Spyder Garage

Default Battery Tender Cable Installation

Hi folks. New to this group and about to purchase a '19 F3 Limited. The first thing I do with all my motorcycles is to install the SAE cable for a Battery Tender. One of my bike models gets so upset when the battery gets disconnected that it has to go back to a dealer to have them reset the electronic information system. Just wanted to know if there is a similar situation with the Spyder losing its mind when the battery cables are even briefly disconnected. And I guess, while I'm at it, what is the best way to route the Tender cable to provide easy access to plug it into the Battery Tender? I've found that leaving any bike connected to its tender when not in use results in excellent battery life. Thanks!
    2019 Can Am F3 Limited

Spyder Upgrades/mods:
    F4 Windscreen,
    Ultimate seat and Driver's backrest,
    Lamonster Fog lights,
    Lamonster Brake Rod kit,
    CanAm Short Reach Handlebar

Other Current Bike: 2009 Honda Shadow 750 Aero

Past Bikes:
    2018 BMW C650CT
    2013 BMW C650GT
    2011 Honda SH150i
    2019 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scorpion56 View Post
    Hi folks. New to this group and about to purchase a '19 F3 Limited. The first thing I do with all my motorcycles is to install the SAE cable for a Battery Tender. One of my bike models gets so upset when the battery gets disconnected that it has to go back to a dealer to have them reset the electronic information system. Just wanted to know if there is a similar situation with the Spyder losing its mind when the battery cables are even briefly disconnected. And I guess, while I'm at it, what is the best way to route the Tender cable to provide easy access to plug it into the Battery Tender? I've found that leaving any bike connected to its tender when not in use results in excellent battery life. Thanks!
    I’m sorry, this isn’t an answer to your question. Your post tickled my funny bone. Assuming it’s one of the BMWs that has issues when the battery is disconnected, I have to ask: does BMW stand for “Battery Might Work”?

MWO (Ret'd) SJ Barnes
    ‘20 RTL Stone Grey
    named Britannia in honour of EE Doc Smith’s
    Grey Lensman’s ship.
    Farkles:
    Bestem Carplay
    canamsypderaccessories hitch and wiring harness,
    showchrome trunk rack,
    12v AND dual USB direct to battery in the frunk,
    dual USB switched in the blank console switch spot (parasites the power off the seat heater switch),
    frunk lid organizer,
    trunk organizer,
    showchrome rider backrest,
    ryder and passenger cup holders,
    ram mount for the iPad mini I use for GPS
    quadlock phone mount
    Nautilus horn
    Data blocker on the glove box USB
    Big Bike Parts highway pegs
    Spyderzone dash pouch
    Convex mirrors

‘20 Ryker 900 (my wife’s ryde)
    Farkles
    Slingmods fwd/rev ‘suicide shifter’
    frunk organizer
    dual horn
    Max mount
    Rear seat with tall back rest (not mounted)
    Ryder backrest (not mounted)
    Side bag
    Top bag

top bag makes a good backrest. Will swap on the rear seat if she ever wants to 2up
    2020 RT Limited , Stone Gray

Spyder Garage

We haven't had any issues with disconnecting the battery leads on the wifes 16 F3T or RTs. On the F3 we routed the SAE lead out the left side behind the A-arm and zip-tied it to the top A-arm with a black zip tie.

Its handy for the battery tender and for a portable compressor with a 7.5 amp fuse in the link...
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

I have disconnected the battery to install accessories on my wife's 19 F3 Limited with no issues. I have done the same for my 2019 F3-S with no issues. On both I installed dual power plates on the center handlebars which had USB power and 12 V plug (cigarette lighter style). Connected it straight to the battery so I plug my battery tender into the 12V plug.

Spyder Garage

I don't think it's going to lose it mind if it's disconnected, but while your there putting that jumper on the battery put some star washers on the terminals keeps the connections nice and tight!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Not a common BMW definition. Although, my newest one was recalled almost immediately for a suspect battery, so maybe you have something there! Our owner clubs (and probably everyone else who has owned one) calls BMW: Break My Wallet. They are well engineered bikes with nice features, but pricey both on the purchase side and the maintenance side.
    2019 Can Am F3 Limited

Spyder Upgrades/mods:
    F4 Windscreen,
    Ultimate seat and Driver's backrest,
    Lamonster Fog lights,
    Lamonster Brake Rod kit,
    CanAm Short Reach Handlebar

Other Current Bike: 2009 Honda Shadow 750 Aero

Past Bikes:
    2018 BMW C650CT
    2013 BMW C650GT
    2011 Honda SH150i
    2019 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue Metallic

Spyder Garage

My F3t came from the dealer with a battery tender plug in the front trunk. They do it at the predelivery inspection.

Spyder Garage

I took my battery out last winter as my garage is unheated. I have a 2018 F3 Limited. Figured I'd do the same as I do for two wheelers. I put the batteries on a tender before I return them to the bikes in the spring. All I had to do was reset my clock on the F3 this spring. Everything else was fine.

As a side note, I added the SAE connection to the F3 this season. As someone indicated above, it's pretty easy to route the lead up to the frunk. The initial panel you pop out to access the battery has just enough room on the left side to simply run the lead into the frunk without any need for drilling or modifying.

I'll likely just leave the battery in this winter and just leave it hooked up to the tender. I'm told even in -30°C this isn't a problem. I'd like to hear from someone who might think this is a bad idea because my mind still isn't made up on this. One more battery on the pallet in my basement isn't a big bother for me should it come to that.
    2018 F3 Limited , Black on black

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My dealer installed a battery tender cable, which I removed as I intend to ride year round. Not wanting the accumulated MPG on the fuel stats to clear, I was able to remove the cable without the battery connection being interrupted... by simply keeping finger pressure on the connector to the battery post.
    YMMV
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

AGM batteries can be stored down to minus 40.
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Spyder Garage

Did you check to see if there is a SAE connector in the frunk (front trunk)? My '17 F3L came with one installed.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Might already have pigtail installed ( some dealers have been nice like that)& might loose trip meters. Think mine reset on one battery swap (was small detail didn’t find till next fill up) also might wanna try:
    http://www.lamonstergarage.com/batte...ers-lamonster/

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

There is an SAE plug in the frunk, but it's fused for 7.5 amps. You can easily replace that fuse with a 10 amp. The wire is heavy enough gauge to run 10 amps (probably 15). Just remove the body clips and lift. You will find it.

Image1.jpg
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey