Spyder Garage

Default Uh-oh look what followed me home today

My wife said I could keep it as long as I cleaned up after it...

20200603_095938.jpg

New to me, 2019 Can Am Ryker, 900 ACE. 680 miles, windshield, passenger seat/backrest and after market mirrors.

Pretty windy on the 60 mile interstate ride home, but the bike handeled it just fine. Better then I did....

Gas gauge seems a little wonky though. It was showing full bars when I left the dealer, but a number on the display that I later learned was miles to empty showed 90. By the time i got home the number was reading twenty something and a low fuel warning lite was on.

I refueled and it took 4.8 gallons and the 90 changed to read 119. Does that seem right or am I maybe reading the display wrong? Anyway it was fun.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

I actually had several more photos, but I don't know how to upload more then 1 photo at a time.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

On the new Ryker!! Look at that, Nice!! Live to Ride, Ride to Live
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Congratulations on your new ryde! Looks pretty nice in the pic..... But I do feel I hafta ask, what the bleedin'eck is it doing inside?? I thought that like most new owners you'd be out ryding at all hours for at least the next couple of weeks?!?

Still'n all, glad you're enjoying it, looks good! Have fun, & Welcome to the Miles of Smiles on your new Ryker!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Congrats!
    Yes, the gas gauge is strange. I usually just go by the "miles to empty" reading.

btw, have you stopped smiling yet? Riding a Ryker tends to make you smile a lot.

Spyder Garage

Awesome Ryde sir. Well done.

Spyder Garage

Remember to take him to the vet and get the shots up to date.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Congratulations on your new ryde! Looks pretty nice in the pic..... But I do feel I hafta ask, what the bleedin'eck is it doing inside?? I thought that like most new owners you'd be out ryding at all hours for at least the next couple of weeks?!?

Still'n all, glad you're enjoying it, looks good! Have fun, & Welcome to the Miles of Smiles on your new Ryker!
    Those were taken inside the dealer while I waited for him to roll it out for my test ride. It's home now, tucked safely between my truck and the wife's car.
    Greg Kamer

USAF, 20 years, retired

Spyder Garage

Gratz on your new ryde! It will for sure bring you a lot of awesome experiences!
    Regarding the fuel guage, that is "normal". The bars start moving once you are about half way empty. Personally I just reset the trip-meter each time I fuel up(just one click on the top button at the guage cluster, very convenient), even when driving quite… uhm… enthustiasticly, I get at least 200km Before its time to fuel up.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Greven View Post
    Personally I just reset the trip-meter each time I fuel up(just one click on the top button at the guage cluster, very convenient), even when driving quite… uhm… enthustiasticly, I get at least 200km Before its time to fuel up.
    We used to have to do that on my wife's car after every fill up because the fuel sending unit in the fuel pump was toast. Did that for a few years, never ran out of gas, until one day we put some bad gas from some hoakey gas station in Georgia. Got about a hundred miles down the road and the fuel filter plugged up. Got it towed to a garage and they ended up having to replace the fuel pump too because it was mired in gunk. Surprise, the fuel gauge started working again.
    Greg Kamer

USAF, 20 years, retired

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Congrats!

On my 2020:

A. Fuel gauge does not register consumption until about 85 miles / 2.5 gallons used from full tank.
    B. After ~85 miles, gauge is somewhat proportional.
    C. Miles to empty does not recompute after filling.
    D. Miles to empty recomputes after about 25 miles / 0.75 gallon consumed and then is close to accurate.
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Spyder Garage

RE: fuel gauge: Fill it up to the top, zero the trip meter (if it has one), and keep track as to how many miles you get between fill ups. I would use visual markers for fill level. That way you will be filling to the same level each time. Makes the mpg calculation a little more true.

The initial mileage should improve (if you can keep your hands gentle on the throttle).

After a couple thousand miles, your "true" ballpark mileage will show up.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SportsterDoc View Post
    Congrats!

On my 2020:

A. Fuel gauge does not register consumption until about 85 miles / 2.5 gallons used from full tank.
    B. After ~85 miles, gauge is somewhat proportional.
    C. Miles to empty does not recompute after filling.
    D. Miles to empty recomputes after about 25 miles / 0.75 gallon consumed and then is close to accurate.
    Thanks Doc, good information to know. Appreciate it.
    Greg Kamer

USAF, 20 years, retired

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post

RE: fuel gauge: Fill it up to the top, zero the trip meter (if it has one), and keep track as to how many miles you get between fill ups. I would use visual markers for fill level. That way you will be filling to the same level each time. Makes the mpg calculation a little more true.

The initial mileage should improve (if you can keep your hands gentle on the throttle).

After a couple thousand miles, your "true" ballpark mileage will show up.
    I usually fill my truck until the pump automatically shuts off, then pull the nozzle out. Unfortunately, this time around, when I filled the Ryker, I noted the price/gallons but spaced out the mileage, so I'll have to wait until next good around.
    Greg Kamer

USAF, 20 years, retired

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

on your Ryker--ENJOY. Dale

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    I usually fill my truck until the pump automatically shuts off, then pull the nozzle out. Unfortunately, this time around, when I filled the Ryker, I noted the price/gallons but spaced out the mileage, so I'll have to wait until next good around.
    In most cases the auto shutoff leaves space for about 1.6 gallons in the non-Ryker fuel tanks. I always fill to just below the opening, let it settle, repeat one more time, and done.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Congrats on your Ryker purchase Kamer! So you bought a slightly used steed. Good going, letting the first owner taking the <$$$> hit. A lot of the questions you have will be answered in the owners manual. Was one provided for you at the time of the sale? If not the dealer you purchased from should be able to get a copy if the original was lost. I suggest reading it from cover to cover. All good information in there pertains to the care and feeding of your new baby=:-)

In regards to letting SWMBO onto the pillion- mine (wifey) was fine riding around it on our farm but the first and only time she rode on the road (pillion)was at night & when she got off she informed me that was her last ride on it. Helen was close to throwing up after that ride, and mind you, we only rode a secondary road no faster than 45 MPH & for about 6 miles in total. Her main gripe was how little there is to hold onto, that and add the fact she's susceptible to sea sickness, which she claimed she was close to throwing up after getting off. Anyways, I hope your SO has a better experience on your Ryker than mine did
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

I did get the owners manual with it. I seriously doubt my SO will want to ride 2 up, so I'll be soloing
    Greg Kamer

USAF, 20 years, retired