Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Anyone tried/used a Safer Turn (S2T) Smart Brake Module?

I saw a couple old threads regarding a module that would activate brake lights with any deceleration, without applying brakes. However I found no info regarding the safer-turn.com smart brake module. Has anyone tried/used this? My brand new ride is an F3-S Special Series, and I am trying to glean more info about this device. Yes I do generally tap the brake pedal at least once any time I slow down. but thinking this module would be great, if it actually is compatible and functions on my Spyder.

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

You can make them so sensitive that your brake lights come on more than they’re off, which makes people ignore your lights completely. Go with a brake light modulator that will flash your lights when you hit the brakes. Custom Dynamics sells one

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Spyder Pops has them also, It is a plug and play unit that takes about 5 mins. to install .
    Last edited by tntnj; 06-03-2020 at 07:27 AM. Reason: spelling

Spyder Garage

I received replies from both Custom Dynamics and TricLED re: F3 brake strobes. here are their replies

1.) TricLED:
    Hi Jeff, at this we do not because the turn signal is tied into the brake line. The F3 is the only one that shares this output so it can’t be done at this time. We’re looking into possibly a different part of this harness to maybe grab that signal so stay tuned.
    Thank you for your inquiry

Best regards,
    Reggy

2.) Custom Dynamics:
    Good Morning, Jeff!

Thank you for considering Custom Dynamics for your 2019 Can Am F3-S! Unfortunately we're unable to offer a Magic Strobes brake light flasher for your particular model due to the parameters of the vehicle's electrical system and the way the rear lighting is wired. There are both high and low load thresholds on your bike which make adding/changing lighting or incorporating modules more complex.

While we unfortunately can't offer the particular product you had in mind, please don't hesitate to let me know if you have any additional questions and/or if there's anything else I might be able to help you with in the future! Thank you again for considering Custom Dynamics! Have a wonderful week!
    Thank You, Erin

The decel light will work from smart turn ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24BC...eid=2f669cf814
    Hi there,

I've got some great news for you!
    SMART BRAKE MODULE
    IS FULLY COMPATIBLE WITH YOUR BIKE

It is time to enhance your visibility to the next level.

You might wonder, how can the SMART BRAKE MODULE improve your safety on the road.

I kindly invite you to see it for yourself.

Click on the play button below and see the YouTube review from Mr Stuart Fillingham, a former emergency services employee who reviewed the Smart Brake Module.

Click the play button to see the SBM review
    Amazing, right?

We want you in our community of

#SMARTRIDERS

so let me offer you a little incentive.

You won't like it. You will love it!
    Smart Brake Module

The Smart Brake Module comes with an offer you can't refuse:
    20% DISCOUNT
    (save some for the fuel tank - sounds nice, doesn't it?)
    LIFETIME WARRANTY
    (Instead of the 2-year warranty, we have you covered for life)​
    60-DAY SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
    (Give it a try, and if you don't like it, we will give you your money back, no questions asked - This is how much we believe in our product.)

SECURE YOUR SPECIAL OFFER

Just as the Smart Brake Module will activate your brake light on engine braking automatically, your special offer will appear automatically as well.

Click on the button below to
    ACTIVATE THE COUPON CODE LIFETIME20
    and secure your special offer!
    I WANT TO ACTIVATE MY SPECIAL OFFER
    Your discount and free lifetime warranty will apply automatically
    by clicking the button above.
    The special offer applies to all products in the STS shop.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I have Installed this additional brake light on high on the trunk of my 2016 R T Limited :

“ADMORE LIGHT BAR WITH SMART BRAKE TECHNOLOGY“

https://admorelighting.com/product/a...ration-safety/

It not only adds a brake light and sequenced flashers or blinkers, it also adds a deceleration module to sense downshifting
    You can also adjust the sensitivity of the downshifting, and many other variables in the software.

2022 Spyder RT Limited Sea to Sky Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Thanks all! I have the F3-S Special so I knew there were some compatibility issues with brake flash modules. Think I'm going to give the smart brake module from smart turn a try. I will post my opinions/results if and when I do it.

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

The canbus does not like adding anything to your circuits, but this might work.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079NN72MK...coding=UTF8&me
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlebars View Post

Nice .. It's $15 cheaper with coupon thru the mfr, but mailed from UK. I'd go thru Prime for timeliness..

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

That is exactly what I have my eye on!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Revjames View Post
    That is exactly what I have my eye on!
    Well .. Order it, get it installed and let me know how it goes !!

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    Well .. Order it, get it installed and let me know how it goes !!
    I probably will. Got a code tonight for 30% off. My main fear is it interfering with blinkers, if blinkers and brake lights are same wire which I believe they are. I am mechanically handy, but when it comes to anything electrical I generally defer those tasks to folks more qualified!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Revjames View Post
    I probably will. Got a code tonight for 30% off. My main fear is it interfering with blinkers, if blinkers and brake lights are same wire which I believe they are. I am mechanically handy, but when it comes to anything electrical I generally defer those tasks to folks more qualified!
    Different models are wired differently. The t and ltd have bag lights & separate amber signal lights in a separate housing from the brake lights. The F3 base has dual purpose light housings, signals are not separate from the brake light. One can probably add extra LED brake lights which function as only brake lights to work with the item being discussed. Of course, one might add a diode to the line to prevent feedback into the circuit on the base model.

Here are the wire colors for the F3T and Limited saddle bag lights. Note that on the "to bike" side the wires are different color for the signal whereas the "to light" side has the same colors for both the right and left.

2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder F3-S Safer Turn ST2 Smart Brake Module - How?

Hi Troop - did you ever get yours hooked up? I ordered 2 for my two F3-S (2015) bikes and can't get them to work. I simply must have them plugged in, in the wrong place. I emailed the dealer when I saw that under my seat the wires split into two: one going to the left brake light and one going to the right.... he said it didn't matter just hook it onto one and it would work. We'll see my video here to see how it does "not" seem to work. Can't get a reply from the manufacturer. All I need to figure out is exactly which wires to snap these onto and it would be easy. See video here.
    https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/0...7CfJw#PC000303

Spyder Garage

Never ordered one. Hopefully the dealer will get back to you

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by george123 View Post
    I have Installed this additional brake light on high on the trunk of my 2016 R T Limited :

“ADMORE LIGHT BAR WITH SMART BRAKE TECHNOLOGY“

https://admorelighting.com/product/a...ration-safety/
    About 10 years ago, I added the "dumb" version of that light to my wife's 2-wheeler.
    (They did not have the "smart" version at that time.)

Even though it's "dumb", it still has tail/brake and sequential turn signals, with a modulator on the brake light. About the only "smart" feature on it is that it takes a few seconds with the brake light OFF before it will go through the modulation cycle again. If you are stopped in traffic, with frequent application of the brake, it is less likely to upset the driver behind you with the constant flashing every time you step on the brake.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

I have the same Admore dumb LED strip since 2013. After 15 seconds off the brake, the 3-flash then solid on routine kicks in again. I've moved that unit to each bike I've had since. Trying to get up the energy to rip the rear end apart to install on the RT.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Ok, after lots of challenges, I got the Safer Turn ST2 Smart Brake Module to work with my 2015 Can Am Spyder F3-S. I had about 3 different problems that combined to quite the challenge. While one of the problems is embarrassing to admit, I'm putting my email below to Mark at Safer Turn to help anyone in the future. Note: I just got it on yesterday, and I've only been out on one drive (in January!) and had to keep looking behind my back to see the lights which is quite hard. The next step is to go out with my wife following me around and see how it works longer term. I'll report back in the spring after a lot more riding. I am excited that I finally got it to work though.

Email..
    Ok, after another hour (along with research and testing) I have now had SOME success.
    First Note:
    You need to update the wording on your manual/installation instructions.
    It said something like
    “if you want it to flash, install with the logo upside-down”
    - I understood this to mean install with the logo ORIENTED upside down”

In this case, then, I had the box installed with the logo on the side of the box, oriented upside down.
    I NOW know that to install with the logo upside down means:

“install it with the logo on the bottom, or facing downward”

The problem is part the english language and part, not knowing what the actual “top” of the box is.
    I understood the top of the box to be decided as you are looking at the logo on the “side” of the box. But in fact, the side with the logo is itself the “top.”

Ok, onto the next thing.

Our bike has 2 physical lights (can am spyder f3-s 2015)
    I had originally asked you about the problem that there are 2 sets of wires, one going to the left and one going to the right, but you told me don’t worry it will work for both if you just hook it on one side. I knew that was wrong, and confirmed it when it started to work with just the one side flashing.

Then I had to look at bike schematics…. but the schematics in the manual (attached) are actually slightly different than reality. So I did some guesswork.
    There is a brake “box” and I knew it would need to be connected at the output of the brake box before it split into the 2 different lights. But, there was no power coming out of the brake box.

In the end, I have gotten it to work by taping into the “customer accessory” for power.

The problem I’m having is that it does seem to occasionally NOT work - I’m going to need to experiment with location and how it is installed to see if that helps. It could be due to the following:

Another problem:
    The cables coming out of the brake box are much thicker than the ones going directly to the lights. The ones going directly to the lights are the width/size of what the included clamps are supposed to hook onto.
    But the ones coming out of the box are much thicker and the clamps needed to be really worked in to get them to cut down to the wire and make contact. This is another problem I believe why many times it did not work even when I had it hooked up correctly.

I’m attaching a picture that shows how I do have it installed.

IMG_2967.jpg
    spyder brake diagram 1.jpg

Spyder Garage

If you want to flash your tail lights, just use one of these flashers from Amazon inserted into the white wire before the BFM.

If they are LED.

canamf3sbrake.jpg

Spyder Garage

Correct me if I'm wrong Rattlebars, but I do believe all those flashers from Amazon do is flash your brake lights, after YOU step on the brakes. The ST2 system starts flashing them when you decelerate, which is what I wanted. It wouldn't do me any good on the spyder if it only flashes when I hit the brake - I was already doing that (stepping multiple times to flash).

Spyder Garage

I have a "brake free" helmet light installed on one of my helmets. It does the job. Is very large and noticeable. The light has a decelerometer in it...so no wiring. The unit will cost you about $180. It comes from Hong Kong, so delivery takes about a month and a half. My only complaint with the unit.

The unit lights up when you decelerate, tap the brake, or shift. Any action that breaks up your current forward motion.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Something like that should be required on diesel pickups with exhaust brakes!

I installed a third brake light and a module to flash it for a set time and then go stead on as long as the brake is held on. The LED module has 21 selectable flash sequences.

The third picture show where the time module is located. However that wires were from the first LED light that was replaced with a different model.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2018 RT Limited - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix/ 2018 RT Limited Chrome
    Champagne Metallic Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker)Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Federal Formosa's front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zuno XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer up North and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM drivers backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with volt meter, dash cam, foam grips - magic mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Well, If you just want an extra brake light without having to do the install work on the spyder, you may be interested in this:

https://www.brakefreetech.com/

It doesn't add turn signals, but does give a "brake light" even when just doing engine braking.

Spyder Garage

+ 1 on the Brakefree unit, but, if I'm riding helmetless, then the ST2 Brake Module at least provides the feature on the Spyder's original brake light. Both can only be a smidge safer.
    Last edited by DGoebel; 07-13-2022 at 12:45 AM. Reason: S2T ;-)
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Hi,

I have installed ST2 on my 2019 RT LTD, it works well. However, once in a while I notice that my brakes flash continually when the key is switched on, so must be a bug. I always look at my brake lights before I get on my bike & before moving. However, the one time I did not look, I was flagged down by a fellow driver saying my brakes lights were pulsing on and off. Other than that, I do notice other vehicles are now keeping their distance when I decel and I am happy with that for sure. Can never be too safe!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-13-2022 at 03:05 AM. Reason: ' 's, ','s, & H's ;-)
    2019 RT LIMITED , Intstalled Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Hi,

Just received my ST2 a few days ago, where did you clamp your wires and position the unit ?
    Last edited by Serdu; 08-23-2022 at 02:09 PM.
    Spyder RTL 2019 - Phoenix Orange