Spyder Garage

Default Jumped started my Spyder GS and caught something on fire!

So I went to jump start the 08 Spyder GS ES5 I just got and saw smoke and flames...

Apparently that pull out tab was not for the positive battery connection. I have no idea what it's for. Please see the pic.
    It's red and said pull. So I thought It was for the positive cable to jump start it. Apparently I was wrong. I need to replace it since it broke.

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

If it's the pull out tab I think it is it's for releasing the optional rear bag mounting plate.

Since it looks like you bought a used Spyder, if you haven't already you really should download the manual: http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/O...008/001647.pdf
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Spyder Garage

Thanks! It’s some kind of pull cable. Was curious if it was really important. That repair can wait a little.

Just bought a new battery and it started right up! That sucker is FAST!!! Faster than my 1100cc Shadow (2002)!

Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainScoundrel View Post
    So I went to jump start the 08 Spyder GS ES5 I just got and saw smoke and flames...

Apparently that pull out tab was not for the positive battery connection. I have no idea what it's for. Please see the pic.
    It's red and said pull. So I thought It was for the positive cable to jump start it. Apparently I was wrong. I need to replace it since it broke.

Thanks!

Well, That's a first.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

As a fellow new owner of an 08 GS, that is a release foe the optional extra Passenger Backrest and or Too Box mounting plate - pull it like a bonnet (hood) release and lift plate/ backrest off! If you do neex to jump, a little below is a red rubber cover over a lead to the starter relay/ solenoid whih (I understand?) can be used for a + lead....

Spyder Garage

Sorry for the bad grammar guy's - new phone, small screen, glasses and auto correct Grrrr

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dickim View Post
    As a fellow new owner of an 08 GS, that is a release foe the optional extra Passenger Backrest and or Too Box mounting plate - pull it like a bonnet (hood) release and lift plate/ backrest off! If you do neex to jump, a little below is a red rubber cover over a lead to the starter relay/ solenoid whih (I understand?) can be used for a + lead....
    I tried my dealer and he can't even find the cable in their system and no luck online. Looks like I may have to buy a new sport trunk. Luckily, I've seen some for around $130-$150. Still expensive. But better than the $400+ I've also seen.
    Got a 2008 Spyder GS SM5

Spyder Garage

If this is what your bike looks like now, I am afraid that the pull out tab is connected to nothing. It looks like the previous owner had either a backrest or a sports rack and removed it without removing all of the components. if you remove the rear left panel and the back panel guard (big black panel right above the rear tire) to can see if there is actually a cable running from the pull out tab. If there is then this check to see if cable has a grey piece of metal at the end. If all is well then this will cut down installation of your new back rest or sports rack significantly.

Keep in mind the pull out tab only works with the old adjustable backrest and not the newer stationary one.