Spyder Garage

Default Dealer says tire not will not fit

Brought the bike 2015 RT limited to the local dealer to install Yokohama Avid Envigor 205 65 R15 tire and was told that they would not mount it because it would not fit. Has anyone else mounted this tire on a 2015 RT?

Spyder Garage

He's probably saying that because it's a car tire! If you have a dealer that will change your tires over to car tires give him a tip, when he's done! They are hard to find!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

They were willing to put a car tire but said it was the wrong size and would not clear. Still looking for someone who has this mounted as they are doing a major service and I might still have time to catch them before they replace the tire with the CanAm tire.

Spyder Garage

While I don't specifically recall if I've seen that particular tire fitted, I have seen many of that size of tire fitted, even had more than one of that nominal size fitted on my own Spyder RT; so that sized tire definitely SHOULD fit on any year OE Spyder rear rim (they're all the same dia & width!) and they have been fitted safely and legally quite often here in Oz, where the rules for acceptable size variations are generally stricter than yours!

If your dealer can't fit it for you cos they think it won't fit, then maybe you should seriously question their skills & ability to do anything else at all on your Spyder?!

Ps: most 215/65R15 tires will also fit (larger rolling dia again!) as will many 225/65R15 tires (even more larger!!) Heck I've even seen a Spyder running a 195/75R15 on the rear.... (nominally about 10% larger rolling dia!) - not that I'd recommend that last one, but it can be done!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-02-2020 at 10:39 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by View from behind View Post
    They were willing to put a car tire but said it was the wrong size and would not clear. Still looking for someone who has this mounted as they are doing a major service and I might still have time to catch them before they replace the tire with the CanAm tire.
    That tire will NOT fit on the front, ( you didn't state where ) ..... However there are folks here who have used that size ( on the rear ) and haven't reported a fitment problem. .... I realize not all 205/65-15 tires are EXACTLY the same size. ...... good luck ..... Mike ..... PS, I found ...three " Avid Envigor " tire models .... which one do you have ????...... Read my post #8 for more accurate info .....

Spyder Garage

Thanks for replying and yes it was for the rear.

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Tires of the same numbers may differ in actual size.
    Some years ago, I replaced the rear tire on my Bonneville, same numbers, but so tall it would not turn when on center stand.

Best to compare actual height and width.

Tire rack.com lists actual dimensions for tires they sell, see specs at bottom of each tire listing

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Avid Envigor

I just did some research on this and the info was from the tire Manufacturer .... It's almost impossible to get actual specs for the Kenda tire so I used the most common tire that most folks use to replace it in the 225/50-15 size, the Kumho asta which is 9.2" Wide and 23.9 High .... The Yoko 205/65-15 is 8.2 wide and 25.5 High .... and this might not fit !!!! .... that Yoko also comes in a 205/ 60-15 size which is also 8.2 Wide and 24.7 high and I believe JC Thorne has mounted many this size without any issues ....... Mike

Spyder Garage

We use a Yoko Advan 205/55R15 and its exactly the same diameter as the OEM Kenda. (less than 1/8" from the same width too) The OP is suggesting a 205/65R15 which is much taller. I would not suggest using the 65 aspect tire.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by View from behind View Post
    Brought the bike 2015 RT limited to the local dealer to install Yokohama Avid Envigor 205 65 R15 tire and was told that they would not mount it because it would not fit. Has anyone else mounted this tire on a 2015 RT?
    I'm curious; what caused you to buy this tire in this size to begin with?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I think what happened was that I transposed the 55 for a 65 when I placed the order. I had got the information from this site when searching for a replacement. This is totally my fault. Thanks to everyone who responded.