Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default ATGATT on Spyder = PTGATT?

One of the things I like best about owning the Spyder is the increased feeling of security and stability. It is mental and physical.

As a result, I find myself wearing my Bull It SR6 pants, but only long sleeve athletic shirts, helmet and gloves. Oh yeah, I also wear the TekVest that I use when snowmobiling. I do not wear my armored jacket, which I wear on the Wing. I probably will eventually shed the pants (well ... I will wear jeans, not just my boxer briefs!)

I just don't think the phrase "dress for the slide, not the ride" applies to the Spyder.

Does anyone else lighten up on the gear when riding three vs two wheels?
    Current Rides:
    2015 Spyder ST-S SM5
    2016 Honda Gold Wing ABS/Navi
    2022 Royal Enfield Classic 350
    2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    I just don't think the phrase "dress for the slide, not the ride" applies to the Spyder.

I dress the same for the Spyder as I did for the Goldwing, albeit that was never all the gear since I've not worn protective overpants. The way I see it the chances of landing on the ground are significantly less with the Spyder than it was with the 'wing, but the landing, if it happens, will be about as damaging as it would have been on the 'wing. So, IMO, dress for the slide does apply to Spyder riding.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

One of the things I like best about owning the Spyder is the increased feeling of security and stability. It is mental and physical.

As a result, I find myself wearing my Bull It SR6 pants, but only long sleeve athletic shirts, helmet and gloves. Oh yeah, I also wear the TekVest that I use when snowmobiling. I do not wear my armored jacket, which I wear on the Wing. I probably will eventually shed the pants (well ... I will wear jeans, not just my boxer briefs!)

I just don't think the phrase "dress for the slide, not the ride" applies to the Spyder. Does anyone else lighten up on the gear when riding three vs two wheels?
    There was a heated discussion on this topic about a year ago. You might as well ask whether to vote Democrat or Republican..

For what it's worth, I'm in favor of ditching all safety gear except the helmet when riding a Spyder, because there is virtually no risk of 'slide'
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Another ATGATT here. Went to pick up at brake tool at harbour freight to do my rear brakes today. Was almost hit twice by "I didn't see you" in the parking lot. I was NOT going fast at all.ATGATT
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    Another ATGATT here. Went to pick up at brake tool at harbour freight to do my rear brakes today. Was almost hit twice by "I didn't see you" in the parking lot. I was NOT going fast at all.ATGATT
    Lew, if they had hit you, how would safety gear have mitigated the injury, do you think?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I admit that I do skip some of the gear from time to time. I'm probably ATGATT 80% of the time. On a trip or out for a couple hundred mile day ride I will gear up. If it gives you peace of mind then wear it. Some folks like hi-viz gear and that's fine even though people fail to see or hear trains, trucks, fire trucks, etc. all the time. If hi-viz and extra lighting gives you peace of mind then go for it.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

My 2 wheelers … wouldn't think of getting on them without ATGATT. But my two CanAms … helmet, gloves,motorcycle boots and pants and racing jersey. Ryker I chance because I am mainly on back roads, driving slowly and no traffic. Spyder because I've had two bouts with heat stroke and can't take the heat. My ATGATT suit is a Aerostitch Darian. As I've gotten older it's tolerable (on the 2 wheelers) if moving, but if stopped I melt. Behind the windshield of the Spyder, with no air on me, I just can't take it, even moving. But I tolerate it on the bikes because it really saved my butt one time. Had a get off at about 60 mph on a back road. After rolling down the street I was able to get up immediately and call the wife to come bring the trailer. Totaled the bike, suit, gloves and helmet. But I had no road rash, nothing broken, no bleeding, just a little sore. So I replaced the suit and now ride a lot at night because of the Texas heat. I know I'm taking a chance on the CanAms but it's the only way I can manage to ride them and don't want to give up riding them.
    Spyder F3-S Special Series my traveling ride
    Ryker Rally modified for dual sport duty
    Honda Grom heavily modified for dual sport duty
    Ducati Scrambler Icon Dark my other traveling ride

Spyder Garage

I made a deal with my wife(celebrated 28 years May 16) that I would wear ATGATT. Partly because I do not trust others for my well-being, and as awesome as my GS is, it's not nimble as two wheels, but after nearly taking a dirt nap in 2001, non riding related, I kinda wanna increase the odds on being married for another 28 years. I personally don't mind if folks wanna wear flip flops and shorts, no helmet(where legal) and a t-shirt. I just know after seeing first hand the results of flesh meeting pavement at high speeds, that trust I mentioned still will not stop me when riding at higher speeds on major highways and parkways.
    IT IS, WHAT IT IS...

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    For what it's worth, I'm in favor of ditching all safety gear except the helmet when riding a Spyder, because there is virtually no risk of 'slide'
    The way I see it if you have a collision, or go off the road, at highway speeds and above you're going to be thrown off the Spyder, and that will always end at contact with the ground, and that most likely while your body is still moving. So, the chance of sliding is very low, but still possible.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

If he was still participating you could ask Doc Humphries about how severely Kathy was injured when she hit a deer at about 55 and was wearing no protective gear at all. RIP, Kathy. ATGATT!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

You might be at (very slightly) less risk of 'sliding' on a Spyder than you are when riding a 2-wheeled machine, but seriously, you should keep in mind the fact that there's Absolbloodylutely NO protective bodywork between you and any hazards out there that might injure you; which effectively means that the ONLY thing that actually stands any chance of protecting you in any way from that greater potential for harm than you'd experience if travelling in a cage in the event of something occurring that you cannot avoid or foresee is the protective gear you are wearing..... or is that only the gear you might be wearing? Or possibly it's the gear you should have been wearing? Or maybe that could end up being the gear that you really wish you had been wearing??

This Forum has recorded at least one event with a tragic outcome that MAY have had a completely and far less tragic outcome if only the person concerned had been wearing something just a little more protective than the comfortable & cool clothing they'd been wearing at the time..... And it was the completely unexpected slide that did the damage too!!

It might be bloody easy to have 20/20 hindsight & pontificate on all this; but is it really all that much harder to think ahead a tiny bit and dress to at least mitigate a little the potential for the injuries that you are very likely to suffer if, heaven forbid, something you don't expect or want to happen occurs and the very first thing to hit the hazard, the obstacle, the scenery, or the road surface is your basically un-protected skin!! Just remember that they call them 'accidents' for a reason - they aren't something you plan to happen, they're something you generally plan to avoid if at all possible! But they DO sometimes happen, and they almost invariably happen when you least expect it &/or are least prepared for it!!

So that's why I'm basically an ATGATT person, altho there might be the odd occasion where I make an informed decision to wear something a little less protective than the full on gear I usually wear - but even then, there's always a helmet, boots & gloves involved, and usually a fair bit of kevlar or similar material between me & any potential gravel rash, as well as at least some CE Armour protecting those limbs, joints, and other parts I feel pretty attached to keeping in working order!!

Of course, YMMV, and it is your ryde, your choice, buuut....
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Lew, if they had hit you, how would safety gear have mitigated the injury, do you think?
    Hi Pete,

To answer your ? No------ not this time. There have been other times I thank my luck stars that I had gear on. Coming up Mt Rose hyw and seeing the luminescent deer eyes. Didn't hit it but did have to change my shorts so to speak. Far to many other times when distracted drivers ( cell phones, eating, smoking something, looking somewhere other than ahead, ect,ect.) " Oh I did't see you" Really--- how many HUNDREDS of ryders on this site have heard those words.
    The OP has every right to wear what he wants, but not me or my wife will ride unprepared for our rides. Going to do Pikes Peak this summer---- would you ride that road without your gear????

Lew L
    Last edited by Lew L; 06-02-2020 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Speeling

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    Hi Pete,

To answer your ? No------ not this time. There have been other times I thank my luck stars that I had gear on. Coming up Mt Rose hyw and seeing the luminescent deer eyes. Didn't hit it but did have to change my shorts so to speak. Far to many other times when distracted drivers ( cell phones, eating, smoking something, looking somewhere other than ahead, ect,ect.) " Oh I did't see you" Really--- how many HUNDREDS of ryders on this site have heard those words.
    The OP has every right to wear what he wants, but not me or my wife will ride unprepared for our rides. Going to do Pikes Peak this summer---- would you ride that road without your gear????

Lew L
    Seriously Lew, I don't think any amount of gear would save me if I drove off that road!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    You might be at (very slightly) less risk of 'sliding' on a Spyder than you are when riding a 2-wheeled machine, but seriously, you should keep in mind the fact that there's Absolbloodylutely NO protective bodywork between you and any hazards out there that might injure you; which effectively means that the ONLY thing that actually stands any chance of protecting you in any way from that greater potential for harm than you'd experience if travelling in a cage in the event of something occurring that you cannot avoid or foresee is the protective gear you are wearing..... or is that only the gear you might be wearing? Or possibly it's the gear you should have been wearing? Or maybe that could end up being the gear that you really wish you had been wearing??

This Forum has recorded at least one event with a tragic outcome that MAY have had a completely and far less tragic outcome if only the person concerned had been wearing something just a little more protective than the comfortable & cool clothing they'd been wearing at the time..... And it was the completely unexpected slide that did the damage too!!

It might be bloody easy to have 20/20 hindsight & pontificate on all this; but is it really all that much harder to think ahead a tiny bit and dress to at least mitigate a little the potential for the injuries that you are very likely to suffer if, heaven forbid, something you don't expect or want to happen occurs and the very first thing to hit the hazard, the obstacle, the scenery, or the road surface is your basically un-protected skin!! Just remember that they call them 'accidents' for a reason - they aren't something you plan to happen, they're something you generally plan to avoid if at all possible! But they DO sometimes happen, and they almost invariably happen when you least expect it &/or are least prepared for it!!

So that's why I'm basically an ATGATT person, altho there might be the odd occasion where I make an informed decision to wear something a little less protective than the full on gear I usually wear - but even then, there's always a helmet, boots & gloves involved, and usually a fair bit of kevlar or similar material between me & any potential gravel rash, as well as at least some CE Armour protecting those limbs, joints, and other parts I feel pretty attached to keeping in working order!!

Of course, YMMV, and it is your ryde, your choice, buuut....
    So, Democrats or Republicans?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    If he was still participating you could ask Doc Humphries about how severely Kathy was injured when she hit a deer at about 55 and was wearing no protective gear at all. RIP, Kathy. ATGATT!
    It was the head injury that did it. No helmet.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Most people think it will never happen to them until it does. Remember though, there is no low side slide of the bike with a Spyder. If someone pulls out in front of you, or you lose it, it's all high side. Over the bars you go. As you superman through the air (and you will put your arms forward if you can) you might end up with spaghetti and meatball face if you have no helmet. No gloves? Every pebble and rock will be embedded in your palms. No Boots? Broken ankles.

If you end up ragdoll because you where going over 45 mph... No skin on your elbows, or knees. Meat grated from your shoulders like cheese. No helmet at high speeds? Closed casket funeral.

But hey, you do you...

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Atgatt

Seriously Lew, I don't think any amount of gear would save me if I drove off that road!
    Truth in that Pete. There are markers on many of the roads around here where accidents have occurred and people died. Mostly ( by a large margin ) auto accidents. I ryde these roads a lot and there are plenty of places where a wobbling accident could occur causing something other than a slide. And I still go too fast on them cause it's such great fun---- especially with the upgraded ECU. I also ski way to fast for a man my age and I wear protective gear on the slopes also.

So, "seriously Pete, I'll be that ATGATT fella.

Lew L

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's the helmet that i never compromise on. My last crash left a hole in my helmet. Glad i had it on. Not sure what could have prevented the broken ribs. I will confess to sometimes wearing shorts, if its really hot. For short trips. Very short trips.

~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Spyder Garage

I base my ATGATT logic on the worst case scenerio I might encounter. Don’t think it matters whether you are on two or three wheels when a another vehicle T-Bones your ride or pulls out in front of you at an intersection.

Spyder Garage

I just do the helmets for the wife and myself. Need big ear plugs for grumpy people yelling at me "Its not a motorcycle" for some reason .
    Wear what you want and dont worry about what other do, it's ok to make your own choice because we are adults.
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

It was the head injury that did it. No helmet.
    Yes, it was ultimately but Steve's description of the "get off" is something none of us would want to experience with or without gear.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Sometimes that feeling of increased security may make you complacent. There was a member here who t-boned a car with his spyder, and admitted to being at fault. I know I've lost my train of thought for just a second or two, once or twice, and had to hit those binders, and down shift quickly (SM5).

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AVBIZ View Post
    I base my ATGATT logic on the worst case scenerio I might encounter. Don’t think it matters whether you are on two or three wheels when a another vehicle T-Bones your ride or pulls out in front of you at an intersection.
    True, but even the best safety gear (excluding air bag type) won't protect from severe impact. The OP was specifically referring to the 'slide', not being catapulted off the bike.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

One of the things I like best about owning the Spyder is the increased feeling of security and stability. I just don't think the phrase "dress for the slide, not the ride" applies to the Spyder.
    I think for Spyders, the incantation should be 'dress for the ride, not for the slide'.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I dress the same for the Spyder as I did for the Goldwing.
    Same here, I dress the same as when I had my Goldwing too. ATGATT! YOU'RE STILL RIDING ON A SEAT WITH NO SEAT BELT AND NO PROTECTION. IF YOU GET HIT YOU'LL SUFFER THE SAME CONSEQUENCES. WE'RE NO SAFER ON OUR SPYDERS THAN WE WERE ON OUR TWO-WHEELERS - WEAR THE GEAR - PLEASE !!!!!!!
    2019 F3 Limited
    2019 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue