Spyder Garage

Default Ryker handle bars loose/knocking

Does anyone have the issue with loose knocking handle bars when you pull up and down on them? I know there was a spacer missed on 2019 models and it was installed on my 900 ACE but it still knocks up and down. Seems it should be tighter?

thanks Brent.

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Is the adjusting clamp snug?
    If not, the slotted screw turns CCW for more clamping pressure.
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Spyder Garage

If there is looseness when you move the bars side to side (bars move without tires moving) there is a problem. The up and down motion of the bars relative to the steering linkage (although annoying) is normal; at least on mine.
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tslepebull View Post
    If there is looseness when you move the bars side to side (bars move without tires moving) there is a problem. The up and down motion of the bars relative to the steering linkage (although annoying) is normal; at least on mine.
    Up and down motion can be fixed...
    Remove Black plug #130, best with screwdriver and small needle nose pliers to get it completely out of stem channel.
    Back out #702 bolt with a 13mm socket
    This is suppose to be a FLANGED bolt, look closely at picture, (washer/bolt one piece) mine's not (2019 Rally) it has a separate washer. If yours is missing, the bolt may be bottoming out. I never did measure the washer but it's probably 2mm thick. (Trip to ACE?) If it's there, adding another washer I don't think would hurt. That's up to you.
    Torque to 18 ft/lbs while reassembling.
    Screen shot is from https://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemp...rts?dropdown=t
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone. I have had the entire bike apart now. Clam shelled the works. broken parking brake assembly so i couldnt install the lock. Requires the bike to be split apart air box removed and then install parking brake assembly. Also fixed the leaking radiator reservoir/low oil level in gear box/ tire pressures wrong/still have the handle bars issue going to put another washer and see if that helps. The bars are not aligned correctly anyway so i will fix that as well. put a few clicks in the rear shock to preload it some more for my weight 220lbs. Helped alot! Good thing i am mechanically inclined or this bike would be at the dealer most of the time. There was definitely some issues in the 2019's that could have been addressed better by the dealers. I also had the wheels nuts replaced and then i personally rechecked them to proper torque specs. Also had to make adjustments to handle bar wiring as they were not run correctly and wouldnt allow bars to be pulled back all the way.

thanks again.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bski6875 View Post
    Thanks everyone. I have had the entire bike apart now. Clam shelled the works. broken parking brake assembly so i couldnt install the lock. Requires the bike to be split apart air box removed and then install parking brake assembly. Also fixed the leaking radiator reservoir/low oil level in gear box/ tire pressures wrong/still have the handle bars issue going to put another washer and see if that helps. The bars are not aligned correctly anyway so i will fix that as well. put a few clicks in the rear shock to preload it some more for my weight 220lbs. Helped alot! Good thing i am mechanically inclined or this bike would be at the dealer most of the time. There was definitely some issues in the 2019's that could have been addressed better by the dealers. I also had the wheels nuts replaced and then i personally rechecked them to proper torque specs. Also had to make adjustments to handle bar wiring as they were not run correctly and wouldnt allow bars to be pulled back all the way.

thanks again.
    I hope you know the 2019 manual is WRONG for checking oil level in gear box. As facing the gear box it's on right side (towards rear wheel) and marked as Oil Level.

Spyder Garage

Yes and they had that wrong as well. it obvious that the oil level would be half-way up the output shaft to the rear wheel. That is typical of (bath-splash style) oiling systems. To fill it to bottom of fill plug would be way too full. The knocking in my handle bars continues no matter how many shims i stick under 13mm bolt. The entire assembly moves up and down not just he steering shaft. I looked at 2020's on showroom floor and all of them did it. Pretty sad quality. I would suggest some future engineering is in order. I am a mechanical engineer and i can tell you that would never leave my hands until it was right but apparently the world is not working like that anymore. Now they let the customers beta test and at some point they make changes. Great concept, love it but it should have had a bit more testing and refinement. I would have paid a few dollars more for the effort.

If anyone has a bike that doesnt knock when you pull up and down on centre of steering/handle bars i would love to know how it was fixed.

thank you.

Brent

Spyder Garage

I just checked the handlebars on my 2 new 2019 Rykers Rallys. One is loose with up/down movement, and the other is not.

Spyder Garage

I recently bought a 2020 can am ryker rally does the same thing. When pulling the handle bar it moves up and down, it knock's if I hit hard bumps.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by platinum1 View Post
    I recently bought a 2020 can am ryker rally does the same thing. When pulling the handle bar it moves up and down, it knock's if I hit hard bumps.
    Read post #4