Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Any hints on checking rear tire Air Pressure-F3L

Woah, need hints on keeping track of rear tire air pressure on '20 F3 L

BTW, really enjoying my new to me F3 L, thanks again Russ.

Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-30-2023 at 03:18 PM. Reason: track. ;-)
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

“Keeping track”, Dean? The best way of keeping track, costs. Buy FOBO (2) or similar. That way you can check pressure before and during every ride, and only have to crawl under the Spyder when necessary to top up.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's what I was thinking, thanks.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

I added the FOBO Bike 2 for Trike Pressure Monitoring Systems to mine and it works quite well.

Spyder Garage

FOBO costs. But is much better than trying to clock the tire so you can even have a chance to get at the valve stem. Hunker down and get your arm to bend where it doesn't. Then lose air trying to get an accurate reading which guarantees the pressure is not going to be right, at that point, Then repeating the process until you get lucky enough to hit everything just right.

Did I mention it's literally a Pain in the Rear to get accurate pressure on that tire by conventional means?
    Last edited by BajaRon; 06-30-2023 at 11:53 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

To tell you the truth, I look down at my tire before I jump on, most people can tell if they have a slack tire, if it looks good, I ride. I have got down a checked my tires several times when I first got my bike and you know what I found, it didn't change from the first time, other than the air I lost when I was trying to get the darn gauge on the stem! It's your money, buy the FOBO's and have that piece of mind if you want; me set it and forget it unless there's a BIG temp change! Ride more, worry less! PS. I know I am about to get flamed but, a question for anyone that wants to be real, anyone one that runs the FOBO's, how many times do you have to make a change in pressure in a season? Truthfully
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-30-2023 at 03:17 PM. Reason: ' 's ;-)
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

These TMPS systems.

If you go out to your parked machine, will it tell you what the pressures before you move it at all or do you have to ride it for ?? ,.... some distance to wake it up. If so how far?
    2017 F3 Ltd

Spyder Garage

Last month I finally ordered FOBO for my 2020 F3 limited. Like you it was a pain to get the rear tire to the correct orientation to get my gauge down there to read. With the FOBO I can turn on my phone as I am walking out to the garage and see my tire pressure before I even place the key in the ignition. It was a bit pricy at around $150, but now that I have it, I feel it was worth the money. The package says the batteries should last around one year and there is one battery per valve stem "cap". If the funds are available, it is worth it. And while you are ryding around (or stopping to get fuel) it is effortless to check the pressures in all the tires in one glance at your phone. You don't even have to carry extra tools or get your hands dirty.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-30-2023 at 03:15 PM. Reason: on... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Isopedella View Post
    These TMPS systems.

If you go out to your parked machine, will it tell you what the pressures before you move it at all or do you have to ride it for ?? ,.... some distance to wake it up. If so how far?
    Aaaaaargh. I typed all this in answer to your question, Iso, and then saw Redbeard’s reply above. Don’t bother reading any further

It is constantly awake, Iso. As you approach the Spyder and bring your phone within BT range, it will pick up the current pressures from FOBO. Check your phone before getting your helmet/gloves etc on, and you’ll know if you need to add air

Pete
    Last edited by Peteoz; 06-30-2023 at 05:17 PM.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Sweet. Just placed an order, dug deep and ordered a Fobo for my F3.
    2017 F3 Ltd

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

During all my first rear tire swaps I drilled a new " air valve hole " on the opposite side of the wheel and put in an angled ( 87* ) metal valve from " Kurvey Girl " .... problem solved .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    During all my first rear tire swaps I drilled a new " air valve hole " on the opposite side of the wheel and put in an angled ( 87* ) metal valve from " Kurvey Girl " .... problem solved .... Mike
    Care to post a photo of that at all?

Which fitting is your TPMS fitted to?

Guess you wont have to dismantle the TMPS to add some air when its required.

Lets have all the info.
    Last edited by Isopedella; 07-01-2023 at 01:23 AM.
    2017 F3 Ltd

Spyder Garage

Care to post a photo of that at all?

Which fitting is your TPMS fitted to?

Guess you wont have to dismantle the TMPS to add some air when its required.

Lets have all the info.
    There’s no “dismantling” to add air, Iso. 95% of FOBO users don’t bother with the locks, and there have been zero reports of them being stolen or coming loose. Removing the FOBO reader is exactly the same as removing a valve cap.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    There’s no “dismantling” to add air, Iso. 95% of FOBO users don’t bother with the locks, and there have been zero reports of them being stolen or coming loose. Removing the FOBO reader is exactly the same as removing a valve cap.

Pete
    Pete, Do you have to re-pair the FOBO reader to your phone when you remove for adding air to the tire...

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    FOBO costs. But is much better than trying to clock the tire so you can even have a chance to get at the valve stem. Hunker down and get your arm to bend where it doesn't. Then lose air trying to get an accurate reading which guarantees the pressure is not going to be right, at that point, Then repeating the process until you get lucky enough to hit everything just right.

Did I mention it's literally a Pain in the Rear to get accurate pressure on that tire by conventional means?

I read somewhere that FOBO recommends using a metal valve stem... Are riders just using the factory rubber valve stem without any problems?
    RiderDuke

My Ride
    2021 Glacial Blue Metallic F3-T

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RiderDuke View Post
    Pete, 1. Do you have to re-pair the FOBO reader to your phone when you remove for adding air to the tire...

I read somewhere that FOBO recommends using a metal valve stem... 2. Are riders just using the factory rubber valve stem without any problems?
    Another Peter from Oz, but:

1. No; and

2. Yes, many are!

2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I pretty much agree with all the posts. I bought the FOBO strictly for peace of mind, but I rarely have to add air. To be honest, its also a cool thing to show off to friends.

I did find I had to turn off the FOBO app or it would drain my phone battery.
    2016 S6E , Red

Spyder Garage

Cheers for the replys. Learning fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post

Pete
    Yeah ..thinking now I wont bother with the locks. Thought they held them in.
    Not much chance of just the valve being nicked down my way.

Quote Originally Posted by narygancy View Post
    I pretty much agree with all the posts. I bought the FOBO strictly for peace of mind, but I rarely have to add air. To be honest, its also a cool thing to show off to friends.

Himm. Phone Apps. haha Another story.
    I will have to investigate the turning that APP off as I dont need 24/7 monitoring.

Happy enough to know at the start of the day they are all Tickety Boo.

I guess it will be in the book of words supplied.
    2017 F3 Ltd

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RiderDuke View Post
    Pete, Do you have to re-pair the FOBO reader to your phone when you remove for adding air to the tire...

I read somewhere that FOBO recommends using a metal valve stem... Are riders just using the factory rubber valve stem without any problems?
    Peter has already answered this, Duke, but to elaborate slightly…..when you remove the FOBO unit from the tyre, all that happens is FOBO warns you on your phone that you have zero psi in that tyre. After you reinstall the unit, the psi reappears on your phone almost immediately.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Cheers for the replys. Learning fast.

Himm. Phone Apps. haha Another story.
    I will have to investigate the turning that APP off as I dont need 24/7 monitoring.

Happy enough to know at the start of the day they are all Tickety Boo.

I guess it will be in the book of words supplied.
    Iso, I can only assume that NaryGancy leaves his phone close enough to his Spyder that BT can constantly communicate with it, thus draining his phone battery. I don’t see that issue as my phone is kept 50metres away. One plus of leaving the FOBO BT connection on, is that when you approach the garage, FOBO will tell you if you have low psi, even if you are simply walking past, which means you can address the issue prior to your next planned ride.

Of course, if you have to leave your phone close to your Spyder, permanent connection is impractical.

Make sure you ask questions on here when installing, as there is a significant amount of knowledge, and there can be some install “gotchas” for new users

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I take it that a Smart Phone is required................All we have are basic flip phones...... All my BMW's have an Air Pressure display on the Panel, even tells tire pressure in each tire.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by old Timer View Post
    I take it that a Smart Phone is required................All we have are basic flip phones...... All my BMW's have an Air Pressure display on the Panel, even tells tire pressure in each tire.
    Yes, a phone with Bluetooth connection is required, Old Timer.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Bluetooth! Do Dentures count?
    2017 F3 Ltd

Spyder Garage

Bluetooth! Do Dentures count?
    Only if you paint one of them blue.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by narygancy View Post

Thank you for coming out and saying that! I myself think Fobo's are like Dampers(how'd I do this time Ron?) Keep it simple and don't give yourself something else to have to watch and maintain. What did we do before all of this crap? Keep it stupid simple!!! But at the end of the day, your money and your piece of mind. Good day!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Hello Again Pete: Actually I keep my phone with me but the app stays "on" and continues to show my air pressure, even when the reading is 2 days old! Maybe I'm doing something wrong but it seems my battery drains a whole lot faster since I installed FOBO, but if I turn it off after the ride things are OK. I don't ride every day so I only turn it on when I do.

BTW: I love reading your posts, you share some real knowledge about Spyders as a help to us newbies (this is my second year on 3 wheels).
    2016 S6E , Red