Spyder Garage

Default New 2020 RTL GPS Issue

Ok, we love our first Spyder RT, have had it a week and even though I work long hours during the week, we’ve managed to put a few hundred miles on her so far.

Here is our problem. We got the GPS installed as part of the deal the 590 model. However, I can’t get it to charge on the cradle of the bike, nor will it play over the radio or speakers. When I turn the volume up on the GPS, it won’t g up and says instead it “must be connected to a headset, or a cradle“...while it is secured in the cradle and power on etc, I even cleaned the connectors.

The system has never worked. Before I address with the dealer on first break in oil change, am I missing something? Anybody else with a 2020 RTL have the same issue? I called Garmin, they simply said have the dealer try another GPS on the bike?? I doubt they have many lying around the shop.

Any ideas welcome, I’m just not going to pull or check wiring, but will provide any technical checks to the dealer when I take her back for the first service.

Spyder Garage

Unless you want to go berserk with a multi-meter testing the wiring & pinout polarity & connections, you've really got no choice but to try another 'known working' GPS on that cradle before you have any real idea of which end the problem may be....

There have been some local reports of dirty connections & incorrect polarity on GPS cradles/wiring, particularly with the 2018 & newer models, so it's not impossible for it to be either of those but there've also been a few (mainly but not exclusively older) GPS units where the connectors on the back of the GPS simply became a little 'pressed in' thru sitting in the cradle over time, until eventually they no longer made connection with the pins when mounted in the cradle, and they gave that same 'must be connected' msg that you're reporting!

Good Luck!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

the 2020 RTL has no direct input of the audio instructions for the GPS. The cradle provides power only.
    You need to bluetooth pair the GPS to a bluetooth headset to hear the instructions.
    Alternately, Lamonster Garage sells a bluetooth dongle that you can use to connect your GPS to the stereo system, but you have to do it as the AUX input. This means that you lose any control over the music using your bike controls.
    It is possible to use the GPS as a music source, and use the GPS as a means of controlling the music.

The charging issue is because the wires are backwards. The + and - wires are reversed.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Same thing happened to our friend and I found a thread here about the issue and sure enough the wires were crossed on the GPS hook up. It was a quick fix.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

The self proclaimed “certified tech” at my Dealer installed the mount and cradle, when I got the bike home, I realized there was no power to the cradle. So obviously the Tech never checked it. I reversed the polarity and it now works fine.. The Dealer attitude is get you in and get you out, they could care less !!!!!!!

Spyder Garage

You need to find another dealership. For peace of mind when your Spyder may be out of sight, consider a Kradellock by Robert Becker Design, https://robertbeckerdesign.com/shop. I leave my 590 on the bike all the time except in motel parking lots overnight when touring. Installation is a five minute job. FWIW, I replaced the included longer mounting Phillips head screws with stainless hex head bolts just because I thought they looked better.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Breedog View Post
    Ok, we love our first Spyder RT, have had it a week and even though I work long hours during the week, we’ve managed to put a few hundred miles on her so far.

Here is our problem. We got the GPS installed as part of the deal the 590 model. However, I can’t get it to charge on the cradle of the bike, nor will it play over the radio or speakers. When I turn the volume up on the GPS, it won’t g up and says instead it “must be connected to a headset, or a cradle“...while it is secured in the cradle and power on etc, I even cleaned the connectors.

The system has never worked. Before I address with the dealer on first break in oil change, am I missing something? Anybody else with a 2020 RTL have the same issue? I called Garmin, they simply said have the dealer try another GPS on the bike?? I doubt they have many lying around the shop.

Any ideas welcome, I’m just not going to pull or check wiring, but will provide any technical checks to the dealer when I take her back for the first service.
    You know there is no "break in" oil right. The first oil change per the manual is 3000 miles.
    There's a lot of dealers still telling people the first service is 600 miles. This not true.

Spyder Garage

When you put the GPS in the cradle is it turned off? Also it will not give direction thru the Rt speakers.
    I got a small blue tooth speaker that works very well.
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black

Spyder Garage

Yes it is off when I place it there. I appreciated all the info, I’ll keep you all posted.

Thanks,

Spyder Garage

I know it said something about giving the ride a once over check, not an oil change, right? But I’ll usually have it changed before the winter prep each season anyways..

Spyder Garage

I simply bypassed buying a GPS and I use Genius maps, I paid for the app and software, it works offline with your smartphone, and it even works on my F150 with Synch.