Spyder Garage

Default About to Pull the Trigger.......

Hi everyone,

New to this forum as a prospective buyer. I've seen the question I'm about to post here, on other MC forums that I've belonged to over the years. After you've seen the question a hundred times you roll your eyes a bit, but please bear with me.

I'm looking at a low mileage 2018 F3 Limited and am close to pulling the trigger with the dealer.

Based on your experience with this machine, more from a reliability standpoint than whether or not it's fun to ride, would you recommend that I go for it? Thanks for your answers, even if you do an eye roll before you start typing.
    2019 Can Am F3 Limited

Spyder Upgrades/mods:
    F4 Windscreen,
    Ultimate seat and Driver's backrest,
    Lamonster Fog lights,
    Lamonster Brake Rod kit,
    CanAm Short Reach Handlebar

Other Current Bike: 2009 Honda Shadow 750 Aero

Past Bikes:
    2018 BMW C650CT
    2013 BMW C650GT
    2011 Honda SH150i
    2019 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue Metallic

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scorpion56 View Post
    Hi everyone,

New to this forum as a prospective buyer. I've see the question I'm about to post here, on other MC forums that I've belonged to over the years. After you've seen the question a hundred times you roll your eyes a bit, but please bear with me.

I'm looking at a low mileage 2018 F3 Limited and am close to pulling the trigger with the dealer.

Based on your experience with this machine, more from a reliability standpoint than whether or not it's fun to ride, would you recommend that I go for it? Thanks for your answers, even if you do an eye roll before you start typing.
    Don't have an F3 LImited, but from a reliability standpoint, I believe many here have had good luck. The only nagging issues (from what I've read) are pretty minor. IOW, I haven't heard of any issues that were serious enough to spend high dollars to fix.

If I were you, I'd ask for an extended test ride and decide whether or not you truly want this model. Some find the RT more comfortable, and worth the added price.

Anyway, good luck in your decision and let it be known that I typed this response without any eyeroll, LOL.
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wouldn't worry about reliability. They are as reliable as anything else in my opinion.

If it really bothers you buy an extended BEST warranty. You can purchase it anytime until the 1 yr standard warranty runs out (don't have to buy it now) and it only costs like $700 for 36 months (that would be 48 months of coverage total) so its reasonable. Better yet, tell the dealer reliability is the main reason your unsure and maybe they would throw additional warranty coverage in with the sale or at a reduced price?

Spyder Garage

Test drive both an RT and an F3 to see which one appeals to you most.

We have one of each and both are a bit different.

The big picture: RT rides like a Gold Wing "couch." F3 is more like a Cruiser. You sit ON the RT and IN the F3.

Both powered by the same engine. Reliability issues...no issues that you have to be warned about. Been driving Spyders since 08 and have NEVER had a major issue.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

A lot of good advice above! If the F3 is what you like then go for it. If it is the one. The F3L is a good Machine. Its like putting on a pair of shoes; what do you feel comfortable in or on?
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

FWIW, I was impressed with a test ride of a 2016 F3 Ltd but did find that because of my long legs, part of the Tupperware hit the inside of my knees, right in the middle of the joints. That would have been a no-go were I set on buying one.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Have an 18 F3L
    Only 1000 miles bought in Nov last year . So far loving it

Spyder Garage

What is the status of the warranty? Normally they come new with a 2 year BEST warranty but you can extend that up to 5 years total but you need to purchase it before the standard warranty expires.

Also, some of the F3's have had an issue with the front sprocket (on the gearbox) grenading; be sure to check it or have the dealer check it for red rust forming on the sprocket.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited