. Doesn't necessarily guarantee quality work. Doesn't matter what profession or area you are talking about. It always worries me when someone feels the need to tell me how good they are. If I can't figure that out on my own. No amount of sales pitch is going to sway me.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

alrighty, took my ryker to the dealer to have the swaybar installed. (used brp credit from panels toward part and labor)

they called me today, they were able to replicate it and the service manger used the word harsh to describe the downshifts. he reached out to brp dealer community and the dealers that had seen this problems say bad transmission.
    so my dealer has a claim in for a replacement for me. bike is 2 months old 1400 miles and it has done this from day 1

Dave

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ddorand View Post
    alrighty, took my ryker to the dealer to have the swaybar installed. (used brp credit from panels toward part and labor)

they called me today, they were able to replicate it and the service manger used the word harsh to describe the downshifts. he reached out to brp dealer community and the dealers that had seen this problems say bad transmission.
    so my dealer has a claim in for a replacement for me. bike is 2 months old 1400 miles and it has done this from day 1

Dave
    Wow, please let us know when you get the bike back if it is taken care of and what the exact issue was. I know you started another threat purely for this issue. If you will not mind I am going to post your quote there also.

Spyder Garage

We will be going on an eight hundred mile trip shortly on the Canam and there was no way I would depart on the bike without knowing what exactly was happening and if a failure was imminent. Obviously it is not q question of any gear change being involved the Ryker has a CVT no gear changes involved.
    The situation happens on over run, i.e going down hills with throttle closed and occasionally comping to an abrupt stop.
    I took the CVT cover off and took a video of what is happening.
    I am not an expert in CVT but the logical conclusion is that either some bikes were shipped with a faulty driven pulley spring or may even be that the specifications are out of line.
    What happens is the the sheaves on the driven pulley (the larger one) open and there is a delay in the drive pulley taking up the slack of the belt so you get the jolt and the clunk as the belt gets slightly loose and then the slack is taken up. Watch the video and keep an eye on the belt on the upper pulley and see what happens when the now familiar sound is heard.
    I am hoping that in our upcoming journey we will not have too many steep downhill situations requiring closed throttle decent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLu9LA15oBs

And finally no, it is not OK the bike should not behave that way.

Spyder Garage

My 2020 Ryker only makes the standard clunk when first taking off and engaging. It doesn't make any noise when letting off the throttle or slowing down. After seeing your video, its definitely not right. I'm glad we dont have any hills here in Florida. It would be interesting if Can Am saw that video, I wonder what their response would be.
    2020 Can Am Ryker Rally Sport Touring Edition

Spyder Garage

RykerRick, be assured they will see it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by aregg View Post
    We will be going on an eight hundred mile trip shortly on the Canam and there was no way I would depart on the bike without knowing what exactly was happening and if a failure was imminent. Obviously it is not q question of any gear change being involved the Ryker has a CVT no gear changes involved.
    The situation happens on over run, i.e going down hills with throttle closed and occasionally comping to an abrupt stop.
    I took the CVT cover off and took a video of what is happening.
    I am not an expert in CVT but the logical conclusion is that either some bikes were shipped with a faulty driven pulley spring or may even be that the specifications are out of line.
    What happens is the the sheaves on the driven pulley (the larger one) open and there is a delay in the drive pulley taking up the slack of the belt so you get the jolt and the clunk as the belt gets slightly loose and then the slack is taken up. Watch the video and keep an eye on the belt on the upper pulley and see what happens when the now familiar sound is heard.
    I am hoping that in our upcoming journey we will not have too many steep downhill situations requiring closed throttle decent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLu9LA15oBs

And finally no, it is not OK the bike should not behave that way.
    Something is definitely up there. I am not extremely familiar with the CVT. But there are a number of moving parts, of course. I'd say the centrifugal weights that control pulley diameter are hanging up. It seems to happen near the same RPM all the time. Instead of a smooth transition, as designed, the pulley hangs up until a lower RPM is reached where the springs overcome the friction point. This is when you get a sudden change in pulley diameter, giving you the 'Clunk', which is not how the CVT is supposed to work. With only 1 pulley changing size, the belt gets loose (as in a neutral configuration) until the other pulley suddenly makes the proper adjustment.

I would expect BRP to make the necessary repairs without issue. It may require nothing more than some component changes. Hopefully, they can get this done quickly. I would suspect an out of spec. or machining quality problem.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 08-29-2020 at 11:40 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

BajaRon, I am going to do another run keeping my eye on the engine rpm and see. If it happens at a given rpm constantly it would perhaps make sense to assume it is the driver pulley.

Spyder Garage

Alright, I got an update

Brp is now acknowledging that this is an official issue now. My can am service manager called me yesterday with an update.
    The brp engineers are studying the transmissions that they have changed. There is an issue with the design like you said.
    They want me to wait until they figure it out as the issue isn’t guaranteed to be resolved by a trans change.
    They said that the current statistic is a 50% resolution rate from swapping them. 5 of every 10 do it still.

There is no harm being done to anything on the bike by having this happen and it rides perfectly fine. So I am not worried about it just yet

Dave

Spyder Garage

The CVT does not change down gears, there is no braking system involved there is an issue that Ddorand stated above. Here is my final video. I cuss myself for trying to save some money and not buying a Spyder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6zYHl7PrL4

Spyder Garage

I have not had this kind of issue, after 9, 700 mi. It should be taken care of.

Spyder Garage

Ive been around CVT clutches since the late 60's. That is not normal. Now i have seen the belt get slack on deceleration. It sounds like the weights/ramps in the drive clutch are sticking. Hope they find the cause.
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Has anyone else had this issue and was lucky enough to have had it corrected? I am getting extremely upset over the whole damn issue.

One dealer I talked to said it is normal and nature of the beast, which is the common bull**** excuse given.

To another I sent a video, but was confronted with "Didn't have the time to watch you need to bring it in."

Worst P.O.S. I have ever owned.

Spyder Garage

Looking at purching a Rally. Been looking at the 2020 and the 2021. Was wondering if they fixed the clunk on the 2021 ? $1000 rebate on the 2020 but I dont want to have problems related to this clunking issue.

Spyder Garage

They all do the clunk. For some reason on mine it hardly does it if you start out in Rally mode.
    2020 Can Am Ryker Rally Sport Touring Edition